CPU Throttling in Biostar Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

black_flame843

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
Hi, I have a problem and I've been wondering if can recieve some help from a professional who deals in AMD hardware and other related stuff.
Before I ask my question here is what I'm dealing with.
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 945 3.0ghz
Motherboard: Biostar TA790GXB A2+

Now when I bought these, I made sure they were compatible and bought them from newegg. When assembled, everything worked great, except for the problem of the CPU not operating at 3.0ghz Frequency. A friend of mine introduced me to the term CPU throttling in the motherboard to save energy, have longer life, lower light bill, etc, etc. But here's another thing, some how the frequency is set to 800mhz at default with no tweaks. I looked through the bios to try and disable the power saving features, but I can't seem to get it any higher than 960mhz(this is with the automated clock feature in the bios). The highest I've ever clocked it with AMD Overdrive is to 1.088ghz before experiencing either a BSoD or a freeze up(followed by a loud high pitched sound).
So I ask, is there anyway to take of the throttling feature in this particular board because it's really a pain to not be able to run some of my favorite games due to low cpu frequency....
Side Note: I updated the Bios a few months ago, but I don't know if that even does anything....
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Verify that you are running the most current BIOS.

*Load Default Setup* in BIOS --- save, reboot and enter BIOS

Under the *T-Series* menu:

Raise the *CPU/HT Frequency* from 200MHz to 230MHz
Bump the *Core VID* up either .0125 or .025v
Bump the *NB/SB Voltage Control* to 1.25v
Lock the *SB clock* to 100MHz
Drop the *Memory CLK* one notch (i.e., 533MHz to 400MHz, etc.)
Save and exit

Even with C&Q enabled you should be running 960MHz at idle to 3.45GHz at load. Stress the system and monitor your temps --- with good cooling 240MHz/3.6GHz is easily within reach, HOWEVER ...

You need to email Biostar your OPN# and ask them if your motherboard supports your version of the PhII 945. It looks as if the motherboard is not recognizing...

black_flame843

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

OK, I turned off the "Cool 'N Quiet" feature in the Bios. But it stills seems to be running at 800mhz at default(960mhz with automated OC in bios) Is the ACPI features also need to be disabled because I also turned a bunch of those off too.
Or perhaps now it'll allow OC'ing to a higher level with the features off? I'll try to test it. Hopefully I can make it past 1.088ghz =/

Verify that you are running the most current BIOS.

*Load Default Setup* in BIOS --- save, reboot and enter BIOS

Under the *T-Series* menu:

Raise the *CPU/HT Frequency* from 200MHz to 230MHz
Bump the *Core VID* up either .0125 or .025v
Bump the *NB/SB Voltage Control* to 1.25v
Lock the *SB clock* to 100MHz
Drop the *Memory CLK* one notch (i.e., 533MHz to 400MHz, etc.)
Save and exit

Even with C&Q enabled you should be running 960MHz at idle to 3.45GHz at load. Stress the system and monitor your temps --- with good cooling 240MHz/3.6GHz is easily within reach, HOWEVER ...

You need to email Biostar your OPN# and ask them if your motherboard supports your version of the PhII 945. It looks as if the motherboard is not recognizing your CPU and defaulting to 800MHz (pretty much standard practice).

Sorry to be the bearer of the possible bad news. I'd guess a 95w 945 C2 stepping will work just dandy but you may be running the C3 ...

Bummer.

Solution

loneninja

Distinguished
Is it always running at 800mhz? Does it go up to max speed when you put the cpu under load?

A cpu being stuck at 800mhz is common with the Phenom II when they're on a motherboard that supports them, but the BIOS isn't up to date.

damasvara

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Like the others said, most likely be BIOS issue.

However, you can try and use a small software called K10Stat. It's made exclusively for AMD (does the name K10 ring a bell?). With this software, you can determine the throttling parameters of the CPU. Even better, you can test the stability at each p-state. Give it a try! Of course, if it is BIOS issue, you might have to resolve it first.

Good luck!

carpediem33

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Hi, black_flame84,
I have the same motherboard that you (biostar TA790GXB a2+) and bought a new processor (AMD Phenom II X4 960T) and updated the BIOS to version 78DDA525.bst, but PC not work.
I updated the bios to the newest version 78DDA928.dst and PC loaded the bios, but locked, informing mismatched CPU.
How do you solve this problem between the processor phenom II X4 and this motherboard
You have a more updated version of bios that 78dda928.dst
My email- linoramos@zipmail.com.br

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.