Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0 Possible Recovery?

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2012 11:32:56 AM

Hello everyone, new here. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't seem to find a thread that covered my problem exactly.

I have a powerful machine with an Intel i7 eXtreme with RAID 0 (more specs can be provided on request). The PC was working fine booting into Vista perfectly. I took the drives out to keep my data secure when I went on holiday, thinking the RAID would be recoverable when I put it back into my machine after I came back.

The drives were not damaged or dropped in any way, yet when I put the drives back in my machine after holiday. The RAID boot fails. One drive is recognized as a RAID member, however the other drive is recognized as a regular drive.

The data is rather important... I have tried BartPE to boot from to see if I can get my data off but I get a blue screen, even with the Mass Storage driver installed on the BartPE disc. I'm really out of ideas now and would love if someone could shed some light on the questions I have:

1. Is the RAID recoverable without data loss?
2. Can putting RAID drives in the machine in the wrong way the first time destroy the RAID permanently, even so that even when the drives are then put back in the correct order, the RAID still does not boot?
3. If someone had tried to boot/power on the drives while I was away on another machine, could this have destroyed the RAID?
4. Why has only ONE half of the RAID array failed?
5. Is the data recoverable in any way (even if, money was no object)?

It would be a disaster shame to lose all of the data it was on! I really need some advice on this situation!

Kind regards

Mike

More about : raid recovery

October 24, 2012 11:38:49 AM

Never had exactly that problem, but normally in raid 0, you lose one disk, you lose all the data. There's no way to recover it. Backups are extremely important with Raid 0 for that reason.

It shouldn't matter what order the discs are in. My guess is that raid setup is not seeing one drive as a raid drive. Go into raid setup and see if you configure both drives and raid 0 and hopefully nothing is lost.
October 24, 2012 11:55:10 AM

Thank you for your fast response.

I completely agree with you about RAID 0, it's claimed as being 'unrecoverable.' But when you say the data is definitely lost, I feel skeptical. The data is still on the drive somewhere, the drive has not been formatted. So the actual, physical data must still be there, correct? You here stories of police taking hard drives away from crime scenes... if data was really that hard to recover surely they wouldn't do this?

The RAID setup is quite simple and basic, I don't have the option to configure one drive, I can only reset the whole RAID. Which prompts me that I will lose all the data.

I still don't understand how the RAID has even been destroyed... is RAID 0 really that sensitive?

Thanks

Mike
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 24, 2012 12:28:14 PM

You can use a program called raid reconstruct or from runtime to recover the data. You may want to rethink using a raid 0 for important data that's not regularly backed up. If a drive had failed data recovery would be expensive.
October 30, 2012 3:06:54 PM

Thank you very much for your reply.

I am just trying this now.

Kind regards

Mike
October 31, 2012 5:36:58 AM

Hello Mike,

I have quite a bit of experience with RAID 0, and I have faced a similar issue. The challenge with RAID 0 is that the data is stripped across your 2 physical drives, which essentially means that half of your data is on one disk and the other half is on the other disk (half / half probably isn't technically correct, the percentage probably varies, however you understand the concept!).

Of course the two halves can't "just be put back together", it is not like having a sentence such as "**** where has my data gone" and analogically saying that "**** has data" is on disk one, and "where my gone" is on disk 2. Instead the information is stored the only way that computers "know how", in binary or 1's & 0's, and once the array is damaged the "map" or "index" that looks up your data is damaged as well.

Cutting a long story short I don't believe that there is anyway you will be able to recover your data. However if you prove me wrong, e.g.: with the RAID Reconstructor Program mentioned in an earlier reply please let me know.

I found it very important to label the drives, and drive cables when removing disks from RAID arrays (particularly RAID 0), as in my experience the disks / motherboard are very particular about having the correct order. It wouldn't surprise me if re-inserting the wrong way around destroyed your original array, though I can't say that I have experienced this exact issue.

Final word, be very very careful when working with RAID 0 arrays, and as previously stated backup backup & backup again.

Good luck.

Regards,

Davo
!