changing the dual boot names

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

I have Windows XP Pro loaded on 3 different partitions. The reason being is
I have 3 kids and I want them to each have their own partition. Each
partition has a drive letter and a name.

However on boot up, Windows only lists 3 choice all named Windows XP Pro.
How can I change this to reflect the correct name of the drive its loading?

TIA
Rick
3 answers Last reply
More about changing dual boot names
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have Windows XP Pro loaded on 3 different partitions. The reason being
    is
    > I have 3 kids and I want them to each have their own partition. Each
    > partition has a drive letter and a name.
    >
    > However on boot up, Windows only lists 3 choice all named Windows XP Pro.
    > How can I change this to reflect the correct name of the drive its
    >
    > TIA
    > Rick

    Type this command into the Run box: notepad c:\boot.ini.
    Now change the description of each OS. It's the free text
    after the = sign, surrounded by double quotes.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    To be sure I believe you mean change what's after the windows =

    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

    Thanks in advance
    Rick
    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have Windows XP Pro loaded on 3 different partitions. The reason being
    > is
    >> I have 3 kids and I want them to each have their own partition. Each
    >> partition has a drive letter and a name.
    >>
    >> However on boot up, Windows only lists 3 choice all named Windows XP Pro.
    >> How can I change this to reflect the correct name of the drive its
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Rick
    >>

    > Type this command into the Run box: notepad c:\boot.ini.
    > Now change the description of each OS. It's the free text
    > after the = sign, surrounded by double quotes.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    As Pegasus said everthing within the quotes is fair game.

    "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Rick" wrote:
    | To be sure I believe you mean change what's after the windows =
    |
    | multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    | Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    |

    | Thanks in advance
    | Rick

Configuration Dual Boot Microsoft Partition Windows XP