Centrino vs. P4

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 11:49:23 AM

I'm looking for a new laptop and I'm told by many that a 1.7 (or whatever)
Centrino will give me more power than a 3.2 (or whatever) P4. Is this true,
or can someone point me to some information about this?

what gives the best price/performance? AMD? P4? Centrino?

thanks for any help....

More about : centrino

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 9:06:15 PM

"Dennis Herrick" <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote in message
news:p S1pd.46$iq3.13@fe06.lga...
| I'm looking for a new laptop and I'm told by many that a 1.7 (or whatever)
| Centrino will give me more power than a 3.2 (or whatever) P4. Is this
true,
| or can someone point me to some information about this?
|
| what gives the best price/performance? AMD? P4? Centrino?
|
| thanks for any help....

Best bang for the buck, A64. You can only expect 2.5-3hours battery time
out of the mainstream mobile A64 processors though. If you need more battery
than that, look towards a Dothan based pentium-m. Forget the P4 completely.
November 25, 2004 9:16:59 AM

Dennis Herrick <herrickd@huntingdon.edu> wrote:
: I'm looking for a new laptop and I'm told by many that a 1.7 (or whatever)
: Centrino will give me more power than a 3.2 (or whatever) P4. Is this true,
: or can someone point me to some information about this?

: what gives the best price/performance? AMD? P4? Centrino?

It sounds like the AMD 64-bit might give you the best
price/performance ratio if you run software that is optimized for it.
Next would be P4, then Pentium M. FYI, "Centrino" is the name of the
notebook package that includes the Pentium M, a wireless card, and a
chipset. Technically "Centrino" is not a CPU - you mean "Pentium M."

But, you were told basically right: the 1.7GHZ Pentium M CPU should
be roughly as fast as a 3.2GHZ P4, give or take a little, plus it may
depend on what kind of software you are running. These two CPUs are
designed very differently.

Pentium M is better because it is far more power efficient than
Pentium 4 so battery life will be better and heat issues reduced, the
notebook will probably weigh less, etc.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Mate, let me give you advice: don't listen to people and has little knowlege
and do your search.

Like here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gmso&pag....
Tested on real application and see if P-M is so much better then P4 or not
really.

But one can still believe that more bucks for Centrino will give more
performence and 1.7 P-M can much 3.2 P4.

I dont believe in fairly tells neither marketing.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 27, 2004 2:03:15 AM

Krystian Polak <krpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> Mate, let me give you advice: don't listen to people and has little
> knowlege and do your search.
>
> Like here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gmso&pag....
> Tested on real application and see if P-M is so much better then P4
> or not really.

Did you read ALL of the article? Or just the benchmarks?

From Page 10, The Final Word: "Performance wise, there is no clear winner
throughout our various sets of benchmarks."

"This brings us to the Intel’s Pentium-M (Dothan) processors, which in our
opinion continue to be the best overall mobile chips on the market. While
the Athlon64 and Pentium 4 models for the most part can beat the high-end
Pentium-M 755 in benchmarks, the difference is surprisingly small
considering the huge architectural differences between these notebooks. With
a fairly slow FSB and an aging memory controller, the Pentium-M’s are still
able to hold their own and give performance when it’s needed. The huge 2MB
cache of the chips makes applications and games quite smooth, and the fact
that these notebooks create such little heat and consume so little power
makes it a very attractive package. We’re willing to take a small
performance hit in order to get the low-power and long-battery life benefits
of the Centrino architecture. Judging by the response we’ve seen thus far to
the new Pentium-M processors, a lot of our readers feel similar to us in
this regard."

Thanks, but I'll keep my PentiumM based laptop and it's almost 9 hours of
runtime on battery. Just think of all the work I'll get done, even slowly,
while everyone else is busily engaged is finding an outlet in order to keep
their P4, P4M or AMD based units running.

--
Regards,

James

November 27, 2004 6:07:35 AM

9 hours?? Is that with two batterys? What do you have that lasts that long?

Bob

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> Krystian Polak <krpolak@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> > Mate, let me give you advice: don't listen to people and has little
> > knowlege and do your search.
> >
> > Like here: http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=gmso&pag....
> > Tested on real application and see if P-M is so much better then P4
> > or not really.
>
> Did you read ALL of the article? Or just the benchmarks?
>
> From Page 10, The Final Word: "Performance wise, there is no clear winner
> throughout our various sets of benchmarks."
>
> "This brings us to the Intel's Pentium-M (Dothan) processors, which in our
> opinion continue to be the best overall mobile chips on the market. While
> the Athlon64 and Pentium 4 models for the most part can beat the high-end
> Pentium-M 755 in benchmarks, the difference is surprisingly small
> considering the huge architectural differences between these notebooks.
With
> a fairly slow FSB and an aging memory controller, the Pentium-M's are
still
> able to hold their own and give performance when it's needed. The huge 2MB
> cache of the chips makes applications and games quite smooth, and the fact
> that these notebooks create such little heat and consume so little power
> makes it a very attractive package. We're willing to take a small
> performance hit in order to get the low-power and long-battery life
benefits
> of the Centrino architecture. Judging by the response we've seen thus far
> the new Pentium-M processors, a lot of our readers feel similar to us in
> this regard."
>
> Thanks, but I'll keep my PentiumM based laptop and it's almost 9 hours of
> runtime on battery. Just think of all the work I'll get done, even slowly,
> while everyone else is busily engaged is finding an outlet in order to
keep
> their P4, P4M or AMD based units running.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 27, 2004 2:05:39 PM

> From Page 10, The Final Word: "Performance wise, there is no clear winner
> throughout our various sets of benchmarks."

Read between lines.

Of course there was 'no clear winner', because they use benchmark software,
which in my opinion is worth nothing.

As I said, see results in real application and real conditions. You will not
work with SiSoft Sandra, will you?

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 27, 2004 4:31:54 PM

Krystian Polak wrote:
> Of course there was 'no clear winner', because they use benchmark software,
> which in my opinion is worth nothing.
>
> As I said, see results in real application and real conditions. You will not
> work with SiSoft Sandra, will you?

True! I'd like to see a Centrino running a full blown version of Visual
Studio 2003/2005 while running emule, WinAMP, Firefox (some 5 tabs
open), Thunderbird and the IE window you always need since there are
still webdevelopers around (check-out Compaq(HP) website) that are so
incompetent to still not be able to make a Gecko compatible website!

Lorenzo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 27, 2004 4:36:43 PM

> Thanks, but I'll keep my PentiumM based laptop and it's almost 9 hours of
> runtime on battery.

I have forgoten say this one think.

The choise will depend on usege. I don't care about short battery time an I
need power, so I choose P4. You don't need power and need mobility, you
choose P-M. That is all. Trick is to find the best tool for a task. You
cannot use truck for racing and you cannot use racing car for moving.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 2, 2004 11:00:47 PM

Bob <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote:
> 9 hours?? Is that with two batterys? What do you have that lasts that
> long?

Yes, 9 hours on a Thinkpad T40 (PentiumM 1.5GHz, 1.5GB RAM, 7K60 HD) with
both the extended life 9 cell battery and the optional UltrabaySlim battery.

--
Regards,

James