Has a solution been found for

The 436 unable to connect to 451?

It has been awhile since I cared. Any free moment to play has been on my
own servers on my LAN. - However, I'd still like to be able to play some
pubs now and again. My old install would run out of virtual memory
eventually when trying to connect to 451 (three or four minutes). So, I did
a fresh install on a new machine. Same deal. Can't connect to 451's and I
don't really want to run 451 as a client. Is there a work around?
20 answers Last reply
More about solution found

    "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The 436 unable to connect to 451?
    >
    > It has been awhile since I cared. Any free moment to play has been on my
    > own servers on my LAN. - However, I'd still like to be able to play some
    > pubs now and again. My old install would run out of virtual memory
    > eventually when trying to connect to 451 (three or four minutes). So, I
    did
    > a fresh install on a new machine. Same deal. Can't connect to 451's and
    > don't really want to run 451 as a client. Is there a work around?

    451 is for servers only, so no, you do not want to install it on your
    client. You shouldn't have any problems connecting to them with 436. As
    meltdown suggested, more details about your system and the exact error
    reported and a description of what happens. Do you have your page file
    locked to a specific size instead of letting windows manage it?

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    Margolis wrote:
    > "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > 451 is for servers only, so no, you do not want to install it on your
    > client. You shouldn't have any problems connecting to them with 436.
    > As meltdown suggested, more details about your system and the exact
    > error reported and a description of what happens. Do you have your
    > page file locked to a specific size instead of letting windows manage
    > it?

    Nice to see your nym... - And nope. Windows is allowed to manage it on
    both of these boxes.

    §ï×darts enlightened us with:
    > Can't connect to 451's and I don't really want to run 451 as a
    > client. Is there a work around?

    I can connect to a 451 with a 436. You might want to mention more
    details here.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    MeltDown wrote:
    > §ï×darts enlightened us with:
    >> Can't connect to 451's and I don't really want to run 451 as a
    >> client. Is there a work around?
    >
    > I can connect to a 451 with a 436. You might want to mention more
    > details here.

    OK. GOTY - all 4 bonus packs - Patched to 436 - both de files deleted and I
    accepted whatever the first 436 server I connected to fed me for new ones
    (got in that habbit a long time ago) - and, both installs are on fully
    patched W2k boxes. One install is ancient and contains many, many gigabytes
    of downloaded maps and textures. The other install is brand new fresh as of
    yesterday. - Both boxes are relatively high end 32bit AMD systems (a 333
    2800 and a 400 3200) - both have a gig of ddr and both have TI-4600s. One
    is an NForce2 board, and the other is a VIA KT6 (both windoze installs have
    fresh motherboard drivers)

    When 451 first arrived, I participated in a couple of threads where others
    could not connect to 451 from 436 and their OS's ranged from W98 to WXP, but
    *nix users reported no problems. The symptom is that the connection never
    completes. If left alone with the "connecting" screen then eventually UT
    will crash with an out of memory error that says that you need to free up
    diskspace. - Just a by the way: The new install is all alone with windows
    and office only on a 120 Gb drive and there is a gig of PC-3200 behind that
    as well, so out of memory is an odd error... but no real matter. It is the
    same as was reported by many others when 451 hit the pubs.

    Since a connection is never established, there is no log for the event in
    the logs folder. However, the unrealtournament log in the system folder is
    different. It shows about 700 or 750 warnings of receiving an invalid actor
    class. I have tested this, and I get this hang on invalid actor class every
    time I try to connect to any 451. I tried 25 different 451 servers this
    evening and got it on all of them.

    I suppose I could deja-google up a few of the old threads on the topic, but

    I think that you were here and participating in some of the same
    discussions.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    §ï×darts enlightened us with:
    > OK. GOTY - all 4 bonus packs - Patched to 436

    So that would be the US 432 version of GOTY, and not the 436 version
    the rest of the world has?

    > both de files deleted and I accepted whatever the first 436 server I
    > connected to fed me for new ones (got in that habbit a long time
    > ago)

    Good one.

    > and, both installs are on fully patched W2k boxes.

    Ok. Telling us the OS is pretty important, since the game runs on Mac,
    Linux and Windows.

    > One install is ancient and contains many, many gigabytes of
    > downloaded maps and textures. The other install is brand new fresh
    > as of yesterday. - Both boxes are relatively high end 32bit AMD
    > systems (a 333 2800 and a 400 3200) - both have a gig of ddr and
    > both have TI-4600s.

    That should definitely be enough!

    > When 451 first arrived, I participated in a couple of threads where
    > others could not connect to 451 from 436 and their OS's ranged from
    > W98 to WXP, but *nix users reported no problems.

