Overclocking with stock fan

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Fan
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 26, 2010 3:43:19 PM

hey i have a palit 9500gt 512mb 128bit and i want to push it further. i only have a stock fan for this graphics card. can i just stick with this one? if i can overclock this, what could be my limit? and can i use my vtuner instead of using ati tool and rivatuner?

*edited
my power supply is has 500w. does the wattage concerns my overclocking? and i only have 1 fan (1 80mm exhaust). i'm planning to add another 80mm for air intake tomorrow. are these sufficient to maintain the temp of my cpu?

btw, if everything will work fine, this would be my 1st overclocking operation lol. thanks in advance:) 

*edited
sorry guys, noob here :whistle: 

More about : overclocking stock fan

a c 236 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2010 3:49:28 PM

go look at reviews for the card, they always overclock it so see how far they can push it.

it should give you an idea of what the card can do.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:17:22 PM

overclock potential depends on your card..
some 9500gt overclock more than the other, it depends on your luck..
so you can just give a try overclocking it..
i use vtune to oc my gts 250 ...
dont forget to increase the gpu fan speed from vtune set it to some 75 %
and use furmark to test the stability of the card after overclock and use gpu-z to monitor the temperature and all....
if your card get too hot lower the clocks and also if you see artifacts or some other problem lower the clocks...
this is the way you can try overclocking the card...
i hope it helps....

Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:27:11 PM

Your PSU is fine and you can OC with the stock fan although you may want to manually set it higher to go along with the overclock. I recommend rivatuner for overclocking. It can control the fan speed as well.
m
l
June 26, 2010 4:31:04 PM

so i can really use my vtune eh? from there, i saw core clock, shader clock, and memory clock so these were the parameters i can adjust? how can i adjust the fan speed in vtune? and whats the normal temp of a graphics card? thanks:D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:31:21 PM

both rivatuner and vtune are good....
m
l
June 26, 2010 4:35:09 PM

and the temp? my vtunes says that the temp is 61C?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:36:21 PM

you can increase all 3 of them..but increasing memory clock is not going to make much difference...
so play with shader and core clock
there is an option fan control use that to set the fan speed
and don't change the 2d clocks...its not gonna do anything but increase the power consumed when the card is idle
just play with 3d clocks since thats what is going to be used while you play any movie or games or anything like that
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 4:39:12 PM

also get gpu-z and furmark
gpu-z can be used to monitor the card
and furmark for doing a stress test to check the stability of the card after overclocking
m
l
June 26, 2010 4:43:10 PM

how many hours should i run the stress test?

ok so once i adjust through vtuner, i can monitor my gpu's condition through gpu-z?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 5:06:36 PM

yeah...
the longer you run the test the better it is...
20 or 30 min will be enough..thats what i usually do...
and stop the test if something goes wrong in between, like overheating or driver issues or something like that..then lower the clocks and run the test again..
its always better to keep the load temperature below 80c but furmark will push it higher.. so 85 c in furmark is also ok
m
l
June 26, 2010 5:30:38 PM

uhm why is it that i cant slide the bars of my fans in vtune? and in rivatuner, once i checked the box for overclocking, itll recommend to reboot my system? after rebooting, the box becomes uncheck again, and there it comes back to rebooting my comp.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 5:40:28 PM

thats why i dont use rivatuner... may be a bug in it..
in vtune it will be set to dynamic speed.... change it to fixed speed and move the bar
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 5:41:56 PM

forgot one thing....dont use 2 software for overclocking... stick to one ..
m
l
June 26, 2010 5:49:05 PM

i was currently testing my gpu thru furmark. and for the past 5 mins, my temp shoots up to 75C. is this one still justifiable? or a should slide down the bars in vtune?

my core clock was from 450-529mhz
and my shader was from 1125-1200mhz.
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2010 5:50:23 PM

