Marvell controllers not detected

chchom22

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
rundown of the short history of my computer(built it about 2 weeks ago)
Bear with me...

the first time i ever powered on-- the ssd was connected to the marvell port, and the BIOS could not detect it. So i switched it to the intel sata 6.0 and the bios detected it..so i figured once i installed Windows 7, everything would be smooth from then on

couple days ago i ran a benchmark test and my read write speeds seemed very off, and my total score was not even close to what it should have been.
windows index gave me a 5.9 as well. im reading everywhere online that my ssd should be in ahci and in the marvell controller, if the above problems are occurring

today i remembered that this whole time my ssd was not in the marvell port so i figured that now with OS installed, connecting it to the marvell controller would fix the performance issues along with the windows index score.
------
this is also when i realized that this whole time my asus p8p67 pro only shows 6 out of my 8 sata ports in the BIOS, the 2 missing being the marvell
------
so i boot with the ssd connected to the marvell controller, the marvell controller enabled under device configurations in the BIOS, and its set to AHCI, but still the ssd is not detected in the Sata configuration portion of the bios because the marvel controllers are not listed but every other port is.

I attempt to boot and this is where things get interesting:

1) for the first time ever, this screen that i keep getting before the Asus Splash logo says "hard disk is detected" usually it said not

2) it manages to boot to my desktop but then i get a blue screen--sometimes 5 seconds in, sometimes 5 minutes

i managed to run windows experience index but it repeatedly fails to finish
HELP

Solution
I cannot think of a single reason that you would want to have your SSD plugged into the Marvell ports. The regular Cougar Point SATA-6 ports would do the job fine.

Does it work if you do that? I wouldn't be too concerned with the WEI -- it is not generally considered a useful or consistent (across machines) benchmark.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I cannot think of a single reason that you would want to have your SSD plugged into the Marvell ports. The regular Cougar Point SATA-6 ports would do the job fine.

Does it work if you do that? I wouldn't be too concerned with the WEI -- it is not generally considered a useful or consistent (across machines) benchmark.

Solution
The Marvell SATA3 controller's performance sucks compared to the Intel SATA3 controller. Don't ever use the Marvell ports for an SSD. I don't know who's recommending the Marvell ports over the Intel ports, but they are wrong.

The BIOS screen will never show any drive connected to the Marvell controller -- it is only meant to show drives connected to the Intel controllers.

If your WEI score for the hard drive was 5.9, then WEI wasn't testing your SSD -- it was testing a normal hard drive. I'm assuming your system has one, because even on the Marvell ports the hard drive WEI score should be higher than 5.9 with an SSD.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

This+++

I don't even know why people use the Marvell controller -- there's so much more overhead than using the built-in SATA controllers.