spilt beer on IBM T40

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 4:12:19 PM

Fortunately, it was just a small amount.. It shutdown by itself... and
i basically turned it upside down for hours without trying anything..
finally, cleanup with dry towels etc.. and it works... Yeah, it
works!!! Now i am getting greedy.. some keys on the top right are a
little sticky.. still work well but you don't get the same "typing
experience".. has to be because of the beer.. its not the same crisp
key press anymore.. Any ideas on what to do?? can i take the keyboard
apart and clean it somehow. don't want to mess up other things
though.. please advise..

thanks

More about : spilt beer ibm t40

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 24, 2004 8:11:19 PM

was it at the pistons/pacers game??

"bbzing" <bikjsingh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Fortunately, it was just a small amount.. It shutdown by itself... and
> i basically turned it upside down for hours without trying anything..
> finally, cleanup with dry towels etc.. and it works... Yeah, it
> works!!! Now i am getting greedy.. some keys on the top right are a
> little sticky.. still work well but you don't get the same "typing
> experience".. has to be because of the beer.. its not the same crisp
> key press anymore.. Any ideas on what to do?? can i take the keyboard
> apart and clean it somehow. don't want to mess up other things
> though.. please advise..
>
> thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 2:24:27 AM

"bbzing" <bikjsingh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Fortunately, it was just a small amount.. It shutdown by itself... and
| i basically turned it upside down for hours without trying anything..
| finally, cleanup with dry towels etc.. and it works... Yeah, it
| works!!! Now i am getting greedy.. some keys on the top right are a
| little sticky.. still work well but you don't get the same "typing
| experience".. has to be because of the beer.. its not the same crisp
| key press anymore.. Any ideas on what to do?? can i take the keyboard
| apart and clean it somehow. don't want to mess up other things
| though.. please advise..
|
| thanks

Remove the keyboard from the computer and gently remove the ribbon cable
connecting to the motherboard. Then working over several sheets of
newspaper in a well-ventilated area, spray liberally with Electronic Parts
Cleaner (available at any electronics supply... even stores such as Radio
Shack... but beware not to use Television Tuner Cleaner as this contains a
lubricant as well as a solvent cleaner). Press every key several times to
thoroughly put all the key switches through their motions. Repeat spraying
cleaner. Allow to dry completely. Reassemble and hopefully things will be
good as new.

Jef
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 2:24:28 AM

The IBM web site has instructions on removing the keyboard.
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 4:05:56 AM

Most of those keyboards are plastic-welded together and can't be taken
apart. However, some are held together with screws (lots of them). If
you have the screw-type, you are golden, if not, you are likely screwed.

In most of those keyboards, the active elements are printed conductive
traces on two pieces of plastic (mylar), with a 3rd piece sandwiched
between them. The 3rd piece has a hole at each key, allowing the
outside two to touch if pressure is applied.

If you get ANY liquid into the plastic sandwich, the keyboard is
probably ruined unless it can be taken apart and cleaned.

The "feel" issue is likely in the pluger assembly that "presses on" the
3-layer mylar sandwich. This is not part of the active circuitry, it's
just a mechanical device to "hit" the mylar sandwhich. The problem is
figuring out how to clean it (a simple water rinse would probably do the
job) without getting water into the active "mylar sandwhich", because if
you do, it will probably be ruined. Unfortunately, I don't see any
low-risk process for doing that.

bbzing wrote:

> Fortunately, it was just a small amount.. It shutdown by itself... and
> i basically turned it upside down for hours without trying anything..
> finally, cleanup with dry towels etc.. and it works... Yeah, it
> works!!! Now i am getting greedy.. some keys on the top right are a
> little sticky.. still work well but you don't get the same "typing
> experience".. has to be because of the beer.. its not the same crisp
> key press anymore.. Any ideas on what to do?? can i take the keyboard
> apart and clean it somehow. don't want to mess up other things
> though.. please advise..
>
> thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 9:27:46 AM

His problem isn't going to be removing the keyboard, it's going to be
taking the keyboard apart.

Marc Auslander wrote:

> The IBM web site has instructions on removing the keyboard.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 25, 2004 6:47:33 PM

| His problem isn't going to be removing the keyboard, it's going to be
| taking the keyboard apart.

Hi Barry -

I suggested using Electronic Parts Cleaner to clean the mechanical key
switches -- not the conductive traces -- with the keyboard removed from the
computer (but certainly not disassembled).

I'd avoid using water to clean a keyboard for the reason you've stated in
your post on this thread: get the conductive traces wet with water and the
keyboard is likely ruined.

The original poster stated "some keys on the top right are a little sticky..
still work well but you don't get the same 'typing experience'.." which says
to me the conductive traces are undamaged and all that's necessary is
cleaning the mechanical switches. Washing the mechanical switches with
Electronic Parts Cleaner should restore their functionality.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 12:31:25 AM

I had try many times to clean keyboards after a spill and never could i make
them work properly after. The best thing for you is to try to find a cheap
keyboard in ebay. Is going to be a bit dificult becouse the model of laptop
that you got ibm tp t40 is not very comun.

!