Sign in with
Your question
Closed

X58A-UD3R Sleep issue

Last response: in Motherboards
June 2, 2011 4:49:31 AM

Hello I recently built my new system this is my first time I am having several problems. I am new with this please help me to solve this problems.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2.0) MoBo
I7 950 Processor
(Patriot Secret 5) (4x4) 16GB DDR3 1600MHz(I removed 2 so I am using 8gb now)
(Graphics) Asus ATI RADEON EAH5770
(Hard Drive) WD Caviar Black 1TB, 6.0gb
(Power) Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
(Case) Thermaltake v9 Blackx edition

(1st.) problem is, when I am putting it on sleep mode It takes about 17 sec to go on sleep and all LEDs shut down.
(2nd) problem, my hard drive makes a lot of clicking noise it's always stressed even when I am not doing anything.
(3rd) I am not sure if this is normal , my CPU temp is 45-50 NON-STRESS , when I was installing updates it went up to 60-65.

(What I have tried)

I flashed the Bios to the newer version FG1 with @bios and loaded optimized defaults.
I changed IDE to AHCI from Bios setup.
I have tried with a different video card and hard drive.
I am using VISTA 64Bit , I also tried Win7 64Bit

THERE IS ONE MORE THING I WAS USING ASUS SABERTHOOT X58 I EXCHANGED IT WITH GIGABYTE UD3R, the reason I did that because system would shut down by itself and freeze and also I had the hard drive clicking problem with asus too.

I am thinking that this could be some Power Supply problem but I don't know how to test it.

I will upload videos and pictures. Please tell me your thoughts about this

THANK YOU !

http://youtu.be/PWJDx5YFIkE

More about : x58a ud3r sleep issue

a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 7:56:18 AM

Quote:
(1st.) problem is, when I am putting it on sleep mode It takes about 17 sec to go on sleep and all LEDs shut down.

OK, that's slow, but I'm not convinced it's an issue at this point. Perhaps it's a PSU characteristic. The screen is going black quickly. The HDD is shutting down quickly. Your CPU is a bit warm so the system may just be cooling it down before it powers down fully.

Quote:
(2nd) problem, my hard drive makes a lot of clicking noise it's always stressed even when I am not doing anything.

It's noisy, but I have heard new drives do this before. They usually get quieter with use, or if they fail they do so soon. It's making noise because when you install Win 7 (or Vista) it does something called drive indexing. It will be very busy for the first day or two.

Quote:
(3rd) I am not sure if this is normal , my CPU temp is 45-50 NON-STRESS , when I was installing updates it went up to 60-65.

You need to measure the core temps using Real Temp
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

If your cores are really that warm at idle then perhaps you have the stock heatsink installed not quite right... but then again if ambient temps in the room are 30C that's probably fine.
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 4:38:51 PM

Using 'Dual' Channel kits in a 'Tri' Channel MOBO won't be my number 1 choice and that may have been the issue with the ASUS.
Installation of Dual Channel Kits:

Depending upon your ambient temps, those temps are indeed high by +5C~10C and are best at ~35C with ambient ~25C. It looks like you're using the stock HSF and you want negative pressure in the case; more are out than in. Test my comparing temps with side panel on and off if there's more than 2C~3C then rework you case fans. Ideally front->rear and top->out; i7 9xx CPUs require good airflow.

As far as the UD3R most of the above I've experienced as well, my solution was to get ASUS P6X58D-E. The 'clicking' more than likely is a Gigabyte <-> Intel SATA corruption, and the simplest solution is to move the drive(s) to the Marvell SATA port(s); use the port closest to the PCB for the primary boot drive.

BIOS:
Load Optimized
Save & Exit = Yes

If you want or change to AHCI then 9/10 you have a registry corruption and need to verify Start values are set to '0' or use the 'Fix it' App.
AHCI Registry repair -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

ACPI and HPET, monkeying around with these settings after the fact can cause even more corruption. The S3 is the preferred S-state and HPET should either match your OS {64 to 64} or use the Load Optimized BIOS.

Early UD3R's 'should' be replaced and sent back to Gigabyte, the early REV 2 has these problems. Also, once the BIOS is set except CPU & RAM {BCLK, Multipliers, Voltage, RAM settings} is best left alone.

Sleep is a complex series of hardware, BIOS and OS and you'll need to run a report to track down the culprit(s) as follows and the 'best' place to look is to generate a report:
MS Link - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976877
Generate a report -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976034
FAQ -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Sleep-and-h...
If you have a Media Reader then ignore the warnings and focus on the remaining items. Also, it's okay to allow your Mouse or Keyboard wake the PC so ignore those items as well.

