I have a friend's old box with an C2D 2.2 E4500, Mercury PI945GCM mainboard, it has 2gigs of DDR2 667 RAM(2x1), and an 400W OEM PSU and an LG IDE DVD Writer
It came with an Seagate 160GB 7200.10 (SATA) and an SGT 1TB 7200.12 was added a few months back.
The problem is that whenever the files are browsed through in My Computer the system hangs and recovers in a minute or two. Very few times it doesn't recover and it restarts. This issue is more frequent when accessing large files like videos.
Things I have tried so far:
1. formatting the drives and re-installing the OS in either drives.
2. SMART analysis showed me some initial signs of failure like CRC counts, seek time error but nothing alarming. And the health status is a OK.
3. Moreover I plugged them in my system and they run just fine. no issues with large videos, no hangs, etc
4. Since its an old mobo, I changed the jumpers to 1.5 Gbps mode and it resolved a few detection issues during boot. Nothing on the hang issue.
5. There is no IDE/AHCI mode in the BIOS. Four SATA ports are mapped as IDE Channel 1 master, slave and Channel 2 Master, Slave and the Channel 3 for the actual IDE. Switching ports or altering settings in the BIOS doesn't change a thing.
6. Switching PSUs showed no difference again.
There has never been an BSOD or any error thrown by the OS, so I'm guessing the RAM is fine. Should I be running MEMTEST??
I'm guessing the SATA controller is going bad, any idea???
And the system's gpu (7600GS) failed recently. If thats of any use
I noticed the same problem on my tower
it only occurs when there are alot of video thumbnails in a folder
try changing to list or detail view
and also try making more folders for videos and redistributing them for example instead of one folder with 200 videos
use 5 folders with 40 videos
Like I said when one folder has too many thumbnails (video especially)
it seems to glitch
I think it is a Windows 7 glitch but I am not sure
Wouldnt be surprised to see a M$ update to fix it one day LOL