Sign in with
Your question

Any Mini Towers have Sata 3 & USB3 That will take my i7-920 and Ram

Last response: in Storage
October 23, 2012 3:08:35 PM

I just got a great deal on a 512gb SSD and am trying to figure out what to do with it. - Also it is time for a reload of Win7 to my current system. So I am thinking of just throwing it in the existing system but at the same time wondering is it is the right move.

I might want to upgrade to a SSD and get a little more modern case with Sata 3 and USB 3 and room for a better Graphics card and was wondering if I could use my 24gb (6 x 4gb dimms of Non-ECC Unbuffered 1600MHz CL9 240-pin) of of ram and i7-920 chip in any newer boxes.

Thanks in Advance!
a c 124 G Storage
October 23, 2012 3:46:42 PM

Yes, you can.

But keep in mine your i7-920 (LGA1366) use the MB that is X58. The SATA3 is from Marvell ( check your MB manual ).

So in the benchmark you can't get the full speed from your SSD because the marvell is real SATA2 instead of SATA3. But you cannot feel the difference between them in real world usage.
m
l
October 23, 2012 3:51:12 PM

cin19 said:
Yes, you can.

But keep in mine your i7-920 (LGA1366) use the MB that is X58. The SATA3 is from Marvell ( check your MB manual ).

So in the benchmark you can't get the full speed from your SSD because the marvell is real SATA2 instead of SATA3. But you cannot feel the difference between them in real world usage.

Thanks cin19

But what do you mean "Yes, you can."?

What is your advice -- will just swapping out the old hd with the ssd make a huge difference? if so I have no desire to buy new hardware.
m
l
a c 124 G Storage
October 23, 2012 6:52:56 PM

If you have one like this Micro ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , but if you have the regular ATX MB you can't.

Also most games Graphics card is big so check the card size first before you buy the new case.

Yes, if you use the SSD and fresh install the OS like Win7, it will make a big difference in like faster turn on and off PC, open the Photoshop program, copy and paste file, etc. but not for the games (expect load the games).
m
l
October 23, 2012 6:55:51 PM

cin19 said:
If you have one like this Micro ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... , but if you have the regular ATX MB you can't.

Also most games Graphics card is big so check the card size first before you buy the new case.

Yes, if you use the SSD and fresh install the OS like Win7, it will make a big difference in like faster turn on and off PC, open the Photoshop program, copy and paste file, etc. but not for the games (expect load the games).

what about speed for video ripping, converting, copying?

m
l
a c 124 G Storage
October 23, 2012 7:26:02 PM

Not for the video editing, by the way you already have the good CPU and 24GB RAM, so if you have big HDD and you can load the win7 and video editing into the SSD then you have very good PC for the video editing
m
l
!