Last option besides using the latest BIOS is to reformat and re-install the OS **AFTER** the BIOS set-up is satisfactory.

Good Luck - let us know.
Score
Related resources
June 15, 2011 4:48:18 PM

thank you guys for all your replays, I will try to follow to your suggestions. jaquith I first installed the ram wrong but i have fixed that but it didn't change anything , what else could cause cpu high temp ? I believe I have installed CPU correctly .
Score
June 15, 2011 5:00:57 PM

Proximon said:
Quote:

OK, that's slow, but I'm not convinced it's an issue at this point. Perhaps it's a PSU characteristic. The screen is going black quickly. The HDD is shutting down quickly. Your CPU is a bit warm so the system may just be cooling it down before it powers down fully.

Quote:

It's noisy, but I have heard new drives do this before. They usually get quieter with use, or if they fail they do so soon. It's making noise because when you install Win 7 (or Vista) it does something called drive indexing. It will be very busy for the first day or two.

Quote:

You need to measure the core temps using Real Temp
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

If your cores are really that warm at idle then perhaps you have the stock heatsink installed not quite right... but then again if ambient temps in the room are 30C that's probably fine.

this is the results of the test , Thanks for replaying

Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 5:03:06 PM

The temps are dependent upon: Cleanliness of HSF, HSF used, Airflow, Ambient temp, Thermal Paste, and BIOS Settings & Overclock.

BIOS PC Health Status:
CPU Smart FAN Control -> Enabled

Optional but recommended:
CPU FAN Fail Warning -> Enabled
CPU Warning Temperature -> 60C/140F

As I mentioned do remove the side panel and test the differences. Looking at the photo it seems that your case is full of dust. I also recommend the intake fans have filters and you try cleaning the HSF. To clean use compressed air and hold the fan(s) so they don't spin while cleaning.
Score
June 15, 2011 5:17:51 PM

jaquith said:
The temps are dependent upon: Cleanliness of HSF, HSF used, Airflow, Ambient temp, Thermal Paste, and BIOS Settings & Overclock.

BIOS PC Health Status:
CPU Smart FAN Control -> Enabled

Optional but recommended:
CPU FAN Fail Warning -> Enabled
CPU Warning Temperature -> 60C/140F

As I mentioned do remove the side panel and test the differences. Looking at the photo it seems that your case is full of dust. I also recommend the intake fans have filters and you try cleaning the HSF. To clean use compressed air and hold the fan(s) so they don't spin while cleaning.

I just removed the side panel and here is the new results, I dont know how to find the fan filters , how can they be dirty all the parts are like 3 mounts old , thanks again for your reply !

Score
June 15, 2011 5:22:56 PM

can this high temp do damage to my CPU while I am using my pc?
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 6:09:00 PM

The filters are typically included as part of your case. After 3 months it would seem that there's a lot of dust in your home/office. As far as harm, 60C or higher long-term will shorten the CPU lifespan, but I cannot predict the time.

Q - What's the ambient temp?
Score
June 15, 2011 6:09:56 PM

please guys take a look at this video , I had this noise problem with asus saberthoth x58 too , i changed mobo hdd video , but i never tried changing the psu what you guys think plz help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjMHXFCWIPY
Score
June 15, 2011 6:42:24 PM

jaquith said:
The filters are typically included as part of your case. After 3 months it would seem that there's a lot of dust in your home/office. As far as harm, 60C or higher long-term will shorten the CPU lifespan, but I cannot predict the time.

Q - What's the ambient temp?

I am not sure whats the temp in my room but even when its really cool the cpu temp wont go down more then 42C
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 11:33:15 PM

As long as your room temp is under 80F I would say those temps are a bit high. You should make sure the cooler is seated properly. If there was dirt or hair or whatever in the thermal material that might account for it also.

Jaquith has suggested switching your SATA port for the HDD, and that seems like a very quick fix if it works. Has this resolved the clicking?
Score
June 16, 2011 12:43:48 AM

I used ports sata3 and sata6 but I still have the clicking noise I just cleaned the case it wasn't very dusty , as I wrote before I tried using Asus Saberthooth I had the clicking noise on Saberthuth but i never tested the temp on that. Besides the clinking asus was fine sleep mode was working good , before I changed the MOBO to Gigabyte I cleaned my CPU with 99% rabing alcohol and added arctic silver thermal compound , cpu seats correctly I just checked all 4 pins are pushed in its not moving., I don't know what else to do I am more worried abut the CPU temp then HDD . And what you guys think why I don't have my LEDs blinking when it goes to sleep all LEDs shut off.

thank you guys for your replys.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2011 6:54:33 AM

Tips so far are very good.

