Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD boot drive sometimes shuts off (BIOS doesnt detect it)

Last response: in Storage
October 23, 2012 2:16:20 PM

Hi guys, hope you can help out with an issue.

On my parents' computer, sometimes the SSD boot drive will seem to shut off in the middle of normal activity (or, even if the PC is just powered on and sitting there idle). Atleast, I think that's what's happening. Apparently, the PC becomes unresponsive, and just completely stalls. (I haven't seen this happen, I'm going by my parents' word).

So then I hit the reset button, and the AHCI BIOS will show up. It'll tell me that it's not detecting my SSD boot drive in the appropriate port, and then will inevitably give me a "System Boot Disk Failure- Insert Boot Drive" (or a something similar).
However, what's interesting is that if I found that if I hit the power switch off and then hit it on again (the switch on the back for the power for the PC), it'll detect the SSD boot drive again, and restart like normal.... until it becomes unresponsive during regular use, again.

Steps I've taken:
1) I reconnected the cable AND switched it to another SATA data port. This didn't help, so I don't think the cable/port is at fault here (it's not coming loose or anything)

2) reset the BIOS to default values + AHCI mode (for the SSD... default value was IHE, but I was getting a bluescreen unless I set it to AHCI)

If not, what other steps could I take?
Reset CMOS values? (I'm not sure how to do this yet, but im sure i could look it up)

Any ideas, guys? Any help is very much appreciated, thanks!
Details: Windows 7 Premium, Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 mobo

Best solution

a c 124 G Storage
October 23, 2012 2:34:40 PM

When do you get your M4? Because after 5184 hours (yes, that's the specific number) of active use, the SSD started to cause blue screens of death (i.e. BSODs) every hour or so. And you need to update the firmware 010G
http://www.crucial.com/help/ssd/index.aspx?source=web

If you need to reset the CMOS, you need to remove the battery in the MB and wait for 5-10min, then put it back.
a b G Storage
October 23, 2012 2:47:55 PM

+1 to updating the firmware. That hopefully fixes it.

If that doesn't work, then RMA the SSD, try to request an advanced RMA if you can (where they send you the replacement and charge you for it, and refund you when the defective SSD is received).
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 3:59:35 PM

cin19 said:
When do you get your M4? Because after 5184 hours (yes, that's the specific number) of active use, the SSD started to cause blue screens of death (i.e. BSODs) every hour or so. And you need to update the firmware 010G
http://www.crucial.com/help/ssd/index.aspx?source=web

If you need to reset the CMOS, you need to remove the battery in the MB and wait for 5-10min, then put it back.

i've read about the 5184 hour issue, and it is plausible. That's 7 months continuous use. I've had the SSD for almost exactly a year now, but it got shut off just about every night for bed and sometimes when me/my parents werent using it.

i'll try the firmware upgrade when i get the chance. However, what's worrying is that I'm also reading about a couple of users on the Crucial forum saying that the 010G upgrade is giving them similar issues (SSD not being detected).

But however, I don't have much to lose at the moment anyway. It's basically unusable in its current state, so i'll try it out.
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:17:44 PM

Because I have been having the same issue, I have a few questions: Did this start within the last couple of days? When you get to windows, how long before it crashes, or have the crashes been occuring at shorter and shorter intervals of windows functioning? When at idle, are the processors/ RAM still functioning at a normal rate for the period of time it is running?
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:35:05 AM

Best answer selected by joakcbasse.
m
l
October 30, 2012 12:35:53 AM

The problem was indeed the 5184 hour bug on the Crucial M4 (affects any firmware that came before 0309). I fixed it by upgrading my firmware, and it's been running fine for almost a week now.

Thanks guys!
m
l
September 21, 2013 5:20:10 AM

Hi guys. First of all, I really like to thank all of you.
I just had a problem like this. My PC started to freeze every 30 min, blue screen of death, and BIOS didn't detect my SSD, but then if i restart, it recognizes it. After reading this thread, I updated my Crucial M4 firmware (my previous one was 0090 version or 0009 or whatever) and now I have no problem for last 5 hrs so far. Thank you all!!!

And someone said This 5000 hr problem is only for M4 64gb but that's not true. I have M4 265 GB version and had this problem.
m
l
September 21, 2013 5:20:11 AM

Hi guys. First of all, I really like to thank all of you.
I just had a problem like this. My PC started to freeze every 30 min, blue screen of death, and BIOS didn't detect my SSD, but then if i restart, it recognizes it. After reading this thread, I updated my Crucial M4 firmware (my previous one was 0090 version or 0009 or whatever) and now I have no problem for last 5 hrs so far. Thank you all!!!

And someone said This 5000 hr problem is only for M4 64gb but that's not true. I have M4 265 GB version and had this problem.
m
l
!