racerboy45

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
What's the norm out there when installing a PSU?, or is there one? Do you have the PSU sucking air from outside the case and then have it sent out the back of the case or do you suck air out of the case and send it out the back??

Thanks..

Solution
@OP
Does your case have any other exhaust fans? If the answer is no, then set the PSU upright so that it takes in air from inside the case and exhausts it out.
On the other hand if your case already has one or two exhaust fans already you could try placing the PSU upside-down and get better cooling for the PSU. [Assuming there is sufficient space between the bottom of the case and the floor].

Come to think of it, if the Case is standing on the floor, you're going to clog the PSU fans easily with dust and that can damage it too.

In conclusion, I'd say upright would be better ;)

Regards
KingArcher

racerboy45

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Tracking on the PSU exhausting the air out the back, maybe my question wasn't stated in the best manner. My case causes me to mount the PSU on the bottom, so depending on how I mount it there I can either have the intake fan bring in cool air from outside the case thru the bottom and get exhausted out the back or I can have the intake fan facing up and inhaling the air from inside the case and then exhaust it out the back. I was just wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages of doing it either way.

G

My computer i just bought has the fan sucking air into the cpu with and exhaust in the back, intake fan in the front.

KingArcher

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
@OP
Does your case have any other exhaust fans? If the answer is no, then set the PSU upright so that it takes in air from inside the case and exhausts it out.
On the other hand if your case already has one or two exhaust fans already you could try placing the PSU upside-down and get better cooling for the PSU. [Assuming there is sufficient space between the bottom of the case and the floor].

Come to think of it, if the Case is standing on the floor, you're going to clog the PSU fans easily with dust and that can damage it too.

In conclusion, I'd say upright would be better ;)

Regards
KingArcher

Solution

racerboy45

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Thanks, I think I will go with it pulling air from inside the case, I have 2 140s on the top of case sucking air out, H50 push/pull from the back and a 120 from the front and 1 from the side pulling air in.