Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I recently upgraded an Intel e2220 2.4G dual core with a Q6600 quad core in a HP a6807c tower for my father. I have already added a PC Power & Cooling 500Watt PSU and a Radeon 4770.It has 5gigs ddr2 PC2 6400. All was fine until I installed theQ6600 as the other 2 new components were running for months with no problem. The mobo is a IPIBL-LB which list this CPU as compatible. It started up and CPUID and the bios read everything correctly but then random BSOD started. I rechecked all wiring and stress tested memory and CPU, all good. I cleared temp files and disabled unecessary start up programs but problem still persists. Tomorrow Iplan to switch out PSU with a 700 watt unit. I don't know if 500 watts is underpowered or it is just bad. I guess either way if it works with the OCZ 700 watt I'll just leave it in. Any other ideas out there that may help me out. Id hate to put the E2220 back but if nothing works I'll have to

Solution
500 watts should be plenty but there is always a change that the PSU is bad. Often BSOD's are system driver issues and can be resolved with repair install of windows.

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Will a repair install keep all my fathers files or is it like a clean install. Also the windows 7 64 on it was from a windows 7 upgrade CD. Previously PC had Vista 64. Any advice of how I can do repair install with the upgrade CD or do I need to contact microsoft

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009

Im back Same result. I swapped PSU so that is not problem. When I tried install repair it kept bsod about 5 minutes into install so I could not complete that. I returned old E2220 back and PC is fine all day so far. Could the CPU be bad since it was purchesd used.