so, what's everybody playing now?

More or less a question for the old regulars, but anyone is welcome to chime
in:

I've got a little time off, so I bought a few games the last couple of
weeks. I still have to satisfy my UT jones for at least a game or two every
day... but I heard a few good things about three games in particular, so I
bought 'em.

First, was Doom3 (I see margolis making a post or two about it in another
NG, so I know at least one person has been playing it). It took me three
days on and off to beat it. I liked it well enough. It felt alot like doom
and doom2 (which is what I was hoping for) but I don't really care for the
online play. The sound was spectacular and I didn't have the issue some
people seem to be having with it being too dark. Turning down the house
lights and turning up the surround sound made it very enjoyable for me. - I
had better luck with my framerates than a lot of other people with GeForce 4
class cards did. Even with dynamic shadows turned on (no tweeks to the
config file, either), I was averaging around 46 or 47 fps and I don't think
I ever saw it dip below 40 even during heavy action.

Next was Far Cry. It seems like a really great game (I specifically like
the vehicles), but I'm going to have to upgrade my video card to something
that will handle 4XAA for me to be able to play it. It gives me a bit of a
headache and makes me a little sick to my stomach even though I get really
good framerates at 1024X768... I think some anistropic filtering and FSAA
will straighten that out for me (damn. time for another expensive video
board) I can only play about 15 minutes or so at a time before I start
feeling a little sick.

I bought PainKiller today. I read good reviews about it. I fired it up and
cruised through the first level just a few minutes ago. It seems a little
easy so far, but I dig the sound and the fast play. In fact, I *really*
like the sound and how fast the play is. The graveyard creatures were
pretty cool, but too easy to kill. - Even if it stays too easy, I know I'll
play it through - and if the online play feels anything like the single
player, I think I'll like it just fine. I haven't gone to find out how to
display my framerates yet, but it was silky smooth at 1024X768 with all the
goodies turned on. It defaulted to "high" on everything... The only thing
turned off by default was character shadows, and I read they are done with
DX9 shaders, so my TI4600 wouldn't show them to me anyway.

What else is relatively new out there that is worth playing? What are you
playing that you can give a good review to?

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>More or less a question for the old regulars, but anyone is welcome to chime
>in:
>
>I've got a little time off, so I bought a few games the last couple of
>weeks. I still have to satisfy my UT jones for at least a game or two every
>day... but I heard a few good things about three games in particular, so I
>bought 'em.
>
>First, was Doom3 (I see margolis making a post or two about it in another
>NG, so I know at least one person has been playing it). It took me three
>days on and off to beat it. I liked it well enough. It felt alot like doom
>and doom2 (which is what I was hoping for) but I don't really care for the
>online play. The sound was spectacular and I didn't have the issue some
>people seem to be having with it being too dark. Turning down the house
>lights and turning up the surround sound made it very enjoyable for me. - I
>had better luck with my framerates than a lot of other people with GeForce 4
>class cards did. Even with dynamic shadows turned on (no tweeks to the
>config file, either), I was averaging around 46 or 47 fps and I don't think
>I ever saw it dip below 40 even during heavy action.

I read terrible things about this game in a NG .. choppiness, frame
rates, darkness, etc. Don't know if its an Nvidia thing (I'm using a
Radeon 9700 pro), but not many people had anything good to say. So,
I've decided to hold off until ...

>Next was Far Cry. It seems like a really great game (I specifically like
>the vehicles), but I'm going to have to upgrade my video card to something
>that will handle 4XAA for me to be able to play it. It gives me a bit of a
>headache and makes me a little sick to my stomach even though I get really
>good framerates at 1024X768... I think some anistropic filtering and FSAA
>will straighten that out for me (damn. time for another expensive video
>board) I can only play about 15 minutes or so at a time before I start
>feeling a little sick.

I played this a little, after hearing all kinds of raves about it.
Yeah, the graphics are very cool, and run fine on my system. However,
I'm not much of a "sneak around and shoot people" type, so this game
isn't my cup of tea .. I'd much rather just jump into a fragfest, like
with UT or Quake ..

>What else is relatively new out there that is worth playing? What are you
>playing that you can give a good review to?

Err .. tried this 3 D Darts Pro Demo .. it was okay, but every time I
played it, the next time I booted, my Norton Anti-Virus was disabled!
So, that game is now off my system (good thing I do regular backups
and can restore to a known good state).

