jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hey all,
So I'm a complete novice at computer building, and I have a question. When I'm looking for a power supply for my computer I plan on building, what all plugs into the psu?

Here are my (hopeful) specs:

Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3
Intel Core i7 920
XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770
(two in a crossfirex configuration)
Creative Labs SB0886 PCIE Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
a total of 9 gb (1+1+1,2+2+2) ddr3 sdram (Ripjaws)
Cooler Master RC-600-KKN1-GP Gladiator 600 Mid Tower ATX Case
Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98
(two of these) Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 5900RPM SATA

Solution
Yeah, especially for that read the guides in the systems section. That is how I learned and put together my first build this april. It is all very doable but remember that the longest part of the process is the research. Ordering parts and putting everything together is like the last 10% of the whole. I was reading up on it for about 2 months or so before i actually pulled the trigger but again, after you did your homework, post up a build you think is good in the systems forum and there are a number of people who will give you suggestions for the better. It seems daunting now, but it's a crazy fun ride.

bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
There are two connectors for the Motherboard: 1-2 plugs on each video card depending on the type, haven't had experience with sound cards so not sure but doubt it (also, question do you work with audio in some way? b/c otherwise absolutely no reason to even get a sound card, you won't hear a difference between it and the mobo integrated sound), 1 for the DVD drive and 1 for each HDD. And it's more like the PSU plugs into them than vice versa. But don't worry there will be more than enough cables included with the PSU.

Also, there is a great reads in this forum if you haven't looked yet:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html.

I also suggest you run this build by the same forum, can get a lot of positive feedback on how the parts are and maybe suggestions on how you can improve this build.

jg3220

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
ok. well I am an amateur music composer so I want a kick ass sound card for that. but i suppose that could wait..... I don't know I'm purely thinking theoreticals thus far.

bCubed

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Yeah, especially for that read the guides in the systems section. That is how I learned and put together my first build this april. It is all very doable but remember that the longest part of the process is the research. Ordering parts and putting everything together is like the last 10% of the whole. I was reading up on it for about 2 months or so before i actually pulled the trigger but again, after you did your homework, post up a build you think is good in the systems forum and there are a number of people who will give you suggestions for the better. It seems daunting now, but it's a crazy fun ride.

Solution