Sporadic Wireless Internet - Please Help!!

My internet connection only lasts around 3-4 minutes before it stops
completely. I can use the 'repair' function to repair the Wireless
Network Connection and thus restore my connection.

General browsing is unaffected by the problem as IE seems to keep
trying for a few seconds - and by this time, the connection has
automatically returned? Nonetheless, most other programs that use the
internet are reset. I use AOL for all of my email and am finding that
it's almost unusable*.

I get a message in a small 'speech' bubble saying that my "Wireless
Internet Connection is now connected" I think that this message should
only appear once, when the connection is made. I therefore think that
it's being lost momentarily and then coming back.

Please help!!

I formatted the computer last week and re-installed everything. There
shouldn't be any conflicts due to upgrades etc. After several days of
trying different settings last week, I managed to get it to work
perfectly. However, it's now worse than ever!

I've tried disabling the firewalls (inc. using the DNZ setting on the
router) but this didn't make any difference. I think that the problem
somehow relates to my IP address as the 'repair' function does help. I
thought that I had found the problem earlier today when I disabled
"AOL connectivity services" is the 'services' section of
Administration Tools. The problem's now back.

I'm at a loose end with this one. I would therefore be extremely
grateful to anyone who can shed light on this anomaly!!

Kind Regards

Niall

My hardware is:
Linksys WAG54G wireless router. I believe that there are numerous
problems with this product. I have updated the firmware to the latest
beta version. The lights on the front indicate that it is working (even
when there appears to be no connection on the computer)

D-Link 2.4Ghz USB Adapter. This is just plug and play. When it works,
it works well. However, I have had some difficulty with the USB ports
on the computer - some don't seem to work until I remove other
equipment due to a power fault?

My software is:
Windows XP with SP2
Java 5 with Update 3
AOL
McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall
Adaware, Spybot,

* AOL don't seem to know how to help!
2 answers Last reply
More about sporadic wireless internet help

    <niallbruce@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My internet connection only lasts around 3-4 minutes before it stops
    > completely. I can use the 'repair' function to repair the Wireless
    > Network Connection and thus restore my connection.
    >
    > General browsing is unaffected by the problem as IE seems to keep
    > trying for a few seconds - and by this time, the connection has
    > automatically returned? Nonetheless, most other programs that use the
    > internet are reset. I use AOL for all of my email and am finding that
    > it's almost unusable*.
    >
    > I get a message in a small 'speech' bubble saying that my "Wireless
    > Internet Connection is now connected" I think that this message should
    > only appear once, when the connection is made. I therefore think that
    > it's being lost momentarily and then coming back.
    >
    > Please help!!
    >
    > I formatted the computer last week and re-installed everything. There
    > shouldn't be any conflicts due to upgrades etc. After several days of
    > trying different settings last week, I managed to get it to work
    > perfectly. However, it's now worse than ever!
    >
    > I've tried disabling the firewalls (inc. using the DNZ setting on the
    > router) but this didn't make any difference. I think that the problem
    > somehow relates to my IP address as the 'repair' function does help. I
    > thought that I had found the problem earlier today when I disabled
    > "AOL connectivity services" is the 'services' section of
    > Administration Tools. The problem's now back.
    >
    > I'm at a loose end with this one. I would therefore be extremely
    > grateful to anyone who can shed light on this anomaly!!
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Niall
    >
    > My hardware is:
    > Linksys WAG54G wireless router. I believe that there are numerous
    > problems with this product. I have updated the firmware to the latest
    > beta version. The lights on the front indicate that it is working (even
    > when there appears to be no connection on the computer)
    >
    > D-Link 2.4Ghz USB Adapter. This is just plug and play. When it works,
    > it works well. However, I have had some difficulty with the USB ports
    > on the computer - some don't seem to work until I remove other
    > equipment due to a power fault?
    >
    > My software is:
    > Windows XP with SP2
    > Java 5 with Update 3
    > AOL
    > McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall
    > Adaware, Spybot,
    >
    > * AOL don't seem to know how to help!

    Check for interference around the house from 2.4G cordless
    phones and the like.

    This may not be a software problem at all, it just seems like
    it - when you fiddle with settings, the time taken to do so allows
    the interference to stop.

    Can even be your neighbor.

    On 4 May 2005 16:45:02 -0700, niallbruce@gmail.com wrote:

    > My internet connection only lasts around 3-4 minutes before it stops
    > completely. I can use the 'repair' function to repair the Wireless
    > Network Connection and thus restore my connection.
    >
    > General browsing is unaffected by the problem as IE seems to keep
    > trying for a few seconds - and by this time, the connection has
    > automatically returned? Nonetheless, most other programs that use the
    > internet are reset. I use AOL for all of my email and am finding that
    > it's almost unusable*.
    >
    > I get a message in a small 'speech' bubble saying that my "Wireless
    > Internet Connection is now connected" I think that this message should
    > only appear once, when the connection is made. I therefore think that
    > it's being lost momentarily and then coming back.
    >
    > Please help!!
    >
    > I formatted the computer last week and re-installed everything. There
    > shouldn't be any conflicts due to upgrades etc. After several days of
    > trying different settings last week, I managed to get it to work
    > perfectly. However, it's now worse than ever!
    >
    > I've tried disabling the firewalls (inc. using the DNZ setting on the
    > router) but this didn't make any difference. I think that the problem
    > somehow relates to my IP address as the 'repair' function does help. I
    > thought that I had found the problem earlier today when I disabled
    > "AOL connectivity services" is the 'services' section of
    > Administration Tools. The problem's now back.
    >
    > I'm at a loose end with this one. I would therefore be extremely
    > grateful to anyone who can shed light on this anomaly!!
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Niall
    >
    > My hardware is:
    > Linksys WAG54G wireless router. I believe that there are numerous
    > problems with this product. I have updated the firmware to the latest
    > beta version. The lights on the front indicate that it is working (even
    > when there appears to be no connection on the computer)
    >
    > D-Link 2.4Ghz USB Adapter. This is just plug and play. When it works,
    > it works well. However, I have had some difficulty with the USB ports
    > on the computer - some don't seem to work until I remove other
    > equipment due to a power fault?
    >
    > My software is:
    > Windows XP with SP2
    > Java 5 with Update 3
    > AOL
    > McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall
    > Adaware, Spybot,
    >
    > * AOL don't seem to know how to help!

    AOL used to disconnect member's idle connections on busy nodes. Don't know
    if they still do that or if it applies to their broadband service. However,
    if they still use this practice, a click or two will be necessary to
    re-activate the connection.

    Also, check the properties of your connection (LAN and Internet). If 802.1x
    authentication try disabling it. When this fails to find an authentication
    server (not common on home setups), connection is lost about every 5-10
    minutes.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Configuration Wireless Internet Windows XP