I'd just like to expand on the RAM topic. You should be running triple channel RAM. That means 3 sticks or 6 sticks. I recommend you install 3 sticks in 3 slots of the same color. That will get your RAM running fastest (compared to 1, 2, 4, or 5 sticks).

Temps--check that Auto on the Smart Fan. If you can't hear your CPU fan, you might want to go to manual and increase the speeds it runs at. Do you have Load Line Calibration (LLC) or VDroop on? 1.264V isn't very high, so I doubt VCore is causing issues.

But it's still most likely a bad CPU seating or bad thermal paste application--at least that's the cause of most of my high temps. I'd put the CPU warning temp a bit higher than 60C because it's expected to exceed that under load at times (unless it's like 65F in your house).

Also, make sure you have Intel Enhanced Speed-Step Technology (EIST) enabled, otherwise your CPU is maxed out all the time.
Score
June 16, 2011 8:26:21 AM

give it some nytol, will make it sleep much quicker
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 16, 2011 1:39:21 PM

Arthur8 said:
I used ports sata3 and sata6 but I still have the clicking noise I just cleaned the case it wasn't very dusty , as I wrote before I tried using Asus Saberthooth I had the clicking noise on Saberthuth....I don't know what else to do I am more worried abut the CPU temp then HDD .

And what you guys think why I don't have my LEDs blinking when it goes to sleep all LEDs shut off.

HDD:
I didn't realize the HDD had the same 'clicking' before. There's 'normal' clicking and there's clicking where the heads 'don't know where to go' {if that makes sense} or pooping; the abnormal sounds are attributable to either a bad SATA communication or a bad HDD. However, since you said this is a long-term problem IMO RMA the HDD. As I mentioned I indeed had a simular problem with my GA UD3R's {10/10}. The popping in {hdd clicking sound} 9~17sec per is abnormal.

Temps:
Try pulling the case away from a corner and/or remove any obstructions. Q - When your case was on top of your desk {see MOV00166 per your YouTube} how were the temps?

Sleep:
Per {MOV00166} the sleep seemed normal, all of the fans should stop and the PC should power down to a low power consumption mode 10~20W with some of the USB power 'on.'

Also, IF you are using ANY of the Gigabyte Utilities e.g. Smart6, Cloud OC, or Easy Tune6 then uninstall them, they are and have been more a problem than an asset. Frankly, the only GA Utility that's any good, optional, is On/Off Charge. Drivers, I assume that you have installed ALL drivers per GA's site especially Intel INF installation, and NEC USB 3.0 Driver etc.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 16, 2011 7:46:41 PM

jaquith, the first link he provided is a short youtube video of the whole thing. You can hear the drive and observe the sleep process yourself.

I do agree that if the drive has been that loud for a while it's probably not a good thing. Seems to be working OK though? I've seen drives that were noisy out of the box but fine after a week. In fact I'm using one right now, been running fine for over a year with no noise.
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 16, 2011 8:16:57 PM

The 'Stutter' is a problem, accessing is not and all of 'my' old UD3R had that problem -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276715-30-x58a-ud3r-r... The replaced UD3R is working okay now; Gigabyte on occasions has produced bad batches the latest were the P67 UD3, UD4 and UD5. The high-end UD7/UD9 are/were perfectly fine.

However, carrying the problem from one MOBO to another suggests the HDD or maybe the RAM causing errors. The OP should also run 2~4 passes of Memtest {bootable CD/DVD ISO/zip} and if there's errors RMA the RAM -> http://www.memtest.org/

Score
June 18, 2011 4:04:28 AM

Thanks guys for helping me.

This is what I did I tried to follow all of your suggestions.

I am using triple channel RAM 12Gb 3 slots same color.
I uninstalled all gigabyte utilities like Smart6 ...
I tested the temp without side panel nothing changed.
I enabled CPU fan fail warning and temp higher than 60C .
I changed the Bios version to the old one.
I can see the CPU fan is ranning.

but it seams noting changed temp is same 42C-52C

jaquith I wanted to test memtest I downloaded the file extracted the boot folder and burned it on a CD but I couldn't load it.

please guys tell me what else I can try , how can I test all the voltages of my PC , I don't know If I could connect anything wrong when I installed all the parts , do you think a wrong connection could cause the problem ? I still think something is wrong with my PSU I want to buy another one to test if it will change anything .

