Sign in with
Your question

Granpa destroyed my old computer and is convinced he fixed it

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2010 1:12:27 AM

I am trying to clean WD40 that is basically coating all of my motherboard, and the back of my hard drives, PSU, fans, etc. I was considering using water to clean out the system, but I will have to pretty much disassemble the entire thing and hand clean every component if I go with that option. Also, I need to get a toothbrush and muck the WD40 out of the SATA connectors, empty RAM sockets, etc.

My friend came up with the idea of using a dispersant to get rid of the WD40. I do know that WD40 is a demulsion, and will repel water - so the water idea would either work better or worse than the dispersant.

Also, WD40 is a pretty inert substance, but I am a little worried about the solvents and what they will do to the metal contacts, or if there could be a short or any type of oxidation/corrosion.

Also, would a degreaser harm the mobo at all?

Quote:

Specs (Copied from newegg order):
* 1 x RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply
* 1 x GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
* 1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8400
* 1 x G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

This all basically happened because my granpa is a complete asshole who gets frustrated with ebay. He basically loads up a bunch of bloatware on the computer, then claims that "it's those darn games" that slow down his Internet explorer. I haven't played games on that computer since years ago, and it has been wiped since - but he still claims it's because I used to play games on it. I have been playing tons of games on my gaming computer without a hitch for years now - no problems like slow internet explorer or bloatware.

So my granpa was bitching and whining because I refused to come help him with the computer because he claimed that I needed to work on removing the games (which are not even on the computer in the first place). I came home one day to find him with the computer case open:

Me: "What are you doing?"
Granpa: "Fixing the computer since you don't want to"
He disconnected a bunch of power wires
Me: "Those are power wires. You just need to go into windows and delete the extra programs that are on the drive"
Granpa: "The games are taking up too much space on the hard drive and I heard about a company that will wipe the hard drive if we mail it in"
Me: "Okay fine, I'll fix the computer. Just don't mail the hard drive in"

So I close the computer case, spend 8 ******* hours cleaning up norton antivirus (worse than any virus) and other internet crap like myPCspeedup. The computer was running much faster. I thought the problem was over.

Little did I know, that I had left a power cable dangling. I heard it knocking against the CPU fan for a second, tipped the computer on the side until the knocking noise stopped, then forgot about it. Unfortunately, the cable must have reseated itself, because my granpa heard it later that night and decided to 'go rogue' and deal with the problem himself.

The next day my granpa comes up to me:

Granpa: "The computer was acting slow again, but I fixed it"
Me: "Great!"
Granpa: "It was caused by some moving parts that were grinding against eachother. I put some WD40 in there and it's working much better now"

I didn't really know what to think; I went and opened up the chassis. There was WD40 all over. My granpa must have spent 5-10 seconds spraying WD40 all over the inside of the computer. I was in a state of shock, not sure what I was looking at.

My granpa was still using the computer for ebay, and he is convinced that he fixed the damn computer. Now I have to go and clean up the WD40 that is permeated throughout the motherboard. I managed to get alot of the surfaces cleaned up with a paper towel, but there is still WD40 seeping into the cracks everywhere that is impossible to get out with a toothbrush.
August 4, 2010 1:35:53 AM

My first question is will the thing work after you clean it? I would take each part out and go from there, honestly.

But, you're dealing with a computers motherboard, not a car, so I don't know how you would even "clean" something off a motherboard other than dust...

Damn, good luck dude...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 1:37:03 AM

If he thinks he "fixed it" and it is working, then by all means just let this story end.
Simply say "good job grandpa, let me know if you have any problems with it" and go about your own business. The WD40 won't hurt a thing, actually. You might plug that loose wire back in, but everything else, just let it go. There is nothing at this point you can do that will actually help this situation, you will only make it worse.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 2:04:51 AM

This is a situation where I say: Install linux.
m
l
August 4, 2010 2:42:38 AM

I'm not sure if WD40 will do to anything, but i am with jitpublisher, just let it go and have him let you know if anything else goes wrong

though, interesting story, i would have been pretty angry though

EDIT: it actually may be a good idea to install linux on there so he can't easily mess anything up, or better yet do a fresh install on the computer with him around and show him everything is gone and then install Deep Freeze (so he can't change anything)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 4:47:22 AM

Yeah, contrary to popular belief linux (I used ubuntu) is pretty easy to use for computer illiterate people. You pretty much just show them where updates are, where installing stuff is and where the browser is. Then tell them that they don't need to worry about spyware or virus' and that pretty much everything else just works automatically. No need to worry about drivers or anything. Sell it like that, they'll use it and like it alot. I've done it before.

