What to do with a stack of old, small, hard drives.

comodidit

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hi everyone.

I've got a stack of 50 or so 3.5" SATA HDDs and 20 or so 2.5" SATA HDDs. Most are in the 80-160gb range.

These are left over from old systems at the office being replaced.

We can't donate them, and we can't sell them.

I can either find a project to use them for, or I can smash them to pieces with a sledgehammer.

Anyone have suggestions for a useful project that could be completed with a limited(read: near zero) budget?

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Are they dead? If not they can still be used. People are looking for cheap replacements all the time when their hard drive dies and they don't have enough money for a brand new drive. They won't be much useful in a new system depending on the performance of the drive & the possibility they might die but i too have a few hard drives that i have been using as a temporary storage device. Just sell them at a fairly low price if anyone requires a temporary hard drive to transfer data or whatever. Ebay is a good place, i see drives as low as 20GB on there.

And if you want let people know the SMART data on it so they can decide whether it's worth it.

Edit: Also if your worried about important data left this: http://www.dban.org/ will take care of the problem.

If you decide to dump them, please at least salvage the PCBs. I would gratefully take them off your hands, even at a price, and I would never sell them. Instead I would use them for reverse engineering purposes, eg ...

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Tutorial_SP0411N.html

All my work would be published on my web space for free download.

If you are located in Australia, then I would like very much to have the complete drives, again for reverse engineering purposes.

He clearly states that he can't sell them, and 3 of the last 6 comments suggest he sell them on Ebay.

What charities does the office support? I would get a sledgehammer for the next fundraiser, and let your coworkers pay(donate) for the privilege of smashing their old hard drive.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
If you do throw them away make sure they are unusable. Unusable as in no business data is retrievable.There are some people who would search them for personal info. A drill is nice because they stay in one piece making them easier to recycle at a depot, if you have one in your area.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

Well he didn't really say why he couldn't sell them. It might just be that he wants to make sure sensitive data isn't on there or thinks that the drives are too old to reuse.