Solved

Gigabyte Z68 Boot Problems

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Gigabyte
Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2011 2:17:09 AM

Hi all,

I'm at my wit's end here, so I wanted to ask and see if anyone could start me in the right direction. First of all, the hardware:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 Socket 1155
Intel i5-2500k
8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1866
2x Galaxy GTX 460 SLI
Corsair 750w PSU

Second, my problem - I've had weird things happening ever since I got and built my PC, about four days ago, and finally it's just stopped working. I guess I'll start from the beginning. I got everything and put it into a Thermaltake V3 case. It booted and worked ok. Along with my new MOBO, CPU, and RAM I purchased five days ago, I also got my second GTX 460 for SLI. It has a problem with the fan controller, however, and I have to send it back to Newegg.

I soon realized that the case was too small, and so I upgraded to a Cooler Master HAF 922. When I first put it into the new case, it started, and then shut off, then started up again with no problem. I didn't really think anything of it; it has been working well for about four days. My two cards work in SLI, my CPU was OC'd to 4.7 GHz with no problem, everything was fine. I took my second GTX 460 out tonight, however, to RMA it, and that's when my problem started. My PC won't work at all now.

I unhooked everything and removed my GPU from one slot, and replaced my other GPU in the same slot. When I powered my PC up, it started for about 5-10 seconds, then shut down. I went through all the trouble shooting - I thought it was a short from the case, so I removed it and did a "bench test" where I built the PC on a box. Same problem. I removed components one by one and tried. No dice. I tried a different power supply - no go. I'm now down to just MOBO with CPU/cooler connected outside the case on a box, and it still does the same thing; it powers for about 5-10 seconds, then it restarts. I've read most of the troubleshooting guides on Tom's, including the "breadboarding" guide and the FAQ to read before posting about boot problems. I've worked through these guides and still have the same problems. I get no beeps at all, just a restart after about 5-10 seconds.

I have no idea what the problem is - I'm thinking something is wrong with the motherboard. The weird thing is that it worked fine for four days, it' just tonight when I moved the case a bit it started having problems

If anyone has any insight, I would love to hear it. I want to try and find the problem exactly before I send my MOBO off to be replaced.

Thanks any and all for your help.

More about : gigabyte z68 boot problems

a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 3:37:31 AM

Clear the CMOS, and see if that helps.
m
l
a c 122 V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 4:42:36 AM

Just to be clear...
You're using the top PCIe x16 slot for your single graphics card right? If you're using any other slot for the graphics card, that's why it's not booting up.

Also, the memory should be installed like so (assuming two sticks):
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2011 4:12:51 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Just to be clear...
You're using the top PCIe x16 slot for your single graphics card right? If you're using any other slot for the graphics card, that's why it's not booting up.

Also, the memory should be installed like so (assuming two sticks):
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I've already tried this to no avail. When I power it on it always goes through the same routine - it comes on for about two seconds, then goes off, then it comes back on for about eight seconds, and the speaker gives be one beep and the screen shows the Gigabyte start-up screen, then it shuts back off and repeats the process.

It's like there is some type of fault with the power, it's just that it always follow the same patter - two seconds on, off, eight-ten seconds on with beep, then off.

I don't really have any idea.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 8:57:49 PM

Test with a different PSU, if possible. The single beep means it POSTed OK (or at least it does on my Gigabyte P67 board).

What OS are you using?
m
l
June 2, 2011 9:17:23 PM

PreferLinux said:
Test with a different PSU, if possible. The single beep means it POSTed OK (or at least it does on my Gigabyte P67 board).

What OS are you using?

I've tried two different PSU's, my 750w Corsair and another 550w Antec - both capable of running the system. It has Windows 7 Ultimate installed, but it never actually gets all the way to the "Starting Windows" screen, it merely shows the Gigabyte intro screen and then turns off.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2011 12:37:19 AM

Try booting Windows is Safe Mode (as if Windows starting to boot, it is probably a software problem).
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2011 9:34:51 PM

Fmaj731 said:
I've tried two different PSU's, my 750w Corsair and another 550w Antec - both capable of running the system. It has Windows 7 Ultimate installed, but it never actually gets all the way to the "Starting Windows" screen, it merely shows the Gigabyte intro screen and then turns off.

