No sound after Graphics Card added

Sglo00000224

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Hello,I have an old, stock, out-of-the-box Compaq S6300NX. Loaded Windows 7 onto it & lost sound. Got that to work, but added a NVIDIA 6200 AGP graphics card, again, no sound. Anybody have any easy solutions to this problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

thphaca

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Judging by this amazon review here...

They usually only come with 250W Power Supplies. They have no case fans in them. And it you try and put any case fans in them, the power supply really isn't powerful enough to handle it (plus, you'll have to buy extention adaptors to add them in - since there are no open sockets on the power supply).

I'm guessing the PSU simply wasn't powerful enough. It's a common case among prebuilt PCs, especially Compaq (they're almost as bad as eMachines, but luckily not worse IMO)

On the other hand, since the sound is likely integrated (is it?) I would expect more problems to follow from insuffiecient power, but I guess the mobo will still function partially under that condition.

If you remove the video card again, does the sound come back?

Did you check Device Manager to see if the sound card is seen?

If your issue is a low powered power supply I do not think you would see just no sound, you'd have random crashes as well, or the graphics would get messed up. Looks like the problem is somewhere else.

Sglo00000224

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010

I haven't unplugged the graphics card, but the Device Manager sees the sound card & says my drivers are up to date. I have a new power supply that is more than adequate. I'll try to unplug the graphics card tonight & see if the sound comes back