Has a solution been found for

The 436 unable to connect to 451?

It has been awhile since I cared. Any free moment to play has been on my
own servers on my LAN. - However, I'd still like to be able to play some
pubs now and again. My old install would run out of virtual memory
eventually when trying to connect to 451 (three or four minutes). So, I did
a fresh install on a new machine. Same deal. Can't connect to 451's and I
don't really want to run 451 as a client. Is there a work around?

"§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The 436 unable to connect to 451?
>
> It has been awhile since I cared. Any free moment to play has been on my
> own servers on my LAN. - However, I'd still like to be able to play some
> pubs now and again. My old install would run out of virtual memory
> eventually when trying to connect to 451 (three or four minutes). So, I
did
> a fresh install on a new machine. Same deal. Can't connect to 451's and
> don't really want to run 451 as a client. Is there a work around?

451 is for servers only, so no, you do not want to install it on your
client. You shouldn't have any problems connecting to them with 436. As
meltdown suggested, more details about your system and the exact error
reported and a description of what happens. Do you have your page file
locked to a specific size instead of letting windows manage it?

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Margolis wrote:
> "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> 451 is for servers only, so no, you do not want to install it on your
> client. You shouldn't have any problems connecting to them with 436.
> As meltdown suggested, more details about your system and the exact
> error reported and a description of what happens. Do you have your
> page file locked to a specific size instead of letting windows manage
> it?

Nice to see your nym... - And nope. Windows is allowed to manage it on
both of these boxes.

Meltdown

§ï×darts enlightened us with:
> Can't connect to 451's and I don't really want to run 451 as a
> client. Is there a work around?

I can connect to a 451 with a 436. You might want to mention more
details here.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

MeltDown wrote:
> §ï×darts enlightened us with:
>> Can't connect to 451's and I don't really want to run 451 as a
>> client. Is there a work around?
>
> I can connect to a 451 with a 436. You might want to mention more
> details here.

OK. GOTY - all 4 bonus packs - Patched to 436 - both de files deleted and I
accepted whatever the first 436 server I connected to fed me for new ones
(got in that habbit a long time ago) - and, both installs are on fully
patched W2k boxes. One install is ancient and contains many, many gigabytes
of downloaded maps and textures. The other install is brand new fresh as of
yesterday. - Both boxes are relatively high end 32bit AMD systems (a 333
2800 and a 400 3200) - both have a gig of ddr and both have TI-4600s. One
is an NForce2 board, and the other is a VIA KT6 (both windoze installs have
fresh motherboard drivers)

When 451 first arrived, I participated in a couple of threads where others
could not connect to 451 from 436 and their OS's ranged from W98 to WXP, but
*nix users reported no problems. The symptom is that the connection never
completes. If left alone with the "connecting" screen then eventually UT
will crash with an out of memory error that says that you need to free up
diskspace. - Just a by the way: The new install is all alone with windows
and office only on a 120 Gb drive and there is a gig of PC-3200 behind that
as well, so out of memory is an odd error... but no real matter. It is the
same as was reported by many others when 451 hit the pubs.

Since a connection is never established, there is no log for the event in
the logs folder. However, the unrealtournament log in the system folder is
different. It shows about 700 or 750 warnings of receiving an invalid actor
class. I have tested this, and I get this hang on invalid actor class every
time I try to connect to any 451. I tried 25 different 451 servers this
evening and got it on all of them.

I suppose I could deja-google up a few of the old threads on the topic, but

I think that you were here and participating in some of the same
discussions.

Meltdown

§ï×darts enlightened us with:
> OK. GOTY - all 4 bonus packs - Patched to 436

So that would be the US 432 version of GOTY, and not the 436 version
the rest of the world has?

> both de files deleted and I accepted whatever the first 436 server I
> connected to fed me for new ones (got in that habbit a long time
> ago)

Good one.

> and, both installs are on fully patched W2k boxes.

Ok. Telling us the OS is pretty important, since the game runs on Mac,
Linux and Windows.

> One install is ancient and contains many, many gigabytes of
> downloaded maps and textures. The other install is brand new fresh
> as of yesterday. - Both boxes are relatively high end 32bit AMD
> systems (a 333 2800 and a 400 3200) - both have a gig of ddr and
> both have TI-4600s.

That should definitely be enough!

> When 451 first arrived, I participated in a couple of threads where
> others could not connect to 451 from 436 and their OS's ranged from
> W98 to WXP, but *nix users reported no problems.

