Kodak Easyshare DX 4530

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 25, 2004 11:53:09 PM

Back in June we got a Kodak Easyshare DX 4530 digital camera for our
dad. He really likes the camera a lot so for Christmas we decided to
get him the printer dock to go along with it. Unfortunately on
Christmas, after unwrapping the box, he saw that it said works with
series CX 6000-7000, DX 6000-7000, and LS 600-700...ie not compatible
with the DX4530. I looked online and it appears that the compatible
printer dock (4000) is discontinued.

Anyone know what the deal is? It seems that the 4530 is still being
sold, but that there's no compatible printer dock. Will the 4530 work
with the 6000 EasyShare printer dock? Another post I saw eluded to the
4530 working with the 6000 printer dock. I hate to go through the
hassle of returning it, if it's the correct one for the camera.
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

More about : kodak easyshare 4530

Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:27:26 PM

cwells3@aol.com wrote:

> Back in June we got a Kodak Easyshare DX 4530 digital camera for our
> dad. He really likes the camera a lot so for Christmas we decided to
> get him the printer dock to go along with it. Unfortunately on
> Christmas, after unwrapping the box, he saw that it said works with
> series CX 6000-7000, DX 6000-7000, and LS 600-700...ie not compatible
> with the DX4530. I looked online and it appears that the compatible
> printer dock (4000) is discontinued.
>
> Anyone know what the deal is? It seems that the 4530 is still being
> sold, but that there's no compatible printer dock. Will the 4530 work
> with the 6000 EasyShare printer dock? Another post I saw eluded to the
> 4530 working with the 6000 printer dock. I hate to go through the
> hassle of returning it, if it's the correct one for the camera.
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris, I'm in a similar spot, having bought my parents a CX-4300 about a
year and a half ago, and now wanting to get them the accompanying
Printer Dock 4000 (although I DIDN'T make the mistake of running out and
buying the wrong one first!). I'm kicking myself now, actually, since I
did a search on eBay back in November and found an online seller with a
number of them going at a "BuyNow" price of around US$150, and I passed
it up at the time... now the only ones left are open auctions and most
end up going for more than the damn things cost originally at retail.

I've checked with every retailer in town that used to carry them and
nobody has any left; one place told me they were only officially
discontinued in July and that they only stopped receiving them a couple
months ago, but apparently they're a hot item.

Seeing as I can get a brand-new Kodak 5.0MP camera and Printer Dock
package at Costco for CDN$420 (other retailers have similar Canon and HP
camera/printer-dock bundles), paying upwards of $350+ for a second-hand
dock that originally sold for $299, to go with a 3.2MP camera, seems
kind of ridiculous.

If you find a good source online, do let me know...
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 12:10:25 AM

cwells3@aol.com wrote in news:1104036789.009518.155630
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Anyone know what the deal is? It seems that the 4530 is still being
> sold, but that there's no compatible printer dock. Will the 4530 work
> with the 6000 EasyShare printer dock? Another post I saw eluded to the
> 4530 working with the 6000 printer dock.

My printer dock is a 6000 but the following should hold true for the
4000.

Kodak sells both a dock and a printer dock which is a printer with a dock
on top.

The printer part of the printer dock should let you print any photos from
any application on the computer. I've printed scans of old photos and
internet downloads from various applications without problems. It's just
a printer with a printer driver. The dock portion is used to charge the
camera, easily transfer pictures to the computer, run slide shows on T.V.
from the memory card and print directly without transferring the pictures
to the computer. You can do all theses things, with the exception of the
last one, without the dock and I assume they have already been done since
the camera has been in use since June.

If you just want a good dye transfer printer it should work. If the dock
features are important then you are out of luck.

One word of warning. The printer seems to be overly sensitive to the
amount of paper in the tray and will give a lot of "out of paper"
messages. You need to experiment to find the right amount of paper to
load. It's not much of a problem for me since I use an internet service
for large print jobs (much more cost effective) but I love the printer
for those occasional shots that have to be printed immediately.

> I hate to go through the
> hassle of returning it, if it's the correct one for the camera.
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

January 3, 2005 9:21:51 PM

Greetings Chris,

I am afraid that the Dock 4000 that is compatible with your Fathers camera
is discontinued. Also the Dock 6000 not compatible with the DX4530 model
camera. You may want to take advantage of the return time you have from the
retailer that sold you the Printer Dock. Kodak does sell a Printer Dock
Plus that lets you print without a computer from any of these digital
devices.

KODAK EasyShare Digital Cameras (CX-DX 6000/7000 or LS 600/700
Your cell phone camera or PDA as the Printer Dock Plus is Wireless Enabled
Any PictBridge-enabled digital camera
SD/MMC cards using the built-in SD/MMC card slot
Popular memory card formats with the Optional KODAK 8in1 Card Reader
And you can of course print with a computer - it's simple.

Check this printer out on our site as a possible alternative. Of course,
you can also connect the Printer Dock 6000 to a computer to print directly
as well. But the extra features noted as well as the speed make the Printer
Dock Plus an advantage.

If you have continued questions about this or the Printer Docks in question,
let me know. I am here for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<cwells3@aol.com> wrote in message
> Back in June we got a Kodak Easyshare DX 4530 digital camera for our
> dad. He really likes the camera a lot so for Christmas we decided to
> get him the printer dock to go along with it. Unfortunately on
> Christmas, after unwrapping the box, he saw that it said works with
> series CX 6000-7000, DX 6000-7000, and LS 600-700...ie not compatible
> with the DX4530. I looked online and it appears that the compatible
> printer dock (4000) is discontinued.
>
> Anyone know what the deal is? It seems that the 4530 is still being
> sold, but that there's no compatible printer dock. Will the 4530 work
> with the 6000 EasyShare printer dock? Another post I saw eluded to the
> 4530 working with the 6000 printer dock. I hate to go through the
> hassle of returning it, if it's the correct one for the camera.
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 10:20:47 PM

Thanks for the info. I actually called Kodak's service line and was
told the printer was discontinued the month after I bought the camera.
Shifty if you ask me. If I'd known that was going to happen, I'd have
upgraded on the camera (which I actually think I paid more for than the
current model, ugh). The only reason I was looking at the printer dock
was becuase it had the charging dock feature included. We ended up
returning the Kodak printer and going with a HP photo printer with
several card slot options.

It's a really nice camera and he loves it. Doesn't seem that much
different than the current model being pushed. I'm a bit perplexed.
It's just a shame the retailer wasn't upfront and/or informed about the
discontinuation.

Thanks for your help,

Chris
!