Closed Solved

What is a 6pin pci express power?

I know this a noobish question, but what is it? I hoping to upgrade my 4670 to either a 5750 or 5770. I look at the requirements and it says "450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended"

I'm not familiar or even know what the 6pin is since the 4670 didn't need it.

Is this what I need? I don't mind spending an extra 10 bucks for it. Currently I have this 700w with no 6pin thing. Just extra things that the product I'm looking at is perfect for.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what 6pin express power
  1. You have a 700W power supply with no 6 pin connectors? Thats a bit sketchy, what make and model is it?

It should be enough for a 5770 even if it is super crappy so that adapter should work fine.
  2. I'm guessing I should get a new power supply. The 700w I have currently... well lets just say its crappy but well good enough for the 4670 with nada problemos. Should I be getting a new power supply? maybe at 600w :o or just stick with buying the 10 dollar one to save tons of money
  3. Well first post what power supply you have, if you cant find a make and model there is a sticker with the power distribution and post the numbers from that. It might not be super crappy it might just be an old one.
  4. Well from what I saw on the sticker, it says "kentech sata dual fan 600w". I google this up and it seems it doesn't exist. I got this actually new from my aunt's bf like a year ago. He probably bought it off ebay or something
  5. Best answer
    Most cards come with an adaptor or adaptors in the box, there is no need to buy one seperately-but check before making the purchase ;)
    Only the more expensive PSUs' split their output, in most cases you'll see the wires are all soldered to a single output for each voltage.
    Even a very poor 700W unit should handle the 5770 with no problems, even if you are using a molex/PCI-E converter.

This is a handy tool to calculate system power needs:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

If you are considering a new PSU: Corsair, OCZ, Antec, Seasonic and FSP are the cream of the bunch.

Every e-tailer has their own 'specials'- so shop around but this looks good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Modular and with plenty of power, it's quite cheap too :) Unless, like me you do not live in the USA.
  6. OH really? I'll be making sure the card I buy has the adapter then. I just gotta say the Corsair psu's are expensive :??:

I'll just be planning to buy a better quality psu first then my card. I think that will be safe since I don't want my old psu ruining my computer some how.
  7. Best answer selected by sh3bang.
  8. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power PCI Express Graphics Product