That's pretty weird, since UT's network code is the same on every OS.
Perhaps you could free up a few GB and give Linux a try - if it helps
you play the game, it might be worth the effort.

[note: I'm not trying to start another OS war here - it's just a
problem that *can* be fixed by using Linux, that's all]

> Since a connection is never established, there is no log for the
> event in the logs folder. However, the unrealtournament log in the
> system folder is different.

Then what log were you talking about in the first of those two
sentences?

> It shows about 700 or 750 warnings of receiving an invalid actor
> class. I have tested this, and I get this hang on invalid actor
> class every time I try to connect to any 451. I tried 25 different
> 451 servers this evening and got it on all of them.

Weirdness galore... have you tried talking to the people that created
451?

MeltDown

> OK. GOTY - all 4 bonus packs - Patched to 436 - both de files deleted and
> accepted whatever the first 436 server I connected to fed me for new ones
> (got in that habbit a long time ago) - and, both installs are on fully
> patched W2k boxes. One install is ancient and contains many, many
gigabytes
> of downloaded maps and textures. The other install is brand new fresh as
of
> yesterday. - Both boxes are relatively high end 32bit AMD systems (a 333
> 2800 and a 400 3200) - both have a gig of ddr and both have TI-4600s. One
> is an NForce2 board, and the other is a VIA KT6 (both windoze installs
have
> fresh motherboard drivers)
>
> When 451 first arrived, I participated in a couple of threads where others
> could not connect to 451 from 436 and their OS's ranged from W98 to WXP,
but
> *nix users reported no problems. The symptom is that the connection never
> completes. If left alone with the "connecting" screen then eventually UT
> will crash with an out of memory error that says that you need to free up
> diskspace. - Just a by the way: The new install is all alone with
windows
> and office only on a 120 Gb drive and there is a gig of PC-3200 behind
that
> as well, so out of memory is an odd error... but no real matter. It is
the
> same as was reported by many others when 451 hit the pubs.
>
> Since a connection is never established, there is no log for the event in
> the logs folder. However, the unrealtournament log in the system folder
is
> different. It shows about 700 or 750 warnings of receiving an invalid
actor
> class. I have tested this, and I get this hang on invalid actor class
every
> time I try to connect to any 451. I tried 25 different 451 servers this
> evening and got it on all of them.
>
> I suppose I could deja-google up a few of the old threads on the topic,
but

> I think that you were here and participating in some of the same
> discussions.

This is very odd. I haven't played online in a long time myself. but I
just fired up ut 4.36 and played on several different 4.51 servers without a
hitch. This is on winxp pro sp1. So I know it can work.. I will have to
try to rack my brain. I seem to recall some people were having an out of
memory error for some stupid reason with the original release years ago.

and as for invalid actor class, that has to be a clue to something, just
don't know what.

--

Margolis wrote:
> "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

> and as for invalid actor class, that has to be a clue to something,
> just don't know what.

Which 436 patch do you use? I just came up with a suspicion.

I no longer use Creative Soundcards, but I'm still using the Creative
patch.... It is the only one I ever archived. I wonder if the issue has
something to do with the Creative patch because some people (like yourself
on windows - and apparently all *nix users) have no issue.

I'm off to google the regular 436 patch and will give it a try if I find it
and post back.

§ï×darts wrote:
> Margolis wrote

Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I found the
regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file planet but file
planet can bite me). I just saved my ut.ini, user.ini, and opengl driver -
then installed it right on top of the creative patch and dropped my saved
files back in.

I can now connect to 451.

MeltDown wrote:
> §ï×darts enlightened us with:
<snip>

> That's pretty weird, since UT's network code is the same on every OS.
> Perhaps you could free up a few GB and give Linux a try - if it helps
> you play the game, it might be worth the effort.
>
> [note: I'm not trying to start another OS war here - it's just a
> problem that *can* be fixed by using Linux, that's all]

I use linux and a couple of flavors of unix here already. I use them for
work, not for gaming, though.

<snip>
> Weirdness galore... have you tried talking to the people that created
> 451?

Nope. Don't know them or how to get ahold of them. I do know what the
problem is now, so if you'll be kind enough to point me in the right
direction, I'll drop them a line with the bug report.

