• Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2012 7:27:25 PM

System:

Intel i7-2700k
Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3
8GB Ram
Samsung 830 128GB SSD

Long story short, my desktop started hanging at the BIOS splash screen. When I mean freeze I mean it just shows the ASUS logo screen. I am unable to go into the BIOS, nor will it even attempt to load Windows.

I called up ASUS and got a replacement motherboard. The computer still hangs at the splash screen, despite swapping out motherboards. I then tried unplugging everything until I got to unplugging my 830 drive. Everthing went like normal. Plugged it back in and I got the freezing splash screen. Note I never messed with my BIOS settings, and I did verify everything was correct the moment I was able to look at the settings.

I bought the drive back in June and have never updated the firmware (never had to since things were running fine). One of those "turn on computer in the morning and nothing works" kind of moments. I can plug the drive into my laptop as an external storage and can open up files just fine. I downloaded the Samsung Magician tool to try and maybe update the firmware and see if that does the trick. Unfortunately, it doesn't want to detect my drive. It shows up as my F:\ drive just fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? I really don't want to reload Windows only to have this potentially come up again. Frankly, I don't know if it's more hardware related or what.

More about : issues samsung 830

October 24, 2012 7:47:26 PM

Man that is never fun. Honestly though, if you can see the files, back them up.

I would then reload windows. If its working on another computer it should not be hardware.

As long as you dont lose anything you should be fine :) 
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:33:38 PM

Would you suggest this is an OS error only and not the hardware itself? I find it suspicious that it hangs at the BIOS where it only tries to detect the hardware connected.
m
l
October 24, 2012 8:58:31 PM

SatchBoogie1 said:
Would you suggest this is an OS error only and not the hardware itself? I find it suspicious that it hangs at the BIOS where it only tries to detect the hardware connected.

True. But you have a new MOBO. Honestly, what options are left?

I know it sucks but what can ya do?

At least you have the data from the drive.

only thing you are going to loose is time
m
l
a b G Storage
October 24, 2012 9:44:41 PM

If it's still under warranty I'd remove the data ans RMA it. Sounds to me like sufficient reason for an RMA or maybe a Samsung tech knows how to fix it. I always try to assume I'm not the first person to have a problem.
m
l
!