Sign in with
Your question

Installing Windows 7 on SSD. Migrate or fresh?

Last response: in Storage
October 23, 2012 1:25:39 AM

Hey guys I've a question for you.

I recently finished building my new PC. Specs as follows;

Intel i5 3570k
Antec 300
Corsair GS800 PSU
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
MSI GTX 660 TF OC 2GB SLI
Zalmann CPU cooler
Asrock Extreme IV Z77
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Simmtronics 500GB HDD.

^^^ Herein lies my problem ^^^

My HDD is faulty. It's awfully slow and its making all sorts of unsettling noises. I have ordered a Western Digital 500GB blue, and an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD.
Im going to be reinstalling windows, but what is the best way to do so? I don't care about the data I have on my PC already, as it's only been built. Can I just remove the Simmtronic 500GB, and put in the new HDD and SSD along with my Windows disc and install as if it's all new? Or do I absolutely HAVE to reinstall windows from the recovery menu?

Any help would be great lads, thanks in advance.
a b G Storage
October 23, 2012 6:11:02 AM

Hi, if you don't care about the data, fresh install is the best way, especially on your new ssd, it could help you avoid some problem, such as, you need not care about the sata style is ide or AHCI, you will not worried about the partition is align or not.

However, if you are about your data, or don't want to re install problem, you could use other software to migrate your os to SSD. And then clone all your data from old HDD to New HDD. I find AOMEI Partition Assistant Home edition from CNET which integrate these functions and it is free, you could have a try. BTW, if you chose second method you need to change your sata style from IDE to AHCI, and Align your system partition on new SSD, so that it could optimize your ssd performance.
Below is the download link from CNET, hope it could help you.
http://download.cnet.com/Aomei-Partition-Assistant-Home...
Related resources
!