My Computer Just Stops Working

wompai

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I recently build a computer of my own. I had windows installed on one of the harddrives, that didn't work so I reinstalled windows with an old copy of Windows XP Home Edition SP1a. So I started the PC, finished Windows Setup, and validated my copy of windows... But 10-20 minutes after logon the pc shows a blue screen that says: "If this is the first time you're seeing this screen you should restart the computer etc...''* The harddrives just shut down... whatever I'm doing, my system just stops working! So I turn off the computer and restart it, after 10-20 minutes it happens again... Does anyone have a solutions for this???

Here are my systems specs if you need it:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 ~2.4 GHZ 533 FSB**
Motherboard: MS-6541 ver 2.1**
Memory: 1024 MB DDR RAM @ 233 MHZ
Videocard: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200**
Soundcard: Intel Integrated Audio**
Primairy IDE drives: Western Digital 80GB Master And Western Digital 40GB Slave
Secundary IDE drives: A CD-drive and DVD-RW/CD-RW drive
BIOS: compaq bios**

*My version of windows is a dutch version, so I had to translate the message windows gave me. It might be a little different than the actual message.
**These system specs are from a Compaq Evo D31D

Demonic

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010

Hi there

When you get the blue screen again check for a error code type that code into google and it should tell you exactly what the problem is, it sounds like a windows installation problem to me

deweycd

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
Based on the info you provided I would say that you probably have a bad harddrive. Your system is getting older and 80Gb and 40GB drives have passed their life cycle. It is recommended that you replace your Harddrives every three years for reliability.

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
All of this stuff is old, so it's hard to understand what you mean by 'recently build' (sic).

Did you just try to upgrade to a newer version of Windows? Did you swap these parts out of some other machine?

You don't mention what power supply you're using - perhaps the system is underpowered and fails on boot.

wompai

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi

Thnx, for all the quick replies.

I recently build this computer with used parts. I spend no money on this computer...

About the installation problem: My computer also got stuck a few times during the installation... I needed to restart it, wich would also restart the setup...
I also noticed that when I remove a Harddrive (wether it's the master or the slave) it has a hard time booting.... In fact it doesn't boot at all... Maybe it is a problem with the harddrive, but I'm trying to spend as less money as possible on this computer, so I want to fix the problem without buying a new harddrive.

About upgrading to a newer version: I tried updating to Service Pack 2, but my computer got stuck during the installation, then the data on my harddrive was corrupted, so I had to reinstall windows...

Does anybody have other ideas?

jeroly

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
(a) Try running a boot-from-CD OS like knoppix and see if you have system stability for long periods. If you do then it's the hard drive or the OS that's at fault. If there's a failure with this then it's either the PSU or the motherboard or some other component (e.g. GPU) that's acting up.

(b) What PSU are you using? An underpowered system is still a good candidate for the underlying problem.

(c) If the PSU is good then try reinstalling windows with a re-formatted hard drive, or flip master/slave and install the OS on the other drive. Check for bad sectors too. A corrupted system disk is a good candidate for the source of the problem.

(d) It's "newly built" not "newly build." Also, "I spent no money" or "I will spend no money," not "I spend no money."

(e) Your time is worth money too. A new hard drive is pretty cheap these days... don't sell yourself short.

wompai

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi

My PC gives the following error code: "***STOP:0x0000000A (0x000015E0, 0x000000FF, 0x00000001, 0x80410A8108)"
and it says: "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
Does anybody know what this means?

Thnx again

PS: I'm from Europe, I can't speak English very well, so don't blame me for making these mistakes, instead blame my english-teacher...

wompai

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi

My computer's fixed! The problem was the memory... I had 2 almost identical
DDR memory chips (both 266MHZ and 512MB), but one was a Samsung not a Compaq (The manufacturer of my computer). I removed the Samsung chip and everything worked perfectly.

I want to thank anyone who worked on this topic.