Samsung 830 alternatives?

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hi community,

I really want a Samsung 830 SSD (256 GB version) for myself during black friday or so, but due to the fact that the Samsung 840 SSD's are releasing very soon, and I am seeing some retailers with Samsung 830 SSDs sold out already. Just in case if they did ran out of Samsung 830 SSDs by black friday, is there any good alternatives for about the same price? Thanks.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I know that there are lots of cheap deals out there online, but the problem is that I can't get it online, only like a retail store like Microcenter, Fry's, etc... My parents don't like buying stuff online... :(

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Hmm... Well, that is seriously going to limit your purchasing. Aside from parental education, and assuming you are in a metro area like Silicon Valley, I suppose you could head to Frys with a laptop or a URL and show them the cheap price from Newegg or Buydig as they are now price matching online vendors (at least the one in Campbell, CA near where I live is.)

Call your local Frys and make sure that they do match online prices and you should be set.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I live in LA. Surprisingly, Frys are selling the 256GB version with desktop kit for only $189.99. But for right now, the two closest stores (around 15 miles away from my house), both frys stores already sold out. The closest store for frys that is available is around 25 miles... just in case if all frys stores sold out, do you recommend other SSDs?

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I would honestly try the price matching thing. Look at Anandtech for ratings and if you have a license you won't be tethered by your parents. You can wait until a drive that is acceptable to you is NOT on sale (so they'll have stock) and then price match the *** out of them.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I heard about the frys price matching policy. Some users said it works, some said not. But by the time when black friday comes, the Samsung 830s should ran out by now at frys. Guess I have to persuade my parents about it. Anyways, can you give me some links that the Samsung 830 SSD (256 gb version with desktop kit) for cheaper then frys price of $189.99? Thanks.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I personally prioritize reliability over speed, because IMHO the speed difference between SATA3 SSDs are so small that that in normal every day desktop usage you will not see any tangible benefits.

Having said that, Samsung 830 are famous for both speed and reliability, if you can ask when it would be restocked, that might be your best option.

If you must get it asap, I personally recommend Crucial's M4. Yes they are rated slower, but as I said you won't notice a difference. They are known to be rock solid too. I would stay away from OCZ because I had a lot of RMAs (2 out of 3) for the Vertex 3 and on top of that the Sandforce problems annoyed me a lot..

I would just keep tabs on things newegg is a pretty awesome retailer haven't had many issues with them. I think you will be fine getting a samsung 830 it will just take some patience it sounds like they have been really good sales with them of late because of the 840

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
Agreed. Reliability is key and in my experience with every major controller and drives from most SSD manufacturers, the Samsung 830s take the crown. I've never had one fail on me and they are wonderfully fast.

You still could try to convince your parents to buy it online. Show them resellerratings.com and explain how CC processing is at least as secure as purchasing in stores, if you take the proper precautions.

As for the $190 Samsung 830 256GB, they are regularly on sale here for $150-160:

http://www.techbargains.com/product/samsung_830

Maybe not with a 2.5" to 3.5" bracket, but those are just a few bucks to add on separately.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I appreciate all the answers that you guys give. I will try to convince my parents to buy it online, or get it on the store before they ran out. However, you guys are not really answering my topic. I am asking for alternatives of Samsung 830.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
There were two alternatives i saw listed, crucial m4, samsung 840.

We actually did answer a question: NO, there is no SSD as or more reliable/fast as a samsung 830/840, so its pointless to sit around a discuss alternatives, if you want the best, samsung 830 PERIOD. (840 is unproven as of yet but most likely will steal the crown)

EDIT: i would also say that Kingston Hyper X would most likely do you proud.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Intel's are good too but hes asking for an alternative to the BEST SSD out there right now, but in reality pwner you would probably be happy with just about any major brand name SSD if you've never had/experienced one before.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I personally have never used a SSD before, so I am very interested to get a SSD, as prices are pretty cheap right now. But like, good brands SSDs would be like Intel, Samsung, Corsair, Kingston, and Crucial, right? Or I am missing some?

My recomandations are Curcial M4, Samsung 830/840, or plextor M3/M4.
Of the Three, The one that is Cheapest at time of purchase.

They are close enough in REAL LIVE day-to-day usage that most people would not be able to tell which was in which system. As to reliability also Very close. Really least user problems as NONE have been around for 3+ years, - M4 has been around the longest.

I have 3 Curcial M4s, 3 Samsung 830s , 2 Agility IIIs (ugh) Plus 5 older generation SSDs - NOT one Has failed.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
The newest Intel use Sandforce controllers. It's more about the controller and the NAND than the brand. I use an Intel 330 240GB in one of my laptops and it's OK but if you want the best of the best, use the Samsung 830. If pressed, I would get an Intel 330 but they aren't invincible. I would shy away from other brands, except the Crucial M4 which is solid.

I don't think immediately no. They are a very popular series right now and you see companies like ocz where you can find a lot of there prior series on the market vertex 2 3 and 4 I'd say it will get harder within a year or so of the release of the 840 but still you should be fine within the next few months to get exactly what you want if the samsung 830 is it. And I love my 830 and hopefully when you get yours you will to.