Cheers!

§ï×darts wrote:
> More or less a question for the old regulars, but anyone is welcome to chime
> in:
>
> I've got a little time off, so I bought a few games the last couple of
> weeks. I still have to satisfy my UT jones for at least a game or two every
> day... but I heard a few good things about three games in particular, so I
> bought 'em.
>
> What else is relatively new out there that is worth playing? What are you
> playing that you can give a good review to?

Tribes:Vengeance Public Beta came out, and I've been playing it pretty
much non-stop. It's an Unreal Engine game, so many of the little UI
tweaks that apply to UT2004 also work with it (like keybind toggles and
FOV+MouseSens switching).

And the thing is, it's actually fun. I had fond memories of
Starsiege:Tribes, but Tribes 2 really soured the game for me. This one
is actually more true to the original than to Tribes 2, and the groups
behind it have managed to add new features without throwing the balance
off. It even has a flak-like gun, and a grappling hook/tension launcher.

Meltdown

§ï×darts enlightened us with:
> First, was Doom3

I also play Doom3 every once in a while. I don't have Windows, so I
play it at a friend's. He doesn't have surround, so I can't enjoy the
sound to the fullest yet. Oh well, it won't take long for the Linux
version to be released (I hope).

> What else is relatively new out there that is worth playing? What
> are you playing that you can give a good review to?

Command & Conquer: Generals. Ever since I played it on a LAN party,
I'm completely and fully addicted to the game. So is my girlfriend -
she upgraded her computer from a Duron 800 to an AthlonXP 2200+ in
order to be able to play it at full speed. The Duron played it
allright, but it was rather slow, and since a LAN game runs at the
speed of the slowest computer, it wasn't funny playing C&C with her.
Anyways, the game is great!

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I'm on my second pass at Doom 3. The first pass was more goal
oriented... this time I'm stopping to smell the flowers. ;-) I have
Fry Cry (got it with my new 6800 GT) but haven't gotten around to
installing it yet.

Otherwise, I'm only playing Onslaught. The game is both satisfying
and frustrating. Satisfying because, unlike DM, there are different
roles to assume. You can be gung-ho offense or play only defense. I
try and quickly assess my teammates to determine which role will be
most effective.

And that's where the frustration comes in. Since I'm only playing
pubs, it's luck of the draw as to the quality of your teammates. It's
very frustrating to be *this* close to having a critical node built
and then get blown away while one of your teammates is using the alt
link that could have gotten the node completely built to heal a
vehicle that he will be guaranteed to crash in three seconds. It only
takes about three decent players to make a team, but it's often hard
to find that. And then when you find a server that does have talented
players, then often have a tendency to switch teams so that one team
has all the best players.

I know that playing with an organized clan would eliminate all that
noise, but at the same time I figure it would also reduce it to a game
of connect the dots. Although I bitch and moan about the
inconsistency of public players, it's also can be part of the mix that
makes it exciting. Being able to pull a game out of the jaws of
defeat with a rag-tag bunch of players can be very satisfying, and
that's what keeps me coming back for more.

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
wrote:

BTW, just thought of something and figured I'd ask about it here. I
was goofing around with the game and decided to kill everyone I saw.
(Now *there's* a sociopath for you <G>). Anyway, much to my surprise,
after I killed the first five people I got the Soul Cube??? You have
to kill five demons in the later stages of the game before the Soul
Cube will activate... do you think that maybe there's some kind of bug
in the game that did this or what? Just curious...

Folk wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> BTW, just thought of something and figured I'd ask about it here. I
> was goofing around with the game and decided to kill everyone I saw.
> (Now *there's* a sociopath for you <G>). Anyway, much to my surprise,
> after I killed the first five people I got the Soul Cube??? You have
> to kill five demons in the later stages of the game before the Soul
> Cube will activate... do you think that maybe there's some kind of bug
> in the game that did this or what? Just curious...

