Your question
Closed

Ram voltage issue with i7

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2010 8:25:48 PM

Built new machine with very little experience on my side and find that I have an issue. Machine restarts with mobo memory error led illuminating.

i7 950 3.06GHZ LGA1366

ASUS P6X58D-E

EVGA GTX 470

Patriot 1333MHz DDR3 6G (3x2gb)
(on ASUS approved list)

Machine ran well for a few hours then restarts and begins a restart loop.

Was informed by intel that voltage on ram is too high and not supported by cpu video controller.

I assume this is an unsophisticated question from a new builder but would appreciate assistance with this issue.

More about : ram voltage issue

Best solution

October 7, 2010 8:45:02 PM

I have that same motherboard and had similar issues, but not to the extent you did and for some reason, i had to swap the memory (3x Sticks) into the blue slots rather than the black.

After reading websites/manual i found out that the blue slots are the first for the DIMMS and the black for the second. So try swapping them to blue from black or from black to blue.

I have Geil Black Dragon and have set the "Auto" for the DRAM Voltage. Dont think these are on the approved list, as i didnt even know there was one lol
October 7, 2010 8:50:50 PM

reccy said:
I have that same motherboard and had similar issues, but not to the extent you did and for some reason, i had to swap the memory (3x Sticks) into the blue slots rather than the black.

After reading websites/manual i found out that the blue slots are the first for the DIMMS and the black for the second. So try swapping them to blue from black or from black to blue.

I have Geil Black Dragon and have set the "Auto" for the DRAM Voltage. Dont think these are on the approved list, as i didnt even know there was one lol

I replaced the Geil I had when I found they were not on the MOBO supported list thinking that was the issue with kingston first and now am on third set of ram sticks with no resolution of restart issue. I have had the ram in the A1, B1 and C1 (Blue) each time. I have tested the ram sticks with ASUS phone support and all are good.

Thanks for the feedback
Score
October 7, 2010 8:54:10 PM

Sounds like motherboard is at fault, i would RMA it back and try for a new one, if 3 sets of sticks are "fine" and working correctly but present this problem then chances are that its something faulty with the motherboard.

Also, i know it may not be connected but its what i had to do, have you reformatted and started from strach with this? I get gettign BSOD and the error was leading me to believe it was memory faults as some google searches presented RAM Issues linked to that blue screen. Changed from black to blue slots and it worked as it only blue screen after serveral hours of gaming rather than minutes. But did a reformat and havent had a blue screen since.
Score
October 15, 2010 7:44:24 AM

reccy said:
Sounds like motherboard is at fault, i would RMA it back and try for a new one, if 3 sets of sticks are "fine" and working correctly but present this problem then chances are that its something faulty with the motherboard.

Also, i know it may not be connected but its what i had to do, have you reformatted and started from strach with this? I get gettign BSOD and the error was leading me to believe it was memory faults as some google searches presented RAM Issues linked to that blue screen. Changed from black to blue slots and it worked as it only blue screen after serveral hours of gaming rather than minutes. But did a reformat and havent had a blue screen since.

Turns out that the thermal paste was not applied correctly. Such a simple error caused major failure. Thanks for the assistance.
Score
October 27, 2010 7:05:52 PM

Best answer selected by simplyt.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 28, 2010 3:00:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!