XFX 5850 reference cooler vs custom cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150442

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150477&cm_re=xfx_5850-_-14-150-477-_-Product

XFX 5850
Stock reference cooler vs XFX custom cooler

The later probably cools better, but I've heard that the better coolers often use cheaper PCBs/parts, so you end up with the same overclocking potential. I assume the later will be quieter too right?

My friend is planning to get a 5850 and can't decide which one to choose. I'm not too familar with different coolers either in particular...

Which one will be better?

He can get the first one for $260ish, and the 2nd one for $20 more at $280. Is the better cooler worth the $20 - is the less noise/less heat significant?

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Everyone,

Apparently I am in the same boat as the OP. Im in the market for a 5870, the 2 I'm eyeballing are the

587A-ZND9 (Reference cooler)
587X-ZNDC (Custom cooler)

Per the responses on this thread, it seems you all favor the reference cooler. I called XFX support/CS and they state that the ZND9 is being phased out for the ZNDC. I cannot find the ZND9 anywhere, so my question is, if I get the ZNDC, will I still be in good shape? I really want the ZND9 but I waited too long to cough up the cash and now its unavailable. Please advise. Thanks in advance

btw, please pardon my ignorance but what does PCB stand for and how vital is this to a GPU?

Well if you want to be able to up the voltage for the best overclock you will need the reference design from XFX.
Honestly I would just get an HD5850. They both tend to OC to the same levels. The HD5870 does have 10% more shaders but from the numbers I've seen when you fully OC both cards the actual performance difference tends to be 5-8%. Considering the $100 price difference that just isn't worth it imo but it's up to you.
If you do go for an HD5850 grab an Asus DirectCU version of the card. Here is a review;
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1273/1/

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Jyjjy,

Thanks for the response. My intentions are to buy the XXX version and just leave it be, basically be content with the Factory OC. Im just mad at myself for taking too long and I cannot find the ZND9 anywhere, Im just really concerned about the fan in the middle design. I do not know much about it and I don't understand why XFX would change the design.

One other thing, Im pretty stubborn, I see your point concerning the 5850, but I have my mind set on a 5870, (I wish I could afford the 5970) as well as XFX for the lifetime warranty.

The non-reference card is fine then. We aren't really discussing the coolers so much as what they indicate about the underlying card. You only need the reference design for voltage modifications. If you aren't overclocking yourself then it doesn't matter at all.
That said paying extra for a factory overclocked card is really not something I would recommend. I'm sure a higher overclock than the factory one can easily and safely be achieved on even the cheaper card without any need to raise the voltage.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Thanks Jyjjy,

Im even aggravated with XFX for phasing out the ZNF9 for the ZNFC.

right now Newegg has the ZNFC for 389.99 and a free game (AVP), I thought about getting the ZNFC and OCing it to ZNDC stats but since its the custom cooler then the Voltage Mods aren't present so that wipes that route, which lead me to decide to possibly getting the ZNDC and leave it be...

but now we have ANOTHER twist.. the Sapphire Vapor-X... just read a review and the cooling on it is impressive.. so your thoughts.

Vapor-X vs ZNDC, which would you prefer?

Get a DirectCU, with Bing cash back you can get it for 299.99$. You will have voltage control, low temps even when heavily overvolted, you can match/surpass 5870 speeds and a 3 year warranty. I guess what Im trying to say is that unless your pockets are fat you should try to get the most bang for buck deal.

If you are not going to touch the clocks then go with whatever you feel is best...

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

DirectCU? I've never head of that brand. however I will try to do the bing cash back, keep in mind it ends July 30th

but between the 5870 Vapor-X and the XFX ZNDC, which would you pick?

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

AHH.. got confused. its the Asus.. ok

Actually I'm not that kind. The next card I buy will be it for a while, so from what you say get the ZNDC for the long haul right?

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
What about a 470 for 299.99? :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127501&Tpk=MSI%20GTX%20470'

Your avatar is why I'm not getting any Fermi cards.. I hear they draw too much power and produce too much heat and doesn't WOW out the ATI cards for the price.

XFX and BFGTech's refusal to make and sell them tells a lot.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
BFG went out of business :lol: Explain why EVGA only makes Nvidia stuff if ATI is that great? :lol:

Power consumption is not that crazy as most make it out to be. A 470 system pulls 62 more watts then a 5850 rig.

http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww252/2MCHBoost/powa.png

BFG's CEO stated in an article that the latest chipsets from NV were not that profitable...

As far as EVGA, they've never made ATI Cards before so I guess they just stuck with the exclusive partnership with NV.

it seems there are more negative feeback concerning NV's cards than ATIs, and besides, I want a 3 monitor set up and its less expensive to go the ATI route rather than NV.

I will never understand why NV didn't include display ports on their cards like ATI does.

So if you were to pick between the Vapor-X or the ZNDC, which one would you select.?

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Whichever one has Voltage control bro. :lol:

THIS one as it's a reference and has voltage control.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10011258

Thanks for the link, however I don't think either the Vapor-X nor the ZNDC have the Voltage control. I just want to get an OC version out of the box and leave it be...

and Im being pretty stubborn, I want a 5870.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Why the hell did i link a 5850. :lol:

All 5870's with the reference cooler will have voltage control. The ones with the center mounted fans do not.

LOLOL!! why did you!!?? all good.

I agree. I've learned alot in the past week from some of the articles and this thread.. The ZND9 was the card I wanted, however XFX phased it out for the ZNDC

ZND9 = reference cooler and hard to find now..
ZNDC = fan in the middle.

my thoughts were, if Im going to settle for a fan in the middle card, I might as well get the Vapor-X since it cools better.

so if you had to pick physcho, which would you go with?

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I swore after the 5830 debacle with no voltage control that i would never ever buy another ATI card without it so i would go with the ZND9.

Psycho, wait wait wait.. I misstyped.

The ZND9 is hard to find and its being phased out for the ZNDC..

I meant to type if you had to choose between the ZNDC and the Sapphire Vapor-X, which one would you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.