Especially when people screw their comp to the point of unusability. I fix it once and tell them I won't again, then dual boot linux to start.
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:27:27 AM

Ubuntu does pretty well with the computer illiterate, though you still have to watch out for someone thinking they can free up space and start deleting things or calling you when they try to install something they download (an exe) and can't then persist to scream at you (even after you have showed them how to install programs the easy way)
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:56:50 PM

I have nothing constructive to say about this...however...

the way you described the situation is FUNNY AS HELL!!!!

I can see this situation happening with my own family members...

I'm with the others...if it's working, don't mention the computer again
m
l
August 4, 2010 5:59:18 PM

Oh man, that SUCKS! I'd be so pissed if someone did that to my computer.
m
l
August 4, 2010 6:14:33 PM

Beats thinking spraying FREON will help keep a computer cooler! Yeah that actually happened at our store one day ;-).

I'm with others when I say let it go, don't even help em clean it. If it craps out, lesson learned for him, there are some people not worth helping if they are that stubborn about what they did and until they realize on their own what they did was a big mistake.
m
l
August 4, 2010 6:52:10 PM

Being old is no excuse for being a retard when using a computer
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 7:31:13 PM

The biggest problem with the WD40 is from the accumilated dust which will stick like glue. Can not just blow out with compressed air. Not only will particle accumilation effect conductivity down stream it will also become abrasive.

(1) If works, can leave it and "fix" later

If going the clean route:
(2) Water will not clean and don't really recommend soap - Some including myself have BUT must clean using the following method. Just bypass water/soap and Buy 91 % alcohol, enougth to change out. Place in a glass baking dish (large enought to hold MB). Remove CPU and HSF, memory, and GPU as these can be done seperately. Place in dish, cover with alcohol, and gentally clean with a 1 " soft paint brush. Change alcohol and repeat. Do this for parts removed. Let air dry for a couple of hours. Preheat oven to 150 -> 200 Deg F. Turn off OVEN, let it cool for 15 mins, then place parts in oven and let sit for a couple of hours. Remove and Let it sit OVERNIGHT.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 7:55:53 PM

@RetiredChief
Jeebus, I hope I never need to know how to do that much cleaning.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 8:04:46 PM

Cleaned an old computer that was in a house fire, totaled House. The pearson was a friend of mine and she gave me the system. I took it as a challenge. FDD face plate half melted, Keyboard and mouse totalled (partially melted) smoke coloration all over inside. Dissassembled, cleaned put back together (even dissasembled the PSU). and IT even booted. Was able to retrive her pictures! The Monitor (CRT) was toast.
m
l
August 5, 2010 6:30:39 PM

RetiredChief said:
The biggest problem with the WD40 is from the accumilated dust which will stick like glue. Can not just blow out with compressed air. Not only will particle accumilation effect conductivity down stream it will also become abrasive.

(2) Water will not clean and don't really recommend soap - Some including myself have BUT must clean using the following method. Just bypass water/soap and Buy 91 % alcohol, enougth to change out. Place in a glass baking dish (large enought to hold MB). Remove CPU and HSF, memory, and GPU as these can be done seperately. Place in dish, cover with alcohol, and gentally clean with a 1 " soft paint brush. Change alcohol and repeat. Do this for parts removed. Let air dry for a couple of hours. Preheat oven to 150 -> 200 Deg F. Turn off OVEN, let it cool for 15 mins, then place parts in oven and let sit for a couple of hours. Remove and Let it sit OVERNIGHT.

Wow...this is actually a very useful bit of information...excellent reason for backup! Backup! Backup!

Bit of a hijack here, but I'm guessing you were her hero for rescuing the pictures?

/hijack
m
l
August 6, 2010 2:39:43 AM

RetiredChief said:

Ugh. I'm gonna go with option 1 here.

I will keep the whole alchohol idea in mind though. I know I've used it for CPU slime, but never for a whole mobo.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2010 3:46:50 AM

They actually make electronic cleaner, it comes in a spray can, and evaporates almost instantly. It will clean just about anything, it will clean off the WD40. I have used to clean circuit boards on machinery. But I have never used in a PC.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2010 8:42:56 AM

If you wanna try to clean those perky WD40, try to fine ELECTRONIC MOTOR CLEANER, any brand will do just fine.
It suppose to clean all grease, dust, etc.without giving any damage on most plastics, or electronic components, and should leave no residue behind.
Just disassemble your system, clean it, and make sure it is completelyly clean before turn it back on.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2010 3:01:33 PM

OMG!!! ROFLMFAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I can't even believe what treasure I've just stumbled upon. WD40 inside a computer???

This is the most effing hilarious thread...like ever - apart from the one at OCN that linked Video Games to premature ejaculation!!!

Basically some research said that quick reflexes with the joystick is directly proportional to quick reflexes with the...umm...joystick???

@ OP...surely dude you're making this up? I mean, this is just OMFG!!!! :bounce: 
m
l
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
August 9, 2010 6:18:14 PM

The only way to make machinery foolproof is to keep the fools away from it.
m
l
!