BEST MOTHERBOARD

beauhawk618

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I'm building a system (first one) and I don't know much about motherboards. I am reading a lot of reviews, but am completely confused about which to choose. I don't game much, but would like to be able to. I do video editing, and graphic designing. Any suggestions?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Generally speaking and to a certain extant the mobo does not really matter,,what really matters is the graphics card and the power supply,,the real difference between a less costly mobo generally are the features and [ this IS important is the power management or phases],,,the more costly mobo's will have better power management and other features, as in more connectivity for other internal and external devices, furthermore a good gaming setup will also be a fairly good platform for your needs...:)

beauhawk618

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
well I've already got a Corsair TX650 which I figure is a decent middle of the road power supply. Other than that, I plan on getting a fairly good graphics card. Right now I'm looking at a z68 mobo, but they seem pretty new, and there aren't many reviews out on them yet. So, I was just wondering if anyone had some good advice on which chipset to go with for a novice. Thanks for your advice.

im a firm believer in buying a quality motherboard. a good board will have less variation in current distribution from the manufacturing specification.
build quality is very important in the boards ability to overclock and be stable. in this respect its quite important.
features are also important if you need it for specific tasking.
as you want video editing and gfx rendering you want something like the the z68 and a 2600k, or an am3+ and fast 3ghz+ phenom II hexacore.
personaly i would recomend gigabyte, asus and msi

look here for asus's latest offering http://www.asus.com/News/eBmtlB3WXTWFvcdj/ look at the boards feature set and see if it suites your needs.

you may also want to look here at this comparison http://techreport.com/articles.x/20911

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
We'd need an idea of your budget, for starters. Also, have you read the guidance on asking for advice on a new build?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-advice

Generally, it would be better to select the processor you want first. For video-editing, the i7-2600K is a good choice. If you're not bothered about over-clocking, possibly go for the i7-2600. You can select your motherboard from that point. Graphics card will follow. You'll want a decent amount of RAM...16GB maybe? Again, it's budget-dependant. Your PSU is decent and shouldn't have any issues running a gaming / video-editing system.

beauhawk618

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
We'd need an idea of your budget, for starters. Also, have you read the guidance on asking for advice on a new build?

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261222-13-build-advice

Generally, it would be better to select the processor you want first. For video-editing, the i7-2600K is a good choice. If you're not bothered about over-clocking, possibly go for the i7-2600. You can select your motherboard from that point. Graphics card will follow. You'll want a decent amount of RAM...16GB maybe? Again, it's budget-dependant. Your PSU is decent and shouldn't have any issues running a gaming / video-editing system.

I looked at the guidance for a new build, and I think I can work my way through most of the options, but as I said, I was mostly unsure of the motherboard/cpu options. It makes sense to buy both so that they work together. Anyway, my budget is about $1000 for drives, memory, CPU, and peripheral components. So, I have quite a bit of flex room.

Also what is the difference between say a core i7 - 2600 and the core i7 - 950 besides price? I see that the 950 is built for 1366 socket, and the 2600 is built for the 1155. Is that basically a difference of 1st and 2nd generation models?

Thanks for all the help so far.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
the core i7 - 950 is the previous generation

they both use differnet socket types

i7 - 2600 = socket 1155 (sandy bridge)
i7 - 950 = socket 1366

the core i7 - 2600 is supposed to be a lot faster than the i7 950 esspecially in games

personally all i think you will need is

cpu i7 2600 = $299 (dont get the i7 2600k unless you are going to overclock it)
motherboard - theres is not a bad assus one on amazon for $103 - ASUS P8H67-M LE

ram - you can get 8gb ddr3 Corsair XMS3 for $80
graphics card -
hard drive - a 1/2tb hard drive make sure to get a recomended brand like western
under $70
dvd drive (unless you allready have one) - you can get one for under $30
pc case - under $60 (id recomend antec 300)

if you dont overclock you should be able to get away with stock cooling, maybe a few extra fans in case if you wanted to though

thats $540 leaving 460 for psu,gpu and periferals

TRENDING THREADS