I'm not sure exactly what you are saying (I'm guessing you killed everyone
you saw before the place goes nuts and the bad guys start appearing), but in
Nightmare mode, the soul cube appears almost immediately whereas in any
other mode, it does not appear until later. - It might just be a "secret",
though. The soul cube being the most powerful weapon (and also having the
ability to give you health when you use it), perhaps the authors did it on
purpose as a "secret cheat". - The kids these days are more interested in
secret unlock codes and cheats than they are in playing games the way they
are designed, I think (just judging by my newphew's and my son... sheesh!)

danno

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, §ï×darts <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote:
> More or less a question for the old regulars, but anyone is welcome to chime
> in:

Started getting into Colin Mcrae Rally last year. Can't play it in Linux (yet)
so I bought a PS2, which led to GT3 & Star Wars:Racers Revenge. Can't frag
anything with these games, but the action is intense, and CMR has great physics.
Bought UT for it <grin>, but it isn't the same without my mods and keyboard/key-
bindings.

--
Solar-powered Linux: Slackware9.1 2.4.26 IBM ThinkPad560
1993 BRC Banzai w/60T Real Chainring & Shimano Deore XT

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:40:03 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Folk wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>but in Nightmare mode, the soul cube appears almost immediately

Bingo. When I was goofing around with the game, I was in Nightmare
mode. That explains it.

On 10 Sep 2004 04:52:07 -0000, UT_Master
<UT_Master@blackhole.riot.eu.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>More or less a question for the old regulars, but anyone is welcome to chime
>>in:
>>What are you playing that you can give a good review to?
>
>Well...I'm the Greatest UT Player of all Time so it gets a little a
>boring for me since I never lose, so lately I've been jacking off
>while I play. I still win with only one hand but it's a little better
>since I'm jacking off and all.

Impressive.

Am Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:53:19 -0400 schrieb Folk:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:25:57 -0600, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I'm on my second pass at Doom 3. The first pass was more goal
> oriented... this time I'm stopping to smell the flowers. ;-) I have
> Fry Cry (got it with my new 6800 GT) but haven't gotten around to
> installing it yet.
>
> Otherwise, I'm only playing Onslaught. The game is both satisfying
> and frustrating. Satisfying because, unlike DM, there are different
> roles to assume. You can be gung-ho offense or play only defense. I
> try and quickly assess my teammates to determine which role will be
> most effective.
>
> And that's where the frustration comes in. Since I'm only playing
> pubs, it's luck of the draw as to the quality of your teammates. It's
> very frustrating to be *this* close to having a critical node built
> and then get blown away while one of your teammates is using the alt
> link that could have gotten the node completely built to heal a
> vehicle that he will be guaranteed to crash in three seconds. It only
> takes about three decent players to make a team, but it's often hard
> to find that. And then when you find a server that does have talented
> players, then often have a tendency to switch teams so that one team
> has all the best players.
>
> I know that playing with an organized clan would eliminate all that
> noise, but at the same time I figure it would also reduce it to a game
> of connect the dots. Although I bitch and moan about the
> inconsistency of public players, it's also can be part of the mix that
> makes it exciting. Being able to pull a game out of the jaws of
> defeat with a rag-tag bunch of players can be very satisfying, and
> that's what keeps me coming back for more.

Hi, you should use voice chat to explain your tactics to your teammates.
Also when you find a server with players you like, add them to your buddy
list and then always before joining a server, search for them.

hth.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:26:02 +0200, Klaus Bregel <space-orbit@gmx.de>
wrote:

>Hi, you should use voice chat to explain your tactics to your teammates.
>Also when you find a server with players you like, add them to your buddy
>list and then always before joining a server, search for them.
>
>hth.

I'm not a big fan of voice chat. Too many lamers, it doesn't work
consistently, and why should anyone listen to me? Besides, voice chat
is broken with EAX enabled, and I like to enable EAX.

I might try the buddy list thing though. Thanks for the advice.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Klaus Bregel wrote:

> Hi, you should use voice chat to explain your tactics to your teammates.

Meh. I tend to end up with a team full of germans and French. Not a
problem, except when you want to communicate.

I'm not convinced voice comms work well on publics, unlike clan games
where you have some mutual respect to start with.

§ï×darts wrote:
> What else is relatively new out there that is worth playing? What are you
> playing that you can give a good review to?

Hey Six!

I'm actually MUDing atm, dunno why really, but have been for last couple
of months (NannyMUD to be precise). Not relatively new, though, and
probably not what you're after ;)

Will get back to UT and other more 3D'ish games soon!

TRENDING THREADS