Sign in with
Your question

Newbie - Need Advice - Build for graphic design work...

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 2:23:08 PM

Hey guys, great forum! I'm looking to build a PC for graphic design/web design... I Also make music as a hobby. No gaming at all and no watching movies... I'm taking some online training classes and need something that won't slow me down.

I'm just worried about ordering parts and then finding out they won't be compatible. I have a basic grasp on parts and technology. It's just that - when reading reviews i get overwhelmed with always hearing "you'd be better of with this or that"

I know Intel is changing in 2011. I want to spend between $800 - $1000 (US)

I'm thing AMD is they way to go if i want to upgrade later? I feel like this will be a new hobby of mine :) 

Any advice?

August 3, 2010 2:29:38 PM

1055T Thuban
880G chipset
4GB DDR3
500GB-1TB Hdd
SATA DVDRW
380-500w 80+
at least a 2 x 120mm fans capable casing
aftermarket cooler (optional)
professional class GPU (optional, if apps take advantage of GPU acceleration)
60GB Sandforce based SSD (optional)
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 2:35:25 PM

^ 4 mins later? LOL

So, is that from someone else build or do you throw that together real quick? Thanks
Related resources
August 3, 2010 2:37:21 PM

Twas from my config last month actually..ah the sweet combos of July :p 
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 2:42:24 PM

Awesome, that really looks sweet... Much thanks. Only thing is the case. I really like the Antec Nine Hundred Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seems popular and i want a nice look to it. I'd spend the extra cash for it

Thank you
August 3, 2010 2:44:42 PM

Well ones sense of aesthetics is really subjective so go with a case u like but that would be more of a gamer's case hehe
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 2:48:11 PM

^ Ha... One more question. I was told that a drive like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... would be great to store my OS on. Is this worth it if i have the extra $ or should I x it? I like the idea of having a separate drive for data, but not sure if it's worth it...
August 3, 2010 2:49:43 PM

Ouch 2 x SSDs? At current $$/GB most would be using these as boot/OS with very very careful placement of speciality software/apps on these drives Storage the best solution is still (for the $$) traditional mechanical hdds
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 2:57:21 PM

^ Thanks. Sorry, i over looked that Mushkin drive...

If I buy the fancy case (gamer case) would I still need that CPU cooler?

Case has:

Cooling System
80mm Fans No
120mm Fans 1 x 120mm TriCool rear fan with 3-speed switch control
2 x 120mm TriCool blue LED front fans with 3-speed switch control to cool HDDs
200mm Fans 1 x 200mm top fan
Side Air duct No

Sorry, probably dumb question...

Thanks for your help
August 3, 2010 3:00:17 PM

If u not familiar with OCing it's ok to stick to the stock cooler for a while and hit a nice after market one later A case with good cooling option is great but for clocking higher clocks one would best hit an after market cooler ^^
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 3:44:32 PM

^ Hey Thank You... I noticed there is no video card on that build...
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 6:36:11 PM

So, after reading reviews about all the parts of your config. I ordered the system parts - I basically copied your entire config except the case and extra fan. I got the gamer case and added a 24" monitor from ACER. Came out to $990 for everything. Can't wait to get it up and running
August 4, 2010 4:19:24 AM

Ya twas for a CPU intensive / little to nil GPU acceleration build so HD 4250 integrated would suffice Happy building and u are welcomed ^^
!