Bubget upgrade of old PC

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 3, 2010 9:53:10 PM

Hey Toms Hardware

The Mobo on my 5 year old PC got fried so I need help choosing a new one and some other parts possibly to go with it

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within a month

BUDGET RANGE: As little as possibly, max 500$

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, everyday use.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I have most of the parts already, but since its very old I know there will be compatibily issues with newer mobos and CPUs, so the list of what Ive already got is just a guideline, not a final list of what I wont need:
Case wth Micro ATX and ATX support, 7 expansion slots
2x Western Digital Caviar SE S-ATA 250 GB model nr. WD2500JD - 55HBB0
CD/DVD drive with IDE connector
4x1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
400Watts PSU
GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: N/A

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Denmark

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD Athlon II X4, Phenom II, Intel Core 2 Duo or Core I3 and any motherboard that supports one of the afforementioned CPUs, as many of my old Hardware pieces as possible and doesnt break within a year

OVERCLOCKING: no

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: no

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I know I will probably need to change more hardware that just mobo and CPU but I dont wanna spend too much, cause it only has to last for max half a year. The piece of old Hardware that is most important to me is the Hard Drives as I got a lot of important things on them. min 2.6 GHz CPU also.

Thank you

More about : bubget upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 10:09:46 AM

The RAM has got to go : the sun has gone down on DDR2 platforms as all current ones are on DDR3 and yours is DDR @@
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 10:33:08 AM

Once you change the mobo you will need to reformat the HDD even if you keep them, so you need to copy all your info to an external hard drive so that you can transfer it to the new system.

There really is not much to slavage from your system, The Hard drives will be slow, the DVD drive is IDE so could also do with replacing.

You are looking for something like:
AMD Athlon II RANA x3 440
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-ES3
At least 2gb of DDR3 RAM, ideally 4gb for gaming though
500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3
A new PSU, ideally about 500W of decent quality (Corsair, Antec)

That should come within your budget, I would probably keep your GPU because the resolution you play on is so low it should be fine. With no need for a GPU you can hopefully afford the 4gb of RAM.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 11:09:39 AM

I'll give you the links just so that you have an Idea 'bout what I'm talking 'bout. You can buy these from your local Danish online retailers / neighborhood stores.

CPU : Athlon II x4 620

An Athlon II x4 suits you the best in terms of the price / performance ratio, although you may not need a quad for gaming, its just a few bucks more than the Tri core 440. Also I'll go with AM3 ahead of LGA 775. So no C2D for you, & Core i's are expensive for your budget.

MOBO : MSI 785GTM-E45 AM3

RAM : Corsair 2X2Gb DDR2 @ 800

HDD : Seagate Barracuda 500 Gb

ODD : LG DVD Burner. For DVD Burners, stick to LG / Samsung / Sony.

PSU : If available in your country, get a Corsair/Antec ~500 watt, 80+ rated one. (if you're not looking to SLI / Xfire any time soon.

Case : Go with a mid-tower ATX+uATX one with at least 1X120 mm fan, 4X external 5.25", 2X external 3.5", & 5X internal 3.5" drive bays. Also something with side air ducts will be nice.

Monitor : @ your budget, 20" 16:9, at least 50000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 300 cd/m3, 5 m/s refresh rate. Below these specs, the screen will look a bit washed out, & fast moving objects will leave a trail behind. (you can always go up depending on your budget).
August 4, 2010 1:31:38 PM

hey everyone, ive been looking at your replies and have found some stuff that should be good but I have one question: All of the newer good quality PSUs only have 6-pin PCI-e power connecters, and my current GPU needs a 4-pin PCI-e connector. Can I plug a 6-pin connector in it and get it to work fine ?
!