Laptop shuts down unexpectedly.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 1:36:22 PM

My laptop shuts down unexpectedly. I removed the battery to discard
any battery-related issues. No difference: it still boots up fine,
works for about 5 minutes, then shuts down.

In the past it used to happen that the surface below the computer
turned very hot if I had it on my lap, especially when using CD-ROM
intensive software, and then the laptop would freeze. Hence, I
suspected overheating.

I decided to remove the keyboard and control panel on top and noticed
that the metal surface on the top-left area gets very hot along with
the power plug-in area. Yet the fan below the keyboard seems to be
working OK.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 9:03:46 PM

Asteroidix wrote:
> My laptop shuts down unexpectedly. I removed the battery to discard
> any battery-related issues. No difference: it still boots up fine,
> works for about 5 minutes, then shuts down.
>
> In the past it used to happen that the surface below the computer
> turned very hot if I had it on my lap, especially when using CD-ROM
> intensive software, and then the laptop would freeze. Hence, I
> suspected overheating.
>
> I decided to remove the keyboard and control panel on top and noticed
> that the metal surface on the top-left area gets very hot along with
> the power plug-in area. Yet the fan below the keyboard seems to be
> working OK.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

What laptop? I would remove the radiation shield, remove the fan, and
clean out the fan and heat exchanger, if it has one.

a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 12:36:21 AM

Bad Processor....

thanks..

Quaoar wrote:

> Asteroidix wrote:
> > My laptop shuts down unexpectedly. I removed the battery to discard
> > any battery-related issues. No difference: it still boots up fine,
> > works for about 5 minutes, then shuts down.
> >
> > In the past it used to happen that the surface below the computer
> > turned very hot if I had it on my lap, especially when using CD-ROM
> > intensive software, and then the laptop would freeze. Hence, I
> > suspected overheating.
> >
> > I decided to remove the keyboard and control panel on top and noticed
> > that the metal surface on the top-left area gets very hot along with
> > the power plug-in area. Yet the fan below the keyboard seems to be
> > working OK.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> What laptop? I would remove the radiation shield, remove the fan, and
> clean out the fan and heat exchanger, if it has one.

| Etop Udoh | Http://www.geocities.com/sdruid11 |
| P.O. Box 1054| Http://www.angelfire.com/ga3/sdruid |
|Snellville, Ga| Http://home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-sdruid |
| 30078 | Http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bit/9122 |
|--------------| Http://home.earthlink.net/~sdruid11 |
| A+ Certified Net+ Certified |
| \/ \/ |
|sdruid11@earthlink.net |sdruid11@bellsouth.net |sdruid11@yahoo.com|
| !! ..........Peace and Love to All......... !! |
a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 6:13:06 PM

Actually, the laptop is an ElitePC machine with an AMD Athlon
processor ( I think it's 1.2 GHz). Where would the heat exchanger and
radiation shield be located if it had them? On the bottom of the
computer?

It surprised me a bit that the connector that goes from the keyboard
to the computer itself partially blocks the airflow through the fan.
Bad design perhaps? But even by putting it out of the way through
keyboard removal, the laptop still shuts down.

Thanks.
Asteroidix.