Solved

$800 gaming rig

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week

BUDGET RANGE: $800 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (specifically, WoW), internet, general use

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Amazon

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would really prefer an nVidia GPU.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I put together a wish list on Newegg, and I want to be sure that everything looks okay. I've selected the parts that I have because everything (except for the optical drive) is on sale either through email promotions or combo deals and the setup comes to about $768 after shipping and all discounts.

$800 Build

Further, Newegg right now has a shell shocker on an Antec PSU. I am wondering if it will power my rig, and if it's a good PSU, or if the Corsair is better:

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

The PSU is just $29.99 after a $20 MIR.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

EDIT: I'm also looking for advice about the GPU. I know it's an older generation card so I'm wondering how it handles. I really wanted to get an eVGA 460 1 GB but it pushes my budget a little higher than I'd like.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming
  1. Best answer
  2. I definitely like that I'm getting a better CPU + GPU + Mobo there, but I'm not sure about the PSU. I had a bad experience with an OCZ PSU in the past and I was aiming elsewhere if possible. The Corsair I have in my build is on sale right now for just $59.99 after MIR. I may try to work it in there somewhere.

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?
  3. That antec shell shocker will work fine for a build with 1 GTX460 and phenom. You should combo it with that Antec twohundred case = both for $50 after rebates... since you're on a budget, thats a good start.

I'd follow the above build for the rest of it - will come out to arond $700 after rebates with the above parts plus the Antec case/PSU combo for 50bucks
  4. +1
    also i think u had one of ocz's old psu's which where very bad cut nowdays theyvery high quality.
  5. Okay, after sleeping on it and reading some reviews, I've warmed up to the OCZ PSU. The one I had that gave me some trouble was an OCZ ModXZStream... 2 DOA units. The only change I'm thinking is I may switch out the case you suggested for the Storm Scout just because I really like that one. We'll see.

Thanks for all of your help.
  6. Best answer selected by striker1064.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product