    That's pretty weird, since UT's network code is the same on every OS.
    Perhaps you could free up a few GB and give Linux a try - if it helps
    you play the game, it might be worth the effort.

    [note: I'm not trying to start another OS war here - it's just a
    problem that *can* be fixed by using Linux, that's all]

    > Since a connection is never established, there is no log for the
    > event in the logs folder. However, the unrealtournament log in the
    > system folder is different.

    Then what log were you talking about in the first of those two
    sentences?

    > It shows about 700 or 750 warnings of receiving an invalid actor
    > class. I have tested this, and I get this hang on invalid actor
    > class every time I try to connect to any 451. I tried 25 different
    > 451 servers this evening and got it on all of them.

    Weirdness galore... have you tried talking to the people that created
    451?

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > OK. GOTY - all 4 bonus packs - Patched to 436 - both de files deleted and
    > accepted whatever the first 436 server I connected to fed me for new ones
    > (got in that habbit a long time ago) - and, both installs are on fully
    > patched W2k boxes. One install is ancient and contains many, many
    gigabytes
    > of downloaded maps and textures. The other install is brand new fresh as
    of
    > yesterday. - Both boxes are relatively high end 32bit AMD systems (a 333
    > 2800 and a 400 3200) - both have a gig of ddr and both have TI-4600s. One
    > is an NForce2 board, and the other is a VIA KT6 (both windoze installs
    have
    > fresh motherboard drivers)
    >
    > When 451 first arrived, I participated in a couple of threads where others
    > could not connect to 451 from 436 and their OS's ranged from W98 to WXP,
    but
    > *nix users reported no problems. The symptom is that the connection never
    > completes. If left alone with the "connecting" screen then eventually UT
    > will crash with an out of memory error that says that you need to free up
    > diskspace. - Just a by the way: The new install is all alone with
    windows
    > and office only on a 120 Gb drive and there is a gig of PC-3200 behind
    that
    > as well, so out of memory is an odd error... but no real matter. It is
    the
    > same as was reported by many others when 451 hit the pubs.
    >
    > Since a connection is never established, there is no log for the event in
    > the logs folder. However, the unrealtournament log in the system folder
    is
    > different. It shows about 700 or 750 warnings of receiving an invalid
    actor
    > class. I have tested this, and I get this hang on invalid actor class
    every
    > time I try to connect to any 451. I tried 25 different 451 servers this
    > evening and got it on all of them.
    >
    > I suppose I could deja-google up a few of the old threads on the topic,
    but

    > I think that you were here and participating in some of the same
    > discussions.

    This is very odd. I haven't played online in a long time myself. but I
    just fired up ut 4.36 and played on several different 4.51 servers without a
    hitch. This is on winxp pro sp1. So I know it can work.. I will have to
    try to rack my brain. I seem to recall some people were having an out of
    memory error for some stupid reason with the original release years ago.

    and as for invalid actor class, that has to be a clue to something, just
    don't know what.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:
    > "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    > and as for invalid actor class, that has to be a clue to something,
    > just don't know what.

    Which 436 patch do you use? I just came up with a suspicion.

    I no longer use Creative Soundcards, but I'm still using the Creative
    patch.... It is the only one I ever archived. I wonder if the issue has
    something to do with the Creative patch because some people (like yourself
    on windows - and apparently all *nix users) have no issue.

    I'm off to google the regular 436 patch and will give it a try if I find it
    and post back.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    §ï×darts wrote:
    > Margolis wrote

    Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I found the
    regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file planet but file
    planet can bite me). I just saved my ut.ini, user.ini, and opengl driver -
    then installed it right on top of the creative patch and dropped my saved
    files back in.

    I can now connect to 451.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:
    > §ï×darts enlightened us with:
    <snip>

    > That's pretty weird, since UT's network code is the same on every OS.
    > Perhaps you could free up a few GB and give Linux a try - if it helps
    > you play the game, it might be worth the effort.
    >
    > [note: I'm not trying to start another OS war here - it's just a
    > problem that *can* be fixed by using Linux, that's all]

    I use linux and a couple of flavors of unix here already. I use them for
    work, not for gaming, though.

    <snip>
    > Weirdness galore... have you tried talking to the people that created
    > 451?

    Nope. Don't know them or how to get ahold of them. I do know what the
    problem is now, so if you'll be kind enough to point me in the right
    direction, I'll drop them a line with the bug report.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > §ï×darts wrote:
    >
    > Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I found the
    > regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file planet but file
    > planet can bite me). I just saved my ut.ini, user.ini, and opengl
    driver -
    > then installed it right on top of the creative patch and dropped my saved
    > files back in.
    >
    > I can now connect to 451.

    glad to hear you got it working. But what is this creative patch you talk
    about? I have creative cards in all of my computers and haven't ever had to
    use any special patch for UT. With the current system it is an audigy 2 zs
    pro.

