c4rdninj4

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I am running XP Pro on a 500 gig SATA HDD, the 3 dvd drives I've tried are all IDE (tested 1 at a time). The MoBo is an Nvidia c19-A and 4 gigs of RAM with a pentium D processor.

I recently scrubbed some viruses and malware off of my computer, and a few reboots later I was getting the BSOD, I can start up in safemode just fine. I attempted to repair windows by booting from the install disk, but even though my system recognizes each dvd-rom that I've attached at the BIOS splashscreen it won't recognize my xp disk as a bootable disk (or my parents xp disk, or the Ubuntu disk I made earlier). I've also swapped out a couple different IDE cables just to see if the cable had been going bad. All 3 were on the master spot on the cable and had the jumpers set to master when tested.

I uninstalled all new software (the antivirus programs and the firewall) while in safemode and was able to boot normally into windows. And went to set a system restore point but found that a virus had turned off the system restore tab from the system properties dialog box. I followed some steps that had me remove some files that allowed sys restore to be disabled and rebooted on the prompt.

Now I've hit the BSOD again and have run out of ideas.

I had been considering saving up and getting a SATA connection dvd-drive, would a SATA connection make any difference in this case?

c4rdninj4

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I just now booted up into safemode, and saw that I had the tab back for system restore. I couldn't do anything with it in safemode, but I've made some progress.

The BSOD still comes up when I try to start windows normally. the error is "Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS__OR_EQUAL" and then gives me the same hex code each time 0x000000d1 (0xfe5913d0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf74a8a55). If that will mean anything to you guys.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
c4rdninj4