Please give me your thoughts

Thanks all of you!
Score
June 18, 2011 5:30:31 AM

I fixed 1 small problem jaquith I followed your link thanks ))))
I went power options> advanced settings and seated OFF "allow hybrid sleep"
Now my PC goes to sleep instantly after I am pressing the sleep button.

I want to ask you guys if its normal, when I am waking it up the screen comes on it freezes 5-6 seconds until I here the HDD sound and it activates .

And about LEDs I cant get them to work is it how it supposed to be nothing blinks when its on sleep.
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2011 6:21:41 AM

5-6 seconds would be about right to wake up from sleep. 5-6 seconds after you see a login screen or desktop seems a bit odd though. It sounds as if your HDD is having trouble waking.
Score
June 18, 2011 6:52:03 AM

the login screen dosent show up it loads the desktop and it freezes for 5-6 seconds ,mouse arrow won't move until HDD wakes up
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 18, 2011 3:21:56 PM

Arthur8 said:
the login screen dosent show up it loads the desktop and it freezes for 5-6 seconds ,mouse arrow won't move until HDD wakes up

This is normal for Hybrid Sleep - the state is in transition.

S3 + S4 Hybrid Sleep is what you want and it's not -- poof instant. S1 Standby is nearly useless and consumes {wastes} too much power, you might as well leave the PC 'on'. All my PC's are SSD and even then it takes a few seconds to sleep and ditto to wake which is normal. A HDD will take a little longer to S3 + S4 sleep & wake because it takes a while for the HDD to spin to e.g. 7200 RPM much less assess and read data.

However, it's your rig, your way, and your electrical bill $ {extra ~$35/mo per PC} -- I'm trying to save your money. In my house alone we have 8 PCs plus 2 Notebooks combo of media, desktops, server or $280/mo, $3,360+/yr otherwise wasted.

I do know often Gigabyte MOBO's for some reason have problems with S3, and why I don't fully understand. Also, I get that some people have little patients they want instant boot and instant everything -- maybe some day.
Score
June 19, 2011 4:33:24 AM

What about CPU temp how can I run any other tests?
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 19, 2011 5:11:17 AM

If it were me, I would be yanking-off the HSF, clean both the CPU and HSF wipe and clean with Isopropyl alcohol to remove the old thermal paste, use either Arctic Silver 5 or MX-4, and CAREFULLY re-install the HSF. Next, Clear CMOS then followed by evaluating my air flow/case fans.
Score
June 19, 2011 7:49:05 AM

I did clean the cpu with 99% alcohol when I installed it and used new Arctic Silver I think I applied a little more the I was supposed to, I just covered with the thermal paste all the CPU metal part and installed it , should I do it again?
Score
June 19, 2011 5:47:34 PM

Is a piece of cotton good for cleaning the CPU and Heat sink ?
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 19, 2011 9:23:35 PM

NO. That will leave lint behind.

Use a coffee filter.
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 20, 2011 2:51:59 PM

I use a lint free cloth and an old credit card to spread a very thin layer of paste.

However a coffee filter is a new one...

I still think you have poor airflow and/or your rig is pulling in hot air <or> maybe it's warm in your house.
Score
June 21, 2011 7:35:44 AM

Hay guys , I did the following things today

I reinstalled my CPU (removed the thermal compound following the guide and added New Artic Silver 5 )
I tried with a newer PSU 850W (mine is 750W)

SAME RESULT NOTHING CHANGED CPU TEMP 43C-45C

PLEASE GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP
Score

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
June 21, 2011 1:06:18 PM

Q - I've asked before, what's your ROOM TEMP?

If your ROOM is WARM/HOT then the only solution is to get an after market CPU HSF.

Again, I ass-u-me that you are not running ANY Gigabyte Utilities like Easy Tune6...

Compare the temps:
BIOS
CPU Smart FAN Control -> Disabled {runs the CPU fan at full speed}
August 25, 2011 3:07:29 PM

silencio
Score
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2011 8:33:10 PM

Best answer selected by Proximon.
Score
February 28, 2012 4:11:38 AM

If you are heavily overclocking it can prevent the computer from coming back out of sleep. My SB mobo will only allow 4GHz before sleep fails to resume. If it is at 4.4GHz, my UEFI Bios actually gets corrupted....
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 4:20:23 AM

Johnpombrio said:
If you are heavily overclocking it can prevent the computer from coming back out of sleep. My SB mobo will only allow 4GHz before sleep fails to resume. If it is at 4.4GHz, my UEFI Bios actually gets corrupted....

What is your HW?
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 8:21:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!