> §ï×darts wrote:
>
> Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I found the
> regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file planet but file
> planet can bite me). I just saved my ut.ini, user.ini, and opengl
driver -
> then installed it right on top of the creative patch and dropped my saved
> files back in.
>
> I can now connect to 451.

glad to hear you got it working. But what is this creative patch you talk
about? I have creative cards in all of my computers and haven't ever had to
use any special patch for UT. With the current system it is an audigy 2 zs
pro.

--

Margolis wrote:
> §ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> §ï×darts wrote:
<snip>
> glad to hear you got it working. But what is this creative patch you
> talk about? I have creative cards in all of my computers and haven't
> ever had to use any special patch for UT. With the current system it
> is an audigy 2 zs pro.

The creative edition 436 patch allowed EAX enhancements to UT on creative
soundcards (and, I read that there was some compatibility issue on the SB
Live Platinum 5.1 that the creative edition was supposed to fix for some
people). It was 32 megs but still required a seperate install of the EAX
librairies for each type of game play - oh, and a 2 meg Eax Library patch
had to be installed before the libraries were installed, too. I have the
EAX enhancement files on a CD somewhere, but I haven't used them in forever
because I switched to Turtle Beach soundcards a long time ago.

The EAX enhancements were actually quite good (IMHO). They improved the
surround sound from 4 channel to 6 and added some sound effects.... I just
never thought twice about using a different 436 patch after I quit using the
EAX stuff.

Just because I wanted to see if it was the creative patch or the combination
of the creative patch and not having a creative card that was causing the
problem, I just installed UT on an old 1 Ghz PIII with a soundblaster Live
X-Gamer 5.1 that I had out in the garage.... same thing. Couldn't connect
to 451.

could anyone tell me what these "de" files are and why I should delete them?

flycouch

boogers wrote:
> could anyone tell me what these "de" files are and why I should
> delete them?

One of the bonus packs (I think it was #4) replaced the two de files in the
sytem folder (de.int and de.u) with a version that isn't compatible with any
server not running the same bonus pack. So, when trying to connect to any
server with different de files, it will generate a ".de version mismatch" an
d you won't be able to connect.

To be able to connect to a server that gives you a de version mismatch, you
just delete those two de files in the unrealtournament/system directory and
let the server feed you new ones.

danno

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:25:52 -0600, §ï×darts <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote:
> §ï×darts wrote:
>> Margolis wrote
>

> Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I found the
> regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file planet but file
> planet can bite me). I just saved my ut.ini, user.ini, and opengl driver -
> then installed it right on top of the creative patch and dropped my saved
> files back in.
>
> I can now connect to 451.

Hey, that's good stuff to know, thanks for posting the results of the legwork.
I was going to suggest that 451b is released for Windows (haven't seen a Lin
patch yet), but your solution makes sense. I've also got a 436 WinXP box that
wouldn't connect to my 451 Lin server (without first patching it to 451?).
Will have to make sure I file my Creative CDs before I set up pals' systems
next time. Thanks again, good post.

--
Solar-powered Linux: Slackware9.1 2.4.26 IBM ThinkPad560
1993 BRC Banzai w/60T Real Chainring & Shimano Deore XT

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:02:30 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The creative edition 436 patch allowed EAX enhancements to UT on creative
>soundcards (and, I read that there was some compatibility issue on the SB
>Live Platinum 5.1 that the creative edition was supposed to fix for some
>people). It was 32 megs but still required a seperate install of the EAX
>librairies for each type of game play - oh, and a 2 meg Eax Library patch
>had to be installed before the libraries were installed, too. I have the
>EAX enhancement files on a CD somewhere, but I haven't used them in forever
>because I switched to Turtle Beach soundcards a long time ago.
>
>The EAX enhancements were actually quite good (IMHO). They improved the
>surround sound from 4 channel to 6 and added some sound effects.... I just
>never thought twice about using a different 436 patch after I quit using the
>EAX stuff.
>
>Just because I wanted to see if it was the creative patch or the combination
>of the creative patch and not having a creative card that was causing the
>problem, I just installed UT on an old 1 Ghz PIII with a soundblaster Live
>X-Gamer 5.1 that I had out in the garage.... same thing. Couldn't connect
>to 451.

Just to clarify...

Creative bundled a copy of UT with some of their cards. The patch
you're talking about took *that* version to 436. In addition,
Creative offered an advanced EAX package that enhanced the sound on
some maps. That enhancement works on any version of UT... not just
the special Creative version. I use it myself and it still works
great.