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Margolis wrote:
    > §ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> §ï×darts wrote:
    <snip>
    > glad to hear you got it working. But what is this creative patch you
    > talk about? I have creative cards in all of my computers and haven't
    > ever had to use any special patch for UT. With the current system it
    > is an audigy 2 zs pro.

    The creative edition 436 patch allowed EAX enhancements to UT on creative
    soundcards (and, I read that there was some compatibility issue on the SB
    Live Platinum 5.1 that the creative edition was supposed to fix for some
    people). It was 32 megs but still required a seperate install of the EAX
    librairies for each type of game play - oh, and a 2 meg Eax Library patch
    had to be installed before the libraries were installed, too. I have the
    EAX enhancement files on a CD somewhere, but I haven't used them in forever
    because I switched to Turtle Beach soundcards a long time ago.

    The EAX enhancements were actually quite good (IMHO). They improved the
    surround sound from 4 channel to 6 and added some sound effects.... I just
    never thought twice about using a different 436 patch after I quit using the
    EAX stuff.

    Just because I wanted to see if it was the creative patch or the combination
    of the creative patch and not having a creative card that was causing the
    problem, I just installed UT on an old 1 Ghz PIII with a soundblaster Live
    X-Gamer 5.1 that I had out in the garage.... same thing. Couldn't connect
    to 451.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    could anyone tell me what these "de" files are and why I should delete them?

    flycouch
    > Margolis wrote:
    > > "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > 451 is for servers only, so no, you do not want to install it on your
    > > client. You shouldn't have any problems connecting to them with 436.
    > > As meltdown suggested, more details about your system and the exact
    > > error reported and a description of what happens. Do you have your
    > > page file locked to a specific size instead of letting windows manage
    > > it?
    >
    > Nice to see your nym... - And nope. Windows is allowed to manage it on
    > both of these boxes.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    boogers wrote:
    > could anyone tell me what these "de" files are and why I should
    > delete them?

    One of the bonus packs (I think it was #4) replaced the two de files in the
    sytem folder (de.int and de.u) with a version that isn't compatible with any
    server not running the same bonus pack. So, when trying to connect to any
    server with different de files, it will generate a ".de version mismatch" an
    d you won't be able to connect.

    To be able to connect to a server that gives you a de version mismatch, you
    just delete those two de files in the unrealtournament/system directory and
    let the server feed you new ones.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:25:52 -0600, §ï×darts <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > §ï×darts wrote:
    >> Margolis wrote
    >

    > Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I found the
    > regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file planet but file
    > planet can bite me). I just saved my ut.ini, user.ini, and opengl driver -
    > then installed it right on top of the creative patch and dropped my saved
    > files back in.
    >
    > I can now connect to 451.

    Hey, that's good stuff to know, thanks for posting the results of the legwork.
    I was going to suggest that 451b is released for Windows (haven't seen a Lin
    patch yet), but your solution makes sense. I've also got a 436 WinXP box that
    wouldn't connect to my 451 Lin server (without first patching it to 451?).
    Will have to make sure I file my Creative CDs before I set up pals' systems
    next time. Thanks again, good post.

    --
    Solar-powered Linux: Slackware9.1 2.4.26 IBM ThinkPad560
    1993 BRC Banzai w/60T Real Chainring & Shimano Deore XT

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:02:30 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The creative edition 436 patch allowed EAX enhancements to UT on creative
    >soundcards (and, I read that there was some compatibility issue on the SB
    >Live Platinum 5.1 that the creative edition was supposed to fix for some
    >people). It was 32 megs but still required a seperate install of the EAX
    >librairies for each type of game play - oh, and a 2 meg Eax Library patch
    >had to be installed before the libraries were installed, too. I have the
    >EAX enhancement files on a CD somewhere, but I haven't used them in forever
    >because I switched to Turtle Beach soundcards a long time ago.
    >
    >The EAX enhancements were actually quite good (IMHO). They improved the
    >surround sound from 4 channel to 6 and added some sound effects.... I just
    >never thought twice about using a different 436 patch after I quit using the
    >EAX stuff.
    >
    >Just because I wanted to see if it was the creative patch or the combination
    >of the creative patch and not having a creative card that was causing the
    >problem, I just installed UT on an old 1 Ghz PIII with a soundblaster Live
    >X-Gamer 5.1 that I had out in the garage.... same thing. Couldn't connect
    >to 451.

    Just to clarify...

    Creative bundled a copy of UT with some of their cards. The patch
    you're talking about took *that* version to 436. In addition,
    Creative offered an advanced EAX package that enhanced the sound on
    some maps. That enhancement works on any version of UT... not just
    the special Creative version. I use it myself and it still works
    great.

