Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will PCI-E x1 card fit in a PCI-e x16 slot?

Last response: in Motherboards
May 31, 2011 5:48:37 PM

Hey Guys and Gals, I think i already know the answer to my question, but i just wanna double check with you guys before i go and swap stuff around and blow something up =P..

Heres the story, I have recently just brought a new Auzentech X-Fi Forte sound card for my system (Worst Mistake EVER).. And i am getting this terrible crackling/buzzing interference noise that i cannot get rid of.. After many days of trying to find a fix for this stupid thing by using sticky-tape to rid it of EMF fields that it apparently makes and numerous driver re-installs.. I have now finally found the reason of it causing problems .. Ive found it is becoming too hot from my HD6990 Graphics card, which is mounted in the PCI-e Slot below..

Long story short, the way i am going to get around this issue is to move my sound card to another slot (Away from the graphics card).. and my motherboard only has one accessible PCI-E x1 slot as the others are covered by the graphics card..

My question is can i plug my crappy sound card into the other PCI-E x16 slot i have on my motherboard as i don't run crossfire and the card seams to fit into it.. If i plug it into the x16 slot will i firstly blow it up?? .. I've heard its okay but i wanna make sure first haha... and secondly if it does work, Will doing this slow down my graphics card in anyway? ..

If this doesnt work i guess im just going to have to mount some fans in weird sports to keep it cool...

But yeah bottom line: Would a PCI-E x1 Sound Card fit and work without slowing anything down in a PCI-E x16 Graphics Slot...

Thanks guys!!!
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 6:09:46 PM

Yes, but it's a waste of the PCI-e x16 slot...
Score
June 1, 2011 9:05:36 AM

yeah i know, but im not going to use crossfire or anything, so really its not doing anything
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 10:35:54 AM

If the sound card is crappy then why not use on board sound. I'm not sure which motherboard you are using but if it has 2 PCI-e x16 slots it probably has Realtek 8 channel high definition audio codec too.
Score

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 1:06:46 PM

Yes, any PCIe 1x, 4x or 8x card will work just fine in a 16x slot.
a c 92 V Motherboard
a c 171 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 1:18:07 PM

Yes it will work, no it won't blow up under normal circumstances.

By using the second PCIe slot, you might halve the bandwidth going to your GPU. This shouldn't have a huge effect on your games, but as mentioned above its not needed.
Score
June 1, 2011 3:46:25 PM

sweet as, thanks for the help guys!!! :bounce: 
Score
June 8, 2011 2:36:41 AM

Best answer selected by thefear.
Score
a c 135 V Motherboard
a c 169 U Graphics card
June 8, 2011 6:32:57 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score