Your problem sounds strikingly similar to the one I had with my p67a UD7 B3.

The computer would occasionaly boot into the OS, but most of the time the computer would cycle on and off every ten or so seconds (somtimes less) until I shut off the PSU manually.

I contacted Intel (seeing as Gigabyte support is worthless) and explained the problem(s) I was having and to my suprise they correclty identified the issue as being a "bad" CPU.

My CPU was replaced with gusto and everyting is now running as it should be.

It may still just be your motherboard but contact Intel, explain the problem and see what they have to say.
m
l
June 29, 2011 7:30:40 AM

Fmaj731 said:
Hi all,

I'm at my wit's end here, so I wanted to ask and see if anyone could start me in the right direction. First of all, the hardware:
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 Socket 1155
Intel i5-2500k
8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1866
2x Galaxy GTX 460 SLI
Corsair 750w PSU

Second, my problem - I've had weird things happening ever since I got and built my PC, about four days ago, and finally it's just stopped working. I guess I'll start from the beginning. I got everything and put it into a Thermaltake V3 case. It booted and worked ok. Along with my new MOBO, CPU, and RAM I purchased five days ago, I also got my second GTX 460 for SLI. It has a problem with the fan controller, however, and I have to send it back to Newegg.

I soon realized that the case was too small, and so I upgraded to a Cooler Master HAF 922. When I first put it into the new case, it started, and then shut off, then started up again with no problem. I didn't really think anything of it; it has been working well for about four days. My two cards work in SLI, my CPU was OC'd to 4.7 GHz with no problem, everything was fine. I took my second GTX 460 out tonight, however, to RMA it, and that's when my problem started. My PC won't work at all now.

I unhooked everything and removed my GPU from one slot, and replaced my other GPU in the same slot. When I powered my PC up, it started for about 5-10 seconds, then shut down. I went through all the trouble shooting - I thought it was a short from the case, so I removed it and did a "bench test" where I built the PC on a box. Same problem. I removed components one by one and tried. No dice. I tried a different power supply - no go. I'm now down to just MOBO with CPU/cooler connected outside the case on a box, and it still does the same thing; it powers for about 5-10 seconds, then it restarts. I've read most of the troubleshooting guides on Tom's, including the "breadboarding" guide and the FAQ to read before posting about boot problems. I've worked through these guides and still have the same problems. I get no beeps at all, just a restart after about 5-10 seconds.

I have no idea what the problem is - I'm thinking something is wrong with the motherboard. The weird thing is that it worked fine for four days, it' just tonight when I moved the case a bit it started having problems

If anyone has any insight, I would love to hear it. I want to try and find the problem exactly before I send my MOBO off to be replaced.

Thanks any and all for your help.

AS dumb as this sounds.......try checking your CPU fan to make sure its turning. I just had the same thing happen to me. I couldn't figure out what the Hell was happening. I'm talking second day after the build, not yet purchased any advanced CPU cooling, just wanted to get the thing built and was using stock intel cpu fan. I finally, after 15 reboots, looked up and saw the cpu fan wasn't turning, thus your 5 to 10 second heat up time, and thankfully your thermal settings kicking in and turning off the CPU. After all the rigs I have built, this was a first for me. I'm on the gigabyte z68 U7, and didn't have any problems with the stock BIOS F4 until I flashed it to F7.
m
l

Best solution

June 29, 2011 7:40:37 AM

just read the sticky here in the forums: a lot of noob stuff., but the section "Boot Loops" is very informative. You should check it out. Talks about the thermal issue and also what I took away from the sticky was how and what the gigabyte boards "do" when they are first powered up, what your initial BIOS settings should be straight out of the box, etc..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275856-30-gigabyte-gu...
July 6, 2011 12:33:41 AM

Best answer selected by Fmaj731.
m
l
November 17, 2014 8:04:25 AM

just to share... ive hade same isuus on my board, tried everything and finally bought a Sabertooth with i7 ...

But i still have my old Ga-z68-ma motherboard.. and since i want to salvage it (with my i5 2500k) i noticed my heatsing over my BD82Z68 was really hot

Put the board on the freezer for an hour,.. and it booted into BIOS for about 20 second befor it freezed and so the boot loop again...
So now im looking at a chipset overhat issue... will look for new paste and mabe a bigger heatsink on the chips.. more to come
m
l