Your question
Solved

$800 gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
August 3, 2010 10:26:01 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: $800 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (specifically, WoW), internet, general use

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would really prefer an nVidia GPU.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I put together a wish list on Newegg, and I want to be sure that everything looks okay. I've selected the parts that I have because everything (except for the optical drive) is on sale either through email promotions or combo deals and the setup comes to about $768 after shipping and all discounts.

$800 Build

Further, Newegg right now has a shell shocker on an Antec PSU. I am wondering if it will power my rig, and if it's a good PSU, or if the Corsair is better:

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The PSU is just $29.99 after a $20 MIR.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

EDIT: I'm also looking for advice about the GPU. I know it's an older generation card so I'm wondering how it handles. I really wanted to get an eVGA 460 1 GB but it pushes my budget a little higher than I'd like.

More about : 800 gaming rig

Best solution

August 3, 2010 11:25:06 PM
Anonymous
August 4, 2010 1:54:22 AM

I definitely like that I'm getting a better CPU + GPU + Mobo there, but I'm not sure about the PSU. I had a bad experience with an OCZ PSU in the past and I was aiming elsewhere if possible. The Corsair I have in my build is on sale right now for just $59.99 after MIR. I may try to work it in there somewhere.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?
Related resources
August 4, 2010 2:49:17 AM

That antec shell shocker will work fine for a build with 1 GTX460 and phenom. You should combo it with that Antec twohundred case = both for $50 after rebates... since you're on a budget, thats a good start.

I'd follow the above build for the rest of it - will come out to arond $700 after rebates with the above parts plus the Antec case/PSU combo for 50bucks
August 4, 2010 10:05:34 AM

+1
also i think u had one of ocz's old psu's which where very bad cut nowdays theyvery high quality.
Anonymous
August 4, 2010 1:05:56 PM

Okay, after sleeping on it and reading some reviews, I've warmed up to the OCZ PSU. The one I had that gave me some trouble was an OCZ ModXZStream... 2 DOA units. The only change I'm thinking is I may switch out the case you suggested for the Storm Scout just because I really like that one. We'll see.

Thanks for all of your help.
Anonymous
August 4, 2010 1:09:48 PM

Best answer selected by striker1064.
!