    And don't bother contacting the dolts that put together the abortion
    known as 451. I already have. They couldn't get any of the EAX code
    from Creative, so that part will always be broken... much like the
    rest of the "work" they did on UT.

    Anyway, glad you got it sorted Six.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Folk wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:02:30 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:

    > Just to clarify...
    >
    > Creative bundled a copy of UT with some of their cards. The patch
    > you're talking about took *that* version to 436. In addition,
    > Creative offered an advanced EAX package that enhanced the sound on
    > some maps. That enhancement works on any version of UT... not just
    > the special Creative version. I use it myself and it still works
    > great.

    Yup. You are right. I have never had that particular version of UT (the
    creative bundled one) but I've been using the creative patch since I had my
    Creative Live 5.1 Platinum ( a long time ago), and it solved some little
    issue I had.. I can't find a link to it, but there was a sound stutter that
    the creative patch fixed for some of us.

    > And don't bother contacting the dolts that put together the abortion
    > known as 451. I already have. They couldn't get any of the EAX code
    > from Creative, so that part will always be broken... much like the
    > rest of the "work" they did on UT.

    I remember reading that (in a thread of yours probably). I'm not sure why
    they would need creative's permission since creative says the programmer
    that did it doesn't work for them anymore and that they don't own the EAX
    for UT any more. It seems like it wouldn't be so difficult to keep a
    changelog on installing hte EAX patch and go have a look at the code
    directly... but anyway, oh well.

    > Anyway, glad you got it sorted Six.

    Me too. I haven't been able to connect to 451 ever. Perhaps I'll be able
    to find a DM server with very few mods and a good bunch of people to play
    <hopefully anyway>

    Nice to see you're still around. There aren't too many familiar nyms here
    any more... just a handful. Glad you're one of them.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > boogers wrote:
    > > could anyone tell me what these "de" files are and why I should
    > > delete them?
    >
    > One of the bonus packs (I think it was #4) replaced the two de files in
    the
    > sytem folder (de.int and de.u) with a version that isn't compatible with
    any
    > server not running the same bonus pack. So, when trying to connect to any
    > server with different de files, it will generate a ".de version mismatch"
    an
    > d you won't be able to connect.

    More specifically: Digital Extremes originally released a mutator as a loose
    "bonus file" on their website, along with a couple of maps when UT first
    launched. These were later repackaged into a "bonus pack" some years later,
    after it became popular to release add-ons in this fashion.

    For some reason or another, the DE mutator was modified with the GOTY (432)
    CD and is included with the 436 patch for compatibility. Problematically for
    fresh installs, Epic never bothered to remove/update the file in the bonus
    pack. Thus, the version of the DE mutator that you end up with depends on
    whether you patched first or installed the bonus pack first. The files will
    overwrite each other. Since the version that ships in 432/436 is technically
    "newer", it's generally recommended that you install the bonus pack first
    and then patch, so that you end up with the newer file. Most servers will be
    set up that way also. Or if you're like me and still have the individual
    files for DE content, just don't copy the mutator into UT.

    > To be able to connect to a server that gives you a de version mismatch,
    you
    > just delete those two de files in the unrealtournament/system directory
    and
    > let the server feed you new ones.

    Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain that you also have to delete the files
    from your cache, if you pull them from a server and then get the mismatch on
    a different server. This can be a pretty big headache so when I get a
    mismatch (server running older version) I just find a different server to
    play on. If you know the admin of the server, you can also ask him to use
    the newer version.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    EAX and UT?? I thougt that UT is simple stereo. EAX might work in 2k4 but
    not in Goty. Am i completely wrong here? Do you play really with 4+
    speakers? I use Headphones with EAX in 2k4 and there is a difference
    between EAX enabled or not. Even made some probs with voicechat and takes
    more cpu power.

    confused

    Klaus Bregel wrote:
    > EAX and UT?? I thougt that UT is simple stereo. EAX might work in 2k4
    > but not in Goty. Am i completely wrong here? Do you play really with
    > 4+ speakers? I use Headphones with EAX in 2k4 and there is a
    > difference between EAX enabled or not. Even made some probs with
    > voicechat and takes more cpu power.

    Yup. - The hardware 3d sound in UT is 4 channels. With the creative patch
    and EAX enhancements, it emulates 6 channels to be dolby 5.1 compatible with
    Creative cards.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    §ï×darts enlightened us with:
    > Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I
    > found the regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file
    > planet but file planet can bite me).

    It's also on 3D Gamers. Thanks for the info, btw - it's now in the
    FAQ.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Connection Games Video Games