P8P67 Bios 16XX Released -- any thoughts so far?

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Asus has just recently released bios version 16XX for the P8P67 series (1606 for the Pro; 1608 for the Standard; etc; etc) -- Friday or Saturday, I believe it came out. Has anyone tried it out yet?

Curious what kind of results we're seeing. I was looking around on overclock.net and a few of the other sites, but the site design there is so terrible -- the Asus staffer that's on those sites just posts all of his messages in one thread -- regardless of topic -- that gets bigger and bigger. It's now up to 150 pages -- so impossible to sort through to see what the users' experience is...

Anyway -- anyone have any thoughts? Pretty stable or some new issues?

I find that most people here are of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset, so they don't update to the newest BIOSes unless they absolutely must. They tend to recommend not updating the BIOS despite the fact that Sandy Bridge plus Cougar Point is still a new platform and very much in need of the bug fixes, stability boosts, and performance increases that BIOS updates give. Too afraid of a failed BIOS update, they are. I'd bet that I've done over 1,000 BIOS updates in my career, and I've had exactly zero failed updates. I wouldn't hesitate to do another 1,000 updates either.

Good luck with getting meaningful responses... :p

One Nut

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011

Hey, I'm with you on that one, I'm never afraid to update a bios, why? I've had zero bios updates fail or have adverse effects. I have updated to this bios and I've also had the nVidia gtx 470 black screen after you login to Windows on every boot with this setup. I eventually found a way to get it to work most of the time but I'd still get black screen and lockups often. So far I haven't had a blackscreen at login with this new bios but it hasn't been more than a few days that I've had the bios updated, so I don't know if this issue has been fixed. They said this update does "Enhance PCIE compatibility" so I'm hoping its fixed. I'll have to try just the Gigabyte gtx 470 card on its own to confirm its been fixed, because when it was in the first pci-e slot it would never make it into windows. I have to use a gt 240 in the first slot to load up windows and then switch my monitor input to the 2nd dvi which is the 470 and login and then and only then can I make it into windows.

I'd say go ahead and update, backup your existing bios if your the type that is hesitant to install bios updates, to me its like a new set of video drivers to test.