help... when I select certain maps that used to work the g..

mac system 9 ... please help... when I select certain maps that used to
work the game quits. worked fine before on my old HD but I had to get a
new one.... I reinstalled everything but now when I try to play the
newer maps the screen just fades out and the program quits... any ideas
on how to fix this would be appreciated.... it quits when I try to play
Anubis, Veridian or August Moon... my fave, and others .... I'm
thinking it may be a texture that I'm missing but I can't find it... it
fades out even when I go through the game selection menu as well...
Thanks
samurai_ess@yahoo.com
aka billclinton
aka lemonysnickett
BEST!
8 answers Last reply
More about help select maps work

    samurai enlightened us with:
    > mac system 9 ... please help... when I select certain maps that used
    > to work the game quits. worked fine before on my old HD but I had to
    > get a new one.... I reinstalled everything but now when I try to
    > play the newer maps the screen just fades out and the program
    > quits...

    Check the log file in ~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.log and see
    what it contains.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure where to find that unles you mean
    to type that into the system console when the game is running.... I
    tried that and got an "unrecognized command" back

    Best,
    Samurai

    In article <slrnck8a6v.irs.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com>, MeltDown
    <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:

    > samurai enlightened us with:
    > > mac system 9 ... please help... when I select certain maps that used
    > > to work the game quits. worked fine before on my old HD but I had to
    > > get a new one.... I reinstalled everything but now when I try to
    > > play the newer maps the screen just fades out and the program
    > > quits...
    >
    > Check the log file in ~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.log and see
    > what it contains.
    >
    > MeltDown

    samurai enlightened us with:

    Please stop top-posting. I've fixed it for you.

    > In article <slrnck8a6v.irs.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com>,
    > MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> wrote:
    >> Check the log file in ~/.loki/ut/System/UnrealTournament.log and
    >> see what it contains.
    > Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure where to find that

    Well, I assumed that Mac stores the logfile in the same location that
    Linux does. Just search your system for UnrealTournament.log and it
    should show up.

    > unles you mean to type that into the system console when the game is
    > running....

    In that case, I'd tell you "type 'this and that' in the UT console",
    not "check the log file".

    Please, next time, think about the way you post. Many people don't
    think about this and put their reply at the top of their post, quoting
    all of the original post below it. Now take a look at this:

    > Why is top posting so hard to read?
    > > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
    > > When they top post.
    In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

    If people do it the other way around, things will clear up instantly:

    > > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
    > > When they top post.
    > Why is top posting so hard to read?
    In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

    The best response type is "in-line" posting, that is, remove all the
    quoted text that does not apply to your response, adding your comments
    in context underneath as you go.

    The distributed nature of Usenet is causing that not everyone sees all
    posts in a particular thread in the right order or or even at all. If
    you make sure you put your reply in a top-to-bottom order, people will
    be able to easily read through it from top to bottom.

    Be sure to remove all excess quoted text though. There is nothing more
    annoying than having to scroll down three pages of quoted text you
    already read, just to read a two-lined reply ;-)

    A more complete guide to posting to Usenet can be found at

    The relevant section on good posting form is here
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    samurai enlightened us with:
    > Log: AttemptFullscreen
    > Init: Initializing Rave...
    > Init: Rave engine found = ATI 3DRage QD3D Rave Engine
    > Exit: Preparing to exit.

    This is weird. UT attempts to go fullscreen, and immediately after
    that it exits. Try setting up the game so that it doesn't start in
    full screen, and try again. You can do this by editing
    UnrealTournament.ini, which you'll find in the same dir as the log
    file.

    > Sorry I don't post much so I didn't know... Was this one better?

    Beautyful :)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    I tried your suggestion and the game started in small screen mode then
    I selected one of the maps that I can no longer play and the game quit
    again. Any other suggestions? Thanks for helping

    > This is weird. UT attempts to go fullscreen, and immediately after
    > that it exits. Try setting up the game so that it doesn't start in
    > full screen, and try again. You can do this by editing
    > UnrealTournament.ini, which you'll find in the same dir as the log
    > file.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote
    > This is weird. UT attempts to go fullscreen, and immediately after
    > that it exits. Try setting up the game so that it doesn't start in
    > full screen, and try again. You can do this by editing
    > UnrealTournament.ini, which you'll find in the same dir as the log
    > file.

    I tried your suggestion and the game started in small screen mode then
    I selected one of the maps that I can no longer play and the game quit
    again. Any other suggestions? Thanks for helping

    Sorry I top posted again on that previous one
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    samurai enlightened us with:
    > I tried your suggestion and the game started in small screen mode
    > then I selected one of the maps that I can no longer play and the
    > game quit again. Any other suggestions? Thanks for helping

    Ok, so it's not a fullscreen-related issue. I'm drawing a blank here -
    perhaps you could contact the map authors?

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown wrote:

    > Ok, so it's not a fullscreen-related issue. I'm drawing a blank here -
    > perhaps you could contact the map authors?

    I'm thinking that it could be a texture related issue.... perhaps I'm
    missing something used in the newer maps and that causes the crash....
    the thing is I used to be able to play them all and I reinstalled
    everything I had... 3 times even but still no luck.....
    Thanks for the help.... I'll keep trying
    Best,
    Samurai

Video Games