Eyefinity, Active DP-DVI Adapters, Catylist Drivers and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteWelcomer

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
I have recently built a new computer, which I intend(ed) to use with Eyefinity; as always seems to be the case, I have recently come upon the knowledge that you CANNOT utilize Eyefinity without either a monitor with a display port, or an active DP-DVI adapter.
I am at a loss as to why I would be unable to simply utilize one of the OTHER two DVI ports on my seconds card (as I will be running CF). I KNOW this would be possible were they (ATI) to enable it in Catylist.
I'm also wondering why a program couldn't be utilized to do the same thing as the chip in an Active DP-DVI Adapter?
Either of these options would be comparably much more simple than paying $100+ for the adapter.

If there is a way do make my triple monitor setup work in Eyefinity without paying ANOTHER $100+, please tell me.
Of this I am doubtful however, as I have spent many hours searching for a possible alternative solution (which ATI should have already provided by now...).

Thanks for the help =)

WhiteWelcomer

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Would this adapter be defined as active?

Model Number:BF-3381 , Display Port to DVI Cable Adapter - Length 6 inches Simply connect the DisplayPort end of the connector to your computer and plug your existing DVI cable to the DVI adapter. The built-in circuitry in the adapter cable converts the Dual Mode DisplayPort’s video signal into a DVI digital video source. BAFO announced the development of the next generation digital interface for the PC and CE market, the external DisplayPort™ Cable. DisplayPort is a new digital display interface standard put forth by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). It will be the next generation digital interface designed to replace VGA, LVDS and DVI. There will be a latched cable version as well as a non-latching version DP cable with lengths of 3m and 15m. This cable has the ability to deliver high-definition digital audio and video to the display in packet data format – allowing selective screen area updates and provides power saving features required for notebook applications. One single cable for AV applications thus reduces cost on both the PC side as wel as the display side. With the ease of the plug-and-play feature, it is user- friendly for the consumer• DisplayPort v1.1a Compliant• Enable high quality optional digital audio transmissions• Embedded clock architecture to reduce EMI susceptibility• Support WQXGA (2560 x 1600) resolution at 24-bit color depths• Support existing VESA and Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) standards• Support hot plug and un-plug detection as well as link status-failure detection• Support reduced bandwidth transmission via direct drive over a 15 meter cable• Supports a minimum of 1080P resolution at 24bpp,50/60 Hz at 15 meters

Connector Input:    DisplayPort Male with Latch Output: DVI-D Female Product features:• Easily Connects a Dual Mode DisplayPort Supported PC to a single link DVI-D Enabled HDTV, Monitor or Projector• DisplayPort and DVI Compatible for Superior Picture Quality• Latching connector prevents cable from falling off• Cable Adapter Transfers Uncompressed High-Definition Digital Video Signals• Supports HDTV Resolutions up to 12 bit color depth at 1080p and 1920x1200 Computers Resolution• Support Dual Mode DP Source with active DDC buffering• Compatible with Digital Video Interface (DVI) 1.0• Pass through HDCP from ++DP- to- DVI Package Content : Package Type:Blister DisplayPort- to- DVI Cable Adapter - Length 6 inches Quick guide Brand Name:  Bafo Technologies.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
I believe Sapphire makes a DP tp DVI adapter which is known to work but I couldn't find it anywhere, neither @ newegg nor their site, so it's wierd! It's available locally for ~ 55 bucks here, so I guess it's cheaper in the US ! Go for it if you find it, and don't put too much hope on ATI's driver team, It's more than 9 months since they released the 5xxx cards and till now eyefinity doesn't work properly if more than 2 GPUs are installed ! So when this is fixed, then I may get some hope they'll enable eyefinity across monitors connected to multiplr GFX cards.

Confused Stu

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Only place I know of that sells the adapter - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-223-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1502 but don't know if they're viable if you're outside the UK.

To answer the question earlier about WHY one of the monitors needs to be using the DisplayPort if you're using Eyefinity, there's a good explanation in this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5870,2422-8.html
In essence though, it's because VGA, DVI and HDMI require a separate clocking signal to be sent with the output to work. You cannot use one clocking signal for more than one output. As structure of any graphics card from either side produced in the last few years (including the 5xxx series graphics cards) has 2 clocking signal producers, this means you can only use 2 of the VGA/HDMI/DVI ports. In most cases, the card is only fitted with 2 outputs, like my 4870, so it's never mattered before. Displayport does not require this clocking signal so you can run as many Displayport outputs from the card as you want (within reason!). Hence you can run 6 Displayport monitors from one 5870 without needing more clocking signals.

The difference between an Active and Passive adapter is down to this as well. A passive adapter just rechannels the signal, so it starts in one connector and ends in another. The active adapters take in the incoming signal, process it, and send it out as a fully fledged signal of a different kind - in the case of Displayport to DVI/HDMI, they take in a Displayport signal (no clocking signal) and send it out as proper DVI/HDMI (complete with a clocking signal the adapter produces). This also means the adapters need to be powered for signal processors to work, so you can generall tell an active adapter from a passive one by seeing if it requires power from a USB port.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
You don't need active display port adapter. I'm running 3x 1280x1024 at home with dp->vga adapter ($25 at newegg) and older dell monitors. Personally, I think the 3x1280 gives a better width/height ratio than 3 widescreen monitors, but that's just me, I suppose.

I got my entire eyefinity setup for $195 (2 $85 refirbed dells + 25 DP adapter).

At resolutions at 1920x1080 the vga is sufficient to connect the monitors.

I would also like to add that the above explanation about requiring the active DP for the clock signal is mostly correct, except VGA should be excluded from the interfaces that is required. VGA doesn't require this which is why you can get by without an active DP adapter (DP->VGA).

gumby12

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I actually found and purchase an Active Display port @ Fry's ..yes Fry's Accell UltraAV B087B-002B DisplayPort/DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter ( Dispaly Port )for little more than $100; Keep in mind there are two versions of this adpater
1. Accell UltraAV B087B-002B DisplayPort/DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter.
2. Accell B087B-003J UltraAV MiniDisplayPort DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter.

Please take note which Graphic card and monitor uses for its input/output display port ( HDMI, Mini-Displayport, Displayport, DVI and VGA ).
Fry's at the time of puchase only carried the Displayport Adapter (1)..not the mini-adapter version also I'm sure their sale guy wouldn't have a clue what you are looking for.( check the near home theater cable section thats where I found them not in the graphic card deptment).

Listen to Confused Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.