  • Partition
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
May 4, 2005 1:28:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

I have Windows XP Pro loaded on 3 different partitions. The reason being is
I have 3 kids and I want them to each have their own partition. Each
partition has a drive letter and a name.

However on boot up, Windows only lists 3 choice all named Windows XP Pro.
How can I change this to reflect the correct name of the drive its loading?

TIA
Rick

More about : changing dual boot names

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:32:54 PM

"Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have Windows XP Pro loaded on 3 different partitions. The reason being
is
> I have 3 kids and I want them to each have their own partition. Each
> partition has a drive letter and a name.
>
> However on boot up, Windows only lists 3 choice all named Windows XP Pro.
> How can I change this to reflect the correct name of the drive its
>
> TIA
> Rick

Type this command into the Run box: notepad c:\boot.ini.
Now change the description of each OS. It's the free text
after the = sign, surrounded by double quotes.
May 4, 2005 4:32:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

To be sure I believe you mean change what's after the windows =

Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Thanks in advance
Rick
"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:o HzLZGFUFHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Windows XP Pro loaded on 3 different partitions. The reason being
> is
>> I have 3 kids and I want them to each have their own partition. Each
>> partition has a drive letter and a name.
>>
>> However on boot up, Windows only lists 3 choice all named Windows XP Pro.
>> How can I change this to reflect the correct name of the drive its
>>
>> TIA
>> Rick
>>

> Type this command into the Run box: notepad c:\boot.ini.
> Now change the description of each OS. It's the free text
> after the = sign, surrounded by double quotes.

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 4:32:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

As Pegasus said everthing within the quotes is fair game.

"Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional