CPU Upgrade not working

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I purchased a used Intel core duo quad Q6600 to replace a E2220 dual core in a HP a6807c tower. PC has a IPIBL-LB mobo and HP support states this CPU is supported. Once installed I got BSOD intermitantly. I tried swapping out PSU so that is good. I tried HP support with their ideas, no good. I cleared CMOS, ran stress tests on CPU and RAM and they all passed. Original OS on PC was Vista 64 which was upgraded to Windows 7 64 while old CPU was installed about 8 months ago. Tried repair install with Windows 7 upgrade disk and I got BSOD or PC froze at about same time (5 minutes into install). When I put old CPU back in PC seemed to work fine. Already tried updating BIOS. No good. Do you think I have to do a clean install or is the CPU bad. I'm just about out of options other than exchanging CPU and hoping for the best.

Solution
it happens on 2 diff pcs, well then test another chip, if the other chip causes no probs then u know whaty the a prob is

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Has anyone noticed an inordinate of BSOD involving the Q6600. Mine seems to get a BSOD in three differtent PC's all on Windows 7. I assume the CPU is bad. Error # 0x00000124. Any other ideas or should I just go for new CPU. Thanks

Jackietools

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
You think W7 is causing the problem. I can try to contact MS but have not seen any other problems related to windows 7. Also one PC was 32 bit and one 64 but same BSOD. It runs for a while on each but same thing happens and CPU is not over 40C*