HDD or Motherboard sata broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jevan1000

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I'm having some troubles with my computer recently it started acting up so I replaced the PSU and it seemed to fix the problem but now my DVD drive and HDD don't work, when I boot up my computer it says something around the lines of it can't boot cause there is no device to boot from I enter bios and everything seems to show up correctly CPU, RAM, GPU appears to be fine everything looks solid except DVD drive and HDD they doesn't show up I've tried un-plugging and plugging back in but it's still the same problem I'm not sure if my motherboard Sata connectors are bad they look fine and used to work on my old PSU, it could be the HDD and DVD drive went bad when PSU went out I'm not really sure the strange thing is that the DVD drive opens up when computer is on if I click the button so I know it's getting power not really sure what's going on but I hope it's not the motherboard cause I really don't wanna replace it, later today I'm going to try another HDD and see if its the motherboard or HDD, on a side note I was wondering if my PSU could screw up my other 4 sata ports not in use?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

Since you replaced the PSU, and two different hardware devices don't show up in the BIOS, it's could be a power issue, or a cabling issue if you had to disconnect the HDD and DVD during installation.

You didn't mention the new PSU, if it is a modular one, and if so, did you try a different power cable in a different connector at the PSU end, and are you using SATA power connectors directly from the cable, or a conversion molex to SATA power connector? A simple DVM would permit you to measure the 12v line and the 5v line at the HDD or DVD plug end.

Also try a new data SATA cable. the pins in the SATA MB ports are easy to bend if they are on the edge of the MB.
Good to try a different DVD to see if that show up in the BIOS.

Could also be, if you had a PSU failure, or surge, it conceiveably could have caused the SATA controller to fail.

jevan1000

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Unfortunantly I think it may be the Sata controller my PSU did have a power surge or atleast the motherboard said it did before it died no sounds of buring motherboard has anti surge protection so no sure why my Sata controller would die but that's what it seems like the problem is

Status
Not open for further replies.