Your question

Installing memory on motherboard

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Memory
June 2, 2011 4:32:38 AM

Hi, I'm building my first computer, and I've just come across the part where I put everything on the motherboard. So to install ram, depending on your motherboard, theres like 4-6 memory slots each with different colors aligning with the next one, so white blue white blue white blue etc

I've bought 3 4gb ram sticks, and my motherboard only has 4 slots going white blue white blue, and I heard that you can't just randomly put 2 memory sticks in blue and 1 in white as that would not work, they all have to be of the same color, is that true? If so, am I stuck with 8 gb ram?

More about : installing memory motherboard

a b } Memory
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 4:52:34 AM

For dual-channel operation, you should use this arrangement:
Slot 1 (closest to CPU): Empty
Slot 2: RAM
Slot 3: Empty
Slot 4: RAM

You might be able to get the system to run with the RAM in slots 1-2-4, but it won't run in dual-channel.

If it was me, I'd put two sticks in slots 2-4 and sell the third stick. Or return the whole kit for refund and get an 8GB dual-channel kit. If you really need 12GB, buy one 2x4GB kit and one 2x2GB kit so it'll all run in dual-channel.
m
l
June 2, 2011 4:58:56 AM

Ah damn, thanks a lot! I'm just using this for gaming purposes only and I'm guessing 8 gb ram is the standard lot?

I guess we all make mistakes in the beginning:p  Also on the motherboard specifications, where does it say how many of the same slots it has? like white blue white blue, what are those called? DD3 or something?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 5:04:15 AM

Yeah, 8GB is a good amount for present and future gaming. Plus, it'll be nice and smooth for regular multi-tasking.

The specs should say 4x DDR3 RAM slots or something like that.
m
l
June 2, 2011 5:52:35 AM

Btw whats dual channel operation? Is there no way I can stick 2 on the white and one on the blue?
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 107 V Motherboard
June 2, 2011 8:19:30 AM

Dual-channel is the fastest method that board can use to access the memory. As I said in my first post, you might be able to get all three sticks to work in slots 1-2-4, but the system will likely be faster if you just use two sticks in slots 2-4.
m
l
June 2, 2011 8:21:50 AM

Oh I see, okay thanks a lot!
m
l
June 2, 2011 8:47:12 PM

Also, Refer to your motherboards manufacturer instructions.
m
l
!