GA-P35-DS3R 1 long beep, 2 short beeps

linkfieldt

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but I have followed the site and its graphics card reviews for a long time. My computer is water cooled and has been for a couple of years now. It has given me very few problems over the years. Just the CPU and northbridge are in the water loop. Here are the specs i have been running for a while:

Q6600 G0 @ 3.0 ghz (stock voltage)
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
2x2gb G.Skill PC2-6400 (5-5-5-15) (1.8v-1.9v)
geforce 7800gt
Sparkle 350W PS

I've unplugged EVERYTHING except 1 stick of ram, and the GPU. I get 1 long beep followed by two short beeps which SHOULD mean a graphics card error. I've tried another GPU and I get the same error. I've tried booting w/o the GPU and I get the same error. (This is funny to me because it should have a different error according to the manual)

The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error <--- the error i'm getting
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly <--- this should be the error i get when i have NO GPU inserted, right?
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Any help is much appreciated :)

linkfieldt

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Oh, forgot to mention: I have reset the CMOS via the 2-pin connector on the motherboard.

EDIT: Just tried without any RAM or GPU and the I get continuous long beeps, which should indicate that the GPU is not inserted properly. This is very weird.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

If you system has been working for a couple years, could be a component or even the MB. It won't work at all of course without the CPU or any RAM in place.

The 1 lont 2 short points toward the Video Card or Monitor. You tried a different video card, how about a different basic monitor?
The other thing to consider, could it be 1 long and 1 short, which points to the MB or Memory instead. Sometimes the beep codes are hard to discern, especially with the very small pizzo electric "speakers" so to speak