Memory write errors

Mannaman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Hello,I get memory errors almost every boot (but I don't see the "error" information until I shut down) that cause many problems but all tests say my memory is OK. So, I'm thinking it's the CPU or the MB. Anyone recommend testing software to find the problem?

It's a MachSpeed MB and it's not an option so I simply chose "Abit" because it was first.

Mannaman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
That was the short answer. The longer answer is that no matter which pieces of RAM I use, including brand new RAM which I bought and put in, I still get the errors. That's why I returned the new RAM. I currently have five DIMMS and use four. I'm a detail person. Either all seven DIMMS were bad or it's not RAM.

What voltage is the memory spec'd to run, and what voltage is the board supplying by default. On older boards running DDR, it is quite common to have to bump the voltage to get 4 sticks to work correctly. If this does not help, the motherboard may need to be replaced. This company only made motherboards for a short while, this may be one of the reasons.

Mannaman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Thanks for the input. I didn't know that. I'll raise the voltage on next reboot and try it for a few days.

Windows just installed SP1 automatically but did it over a couple of days. The first install noticeably improved some things and the second deteriorated them, but there seemed to be a slight improvement in this area (with the first install).

I don't know the stock voltage, but will report back after I examine how things go.

Thanks again.

Mannaman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

I raised the voltage from 1.8 to 1.9 and it made no difference. I then raised it to 2.0 and it still made no difference. It's now been at 2.0 for several days and I see no difference. I still get the same memory error when I shut down or reboot. Sometimes the machine won't get past the error screen without my clicking "OK" and sometimes it will, just like before.

I say again, having used seven different DIMMs, I can't see how it's the memory, unless one wishes to speculate that seven different DIMMs were all bad yet all tested good, including two new DIMMs, which I returned when I found no improvement.

Mannaman

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

As I mentioned, the MB and the memory are 1.8v and I increased that twice and it's been running for a month like that but when I reboot, I get the same memory error probably better than 90% of the time. On the plus side, it seems that I have fewer strange problems with Windows though. So, though it's not eliminating the error, raising the memory voltage appears to have helped a little while I'm in Windows, so thanks for that tip :bounce:

Because someone suggested that the CPU might be the culprit, I'm a little hesitant to buy another board only to find it's the CPU. If that were the case, I wouldn't want to keep the board. It seems to me that most companies would consider this an abuse of their return policiy, right? I could well understand if they do.

DM613

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
That was the abbreviate acknowledgment. The best acknowledgment is that no amount which pieces of RAM I use, including cast new RAM which I bought and put in, I still get the errors. That's why I alternate the new RAM. I currently accept 5 DIMMS and use four. I'm a detail being. Either all seven DIMMS were bad or it's not RAM.
Tera OnlineTera Online GoldTera Gold