Looking for USB powered fan/ way to mount it

So my computer is in a cabinet of sorts... has a hole at the back. but I was looking for a bit more airflow. I was thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106140 would work.. but I need a way to mount it. I also need a way for it to turn off when the computer goes into sleep mode OR a different one that has a off button.
17 answers Last reply
More about looking powered mount
  1. No one is up to the job?

Come on toms.. I know I can't be the first person to think of useing them like this but needing to mount them.
  2. There exist pci brackets with molex connectors on them:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34_169

So, you could use a standard chasis fan with a molex connecter; mod your case (or a faceplate) to have a switch that controls the power to the pci bracket.
  3. kaosnkorruption said:
    There exist pci brackets with molex connectors on them:
    http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=34_169

So, you could use a standard chasis fan with a molex connecter; mod your case (or a faceplate) to have a switch that controls the power to the pci bracket.

No no...

Not that kind of mount =p

I want to put the fan ABOVE the case.. I might be able to drill something above it to mount it.. its a wooden desk.
  4. I'd say just a right angled piece of metal, (something like plasterers use for keeping corners square) should hold it fine under the desktop dude, sorry for slow answer, been at work all night :P **Edit, if its usb powered, it will go off when pc does anyway
    Moto
  5. Motopsychojdn said:
    I'd say just a right angled piece of metal, (something like plasterers use for keeping corners square) should hold it fine under the desktop dude, sorry for slow answer, been at work all night :P **Edit, if its usb powered, it will go off when pc does anyway
    Moto

Its ok I'm in no rush.. haha I know the computer can "run" it did last time I had the graphics hard and PSU in there.. before it got RMAed due to the PSU failing :lol:
    And it was a cosair too haha..

To long of a story to tell here.. but anyways...

I'm going to take a picture but I want it above the computer not below.

Also I meant I want it to turn off when the computer goes into sleepmode... *A 30 min delay would be even better but if it can't happen w/e*

I don't turn the computer off that often..

I was also looking for suggestions if there is other USB powered fans that would work better....

Well be right back with pictures =p
  6. Ok I got the pictures.. :hello:

This is where the pc is.. yes I the door mostly stays open. If not just for the fact that I can't close it with the headphones plugged it =p.

I want to mount the fan on the roof the the cubby and exaust to the hole in the back.

What is the best way to mount it?

And where would the most cooling come from with placing it.. should I place it in the middle, should I place it in the back... Should I place it in the front.. ect.

Also once that is done I will want a way for the USB fan to turn off when the computer goes into sleepmode.. *To get rid of all noise* A 30 min delay would be best but I will live without if I can get it to turn off when computer goes into sleep mode.
  7. Well in sleep mode the only voltage that is active is the 5 volt so as long as you are not tapped into that you will be fine. I would still go the Molex route and just route the wires out the back somewhere.
  8. saaiello said:
    Well in sleep mode the only voltage that is active is the 5 volt so as long as you are not tapped into that you will be fine. I would still go the Molex route and just route the wires out the back somewhere.

I don't feel like cutting the case.. I'll stick with the usb... but I need a way to mount it to the top.

Also it is good to know the usbs are turned off in sleep mode. ;)
  9. I feel so special... I got a spam message to bump my post.. :)

*Goes to report the post now*
  10. What about this fan. It has a stand and speed control.
    http://www.frys.com/product/5442979
  11. dallasjoh said:
    What about this fan. It has a stand and speed control.
    http://www.frys.com/product/5442979

Na I like the bigger one from the same company better =p...

Anyways thats less of a issue atm..

I'm more worried about mounting it...

Oh and I just got my replacement psu/graphics card installed...

It only took 2 hours...

*1 hour and 45min of that was trying to get the washer out of the PSU... *sigh* *
  12. Oh silly me.. there is a wire frame...

I'lll just duct tape that down... :)
  13. ok. well why dont you just lie duct tAPe it?

edit:whoops yOu had that Idea too!
  14. shovenose said:
    ok. well why dont you just lie duct tAPe it?

edit:whoops yOu had that Idea too!

Well I'm going to use electric tape because its the same color as the case *Black*.

And ya I have had the idea of taping it for awhile
  15. Use black duct tape, electricians tape will give over time and drop it onto your case :) its too stretchy and tries to shrink :(
    Moto
  16. Motopsychojdn said:
    Use black duct tape, electricians tape will give over time and drop it onto your case :) its too stretchy and tries to shrink :(
    Moto

Na I'm no longer taping it to the roof.. I'm just gona tape it on the unit itself.. The tape keeps it from falling over =)

Heck if its stable enough I won't even put tape on.
  17. I'd be more inclined to make a decent size cutout in the side of the enclosure and mount fans with a grill cover there to pull the hot air out of the enclosure from the side.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computer Fan USB Components Product