75c for the 9500GT is good, the card is notorious for running hot at load. usually around 90c

m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 5:52:02 PM

yeah thats really a good result...
still wait for some more time and see if it goes up...
if it stays there then its really good :) 
m
l
June 26, 2010 5:52:41 PM

ok, i can only increase my fan speed up to 30%?
@ct615: is evrything is normal on that? yeah you're right, coz i've heard that the card's fan was really famous for overheating. just like inno3d.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 5:58:44 PM

in vtune fan control section it will be set to dynamic speed option.... change it to fixed speed and move the bar
m
l
June 26, 2010 6:00:05 PM

i moved the bar and the bar of 2d also moved. is that ok?
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2010 6:00:08 PM

you can increase fan speed to as high as you like, as long as you can stand the noise

what CPU do you have and what is running at for speed?
what is your monitors native resolution?
what games are you currently playing?

m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 6:01:02 PM

ejcelis said:
uhm why is it that i cant slide the bars of my fans in vtune? and in rivatuner, once i checked the box for overclocking, itll recommend to reboot my system? after rebooting, the box becomes uncheck again, and there it comes back to rebooting my comp.

Did you actually read the message that rivatuner gives? Rebooting is not necessary and it only says to do so if you aren't sure if the card is already overclocked. The rebooting is just so it can have accurate stock clock measurements. This is all explained in the message.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 6:01:42 PM

yeah.... its ok..
m
l
June 26, 2010 6:02:47 PM

@jyjjy: yeah ive read that and once i cancelled the option, it becomes unchecked again
m
l
June 26, 2010 6:05:35 PM

@ct1615:

my cpu is a intel dual core e6300 @ 2.8ghz
my monitor has a res. of 115x864
now, im currently playing assassins creed 2 and prototype.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 6:05:47 PM

jyjjy said:
Did you actually read the message that rivatuner gives? Rebooting is not necessary and it only says to do so if you aren't sure if the card is already overclocked. The rebooting is just so it can have accurate stock clock measurements. This is all explained in the message.

thats right...
but it shouldn't ask that after reboot...when i used it first time i was confused.. even thot that my card can't be overclocked(that was my first attempt to overclock gpu)
well those who want rivatuner there is msi afterburner...its done by the same guy :) 
looks better and also simpler than rivatuner :) 
m
l
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
June 26, 2010 6:10:33 PM

ejcelis said:
@ct1615:

my cpu is a intel dual core e6300 @ 2.8ghz
my monitor has a res. of 115x864
now, im currently playing assassins creed 2 and prototype.

your monitor is not 1152x768? no matter its a fairly easy monitor to drive

both those games are pretty demanding so don't expect night and day FPS changes. at best you might increase FPS by 10%, more then likely less then that. so going to 44FPS from 40FPS is not going to make a difference in the real world.
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 6:16:32 PM

mjsharma said:
thats right...
but it shouldn't ask that after reboot...when i used it first time i was confused.. even thot that my card can't be overclocked(that was my first attempt to overclock gpu)
well those who want rivatuner there is msi afterburner...its done by the same guy :) 
looks better and also simpler than rivatuner :) 

I don't see what the issue is. You just click detect now and you are done. It states pretty clearly that if you know your card isn't overclocked you can do so. If you aren't sure then you reboot to be certain and click it the next time. It's a very nice program. Overclocking, fan control, profiles for setting both with one click. Extensive system monitoring that can even by displayed onscreen in game including frames per second. Shame to not use it because you expect the stock clock detection to be an automated process and you don't want to press a button.
m
l
June 26, 2010 6:22:54 PM

ct1615 said:
your monitor is not 1152x768? no matter its a fairly easy monitor to drive

both those games are pretty demanding so don't expect night and day FPS changes. at best you might increase FPS by 10%, more then likely less then that. so going to 44FPS from 40FPS is not going to make a difference in the real world.

:)  the res. was 1152x864 sorry for the typo
m
l
June 26, 2010 6:37:57 PM

for the past 13mins, she has been stable @ 76C yay. XD
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2010 6:44:27 PM

thats nice... :)  if you are not satisfied then try higher clocks :p 
and run a test and see how it goes :) 
m
l
June 26, 2010 7:00:46 PM

there, i tried AC2 and the temp was 67C after i closed the game. i think everything was working fine. thanks:) 

ill just try to adjust the settings more once i have a much more reliable cooling system. lol
m
l
June 26, 2010 7:01:44 PM

Best answer selected by ejcelis.
m
l
!