Thinkpad 770ED clean install

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
November 24, 2004 12:31:34 PM

I got a used Thinkpad 770ED cluttered with things I don't need
(networking stuff, etc.). I would like to just reformat the c: drive
and install only the apps I need (and Win 98).
If I reformat the c: drive won't this wipe out all the proprietary
factory installed drivers like for the modem, sound, video etc. ? Do
you need some sort of factory boot disk that has all this stuff on it
before reformatting and isntalling the operating system ?
Thanks.

Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 8:42:12 PM

"bob" <bcarwell@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
|I got a used Thinkpad 770ED cluttered with things I don't need
| (networking stuff, etc.). I would like to just reformat the c: drive
| and install only the apps I need (and Win 98).
| If I reformat the c: drive won't this wipe out all the proprietary
| factory installed drivers like for the modem, sound, video etc. ? Do
| you need some sort of factory boot disk that has all this stuff on it
| before reformatting and isntalling the operating system ?
| Thanks.
|
| Bob

Hi Bob -

Yes. You wipe away everything from the partition when you reformat.

If you have access to another machine with a burner, in advance of your
format go to IBM's website and download all of the drivers for your computer
and put them on a CD for installation after you install Windows 98.

Jef
November 24, 2004 9:25:07 PM

"Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<UJ3pd.49143$QJ3.5605@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...
> "bob" <bcarwell@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> |I got a used Thinkpad 770ED cluttered with things I don't need
> | (networking stuff, etc.). I would like to just reformat the c: drive
> | and install only the apps I need (and Win 98).
> | If I reformat the c: drive won't this wipe out all the proprietary
> | factory installed drivers like for the modem, sound, video etc. ? Do
> | you need some sort of factory boot disk that has all this stuff on it
> | before reformatting and isntalling the operating system ?
> | Thanks.
> |
> | Bob
>

> Hi Bob -
>
> Yes. You wipe away everything from the partition when you reformat.
>
> If you have access to another machine with a burner, in advance of your
> format go to IBM's website and download all of the drivers for your computer
> and put them on a CD for installation after you install Windows 98.
>
> Jef

Thanks for the prompt response Jef ! Is there a cicuitous Catch
22, like reformatting the c: drive destroying anything (mscdex, etc.)
required to make the cdrom, diskette, or video drivers work such that
I won't have the capability to run the CD, install Win 98 or anything
else required for the machine to function ? Or do those drivers have
only to do with modems,sound cards, etc. I can fix later ?- Bob
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 5:54:27 AM

| Thanks for the prompt response Jef ! Is there a cicuitous Catch
| 22, like reformatting the c: drive destroying anything (mscdex, etc.)
| required to make the cdrom, diskette, or video drivers work such that
| I won't have the capability to run the CD, install Win 98 or anything
| else required for the machine to function ? Or do those drivers have
| only to do with modems,sound cards, etc. I can fix later ?- Bob

Hi Bob -

Make a Windows 98 Boot Diskette in advance of your format/clean install.

Boot with this diskette, choose the option to boot with CD-ROM support and
ensure that you can read your Windows 98 CD-ROM before you partition and/or
format the hard disk.

The boot disk will load the CD-ROM driver in Config.sys and Autoexec.bat
(Mscdex.exe, etc.).

With a working Windows 98 Boot Diskette you'll have basic video, diskette
and CD-ROM support -- as well as all of the tools to partition (Fdisk.exe)
and Format (Format.exe) your hard drive prior to installing Windows 98. The
Boot Diskette will place many of the utilities in a memory area called a RAM
Disk (because everything needed doesn't fit on a single diskette and
compressed copies of several of the utilities are expanded into memory).

On the IBM website, download all of the device drivers and utilities listed
for your computer which are described as being for Windows 98 (many will
also list that they support Windows 95 and Windows ME). You'll need all of
these drivers and may wish to have many of the utilities once you get
Windows 98 installed, as you probably won't have a working modem and you'll
have very basic video, etc.

Additionally, many of the IBM utilities are useful for features such as
Advanced Power Management.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 5:11:32 PM

Jef Norton <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Make a Windows 98 Boot Diskette in advance of your format/clean
> install.
>
> Boot with this diskette, choose the option to boot with CD-ROM
> support and ensure that you can read your Windows 98 CD-ROM before
> you partition and/or format the hard disk.

Unnecessary as the 770E supports BOOT from a CD in BIOS.

The rest of Jef's advice is golden.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 6:37:48 PM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
news:o Klpd.9175$ld2.9079@trnddc05...

| Unnecessary as the 770E supports BOOT from a CD in BIOS.
|
| The rest of Jef's advice is golden.
|
| --
| Regards,
|
| James
|
| Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

Hi James -

I agree. Except not all Windows 98 CD's are bootable. All retail
(Microsoft-issued) Windows 98/98SE Upgrade Edition CDs I've worked with are
not bootable. Some OEM CDs have been. I've never worked with a retail Full
Edition CD, so I cannot comment there.

Jef
!