And don't bother contacting the dolts that put together the abortion
known as 451. I already have. They couldn't get any of the EAX code
from Creative, so that part will always be broken... much like the
rest of the "work" they did on UT.

Anyway, glad you got it sorted Six.

Folk wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 01:02:30 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

> Just to clarify...
>
> Creative bundled a copy of UT with some of their cards. The patch
> you're talking about took *that* version to 436. In addition,
> Creative offered an advanced EAX package that enhanced the sound on
> some maps. That enhancement works on any version of UT... not just
> the special Creative version. I use it myself and it still works
> great.

Yup. You are right. I have never had that particular version of UT (the
creative bundled one) but I've been using the creative patch since I had my
Creative Live 5.1 Platinum ( a long time ago), and it solved some little
issue I had.. I can't find a link to it, but there was a sound stutter that
the creative patch fixed for some of us.

> And don't bother contacting the dolts that put together the abortion
> known as 451. I already have. They couldn't get any of the EAX code
> from Creative, so that part will always be broken... much like the
> rest of the "work" they did on UT.

I remember reading that (in a thread of yours probably). I'm not sure why
they would need creative's permission since creative says the programmer
that did it doesn't work for them anymore and that they don't own the EAX
for UT any more. It seems like it wouldn't be so difficult to keep a
changelog on installing hte EAX patch and go have a look at the code
directly... but anyway, oh well.

> Anyway, glad you got it sorted Six.

Me too. I haven't been able to connect to 451 ever. Perhaps I'll be able
to find a DM server with very few mods and a good bunch of people to play
<hopefully anyway>

Nice to see you're still around. There aren't too many familiar nyms here
any more... just a handful. Glad you're one of them.

> boogers wrote:
> > could anyone tell me what these "de" files are and why I should
> > delete them?
>
> One of the bonus packs (I think it was #4) replaced the two de files in
the
> sytem folder (de.int and de.u) with a version that isn't compatible with
any
> server not running the same bonus pack. So, when trying to connect to any
> server with different de files, it will generate a ".de version mismatch"
an
> d you won't be able to connect.

More specifically: Digital Extremes originally released a mutator as a loose
"bonus file" on their website, along with a couple of maps when UT first
launched. These were later repackaged into a "bonus pack" some years later,
after it became popular to release add-ons in this fashion.

For some reason or another, the DE mutator was modified with the GOTY (432)
CD and is included with the 436 patch for compatibility. Problematically for
fresh installs, Epic never bothered to remove/update the file in the bonus
pack. Thus, the version of the DE mutator that you end up with depends on
whether you patched first or installed the bonus pack first. The files will
overwrite each other. Since the version that ships in 432/436 is technically
"newer", it's generally recommended that you install the bonus pack first
and then patch, so that you end up with the newer file. Most servers will be
set up that way also. Or if you're like me and still have the individual
files for DE content, just don't copy the mutator into UT.

> To be able to connect to a server that gives you a de version mismatch,
you
> just delete those two de files in the unrealtournament/system directory
and
> let the server feed you new ones.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain that you also have to delete the files
from your cache, if you pull them from a server and then get the mismatch on
a different server. This can be a pretty big headache so when I get a
mismatch (server running older version) I just find a different server to
play on. If you know the admin of the server, you can also ask him to use
the newer version.

EAX and UT?? I thougt that UT is simple stereo. EAX might work in 2k4 but
not in Goty. Am i completely wrong here? Do you play really with 4+
speakers? I use Headphones with EAX in 2k4 and there is a difference
between EAX enabled or not. Even made some probs with voicechat and takes
more cpu power.

confused

Klaus Bregel wrote:
> EAX and UT?? I thougt that UT is simple stereo. EAX might work in 2k4
> but not in Goty. Am i completely wrong here? Do you play really with
> 4+ speakers? I use Headphones with EAX in 2k4 and there is a
> difference between EAX enabled or not. Even made some probs with
> voicechat and takes more cpu power.

Yup. - The hardware 3d sound in UT is 4 channels. With the creative patch
and EAX enhancements, it emulates 6 channels to be dolby 5.1 compatible with
Creative cards.

Meltdown

§ï×darts enlightened us with:
> Alrighty then. That was it. I couldn't find the no delta but I
> found the regular 436 patch (well, no delta appears to be on file
> planet but file planet can bite me).

It's also on 3D Gamers. Thanks for the info, btw - it's now in the
FAQ.

MeltDown