Sign in with
Your question

How much memory do i really need - Workstations

Last response: in Memory
June 2, 2011 8:51:44 AM

Hi guys,

I'm planning on purchasing a workstation soon, but i need advice from experts on how many memory/ram should i be looking at. I will be buying from OEM such as DELL or HP, according to their workstation series there are models which can be upgraded to 16 GB, 24GB,72GB, 192GB.

Running on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS

Programs that i will be using consist of: DS Solidworks, Autocad, Autodesk 3Ds Max, Inventor, Adobe Creative Suite, perhaps Bunkspeed or other rendering programs not to forget MS Office + +

As this is the first time i will be buying a workstation i need feedback or advice from people who's doing the same task and perhaps running programs of such.
I'm looking to optimize the performance of my workflow, in reality do i need 70GB ++ of rams ? The task i will be doing is designing Products, interior space, 3D modeling, Rendering + +

Please advice me,
Thank you very much for your help!

More about : memory workstations

June 2, 2011 10:35:13 AM

Hi,

Unless you are planning on running all those at the same time I wouldn't worry too much. I've been running 3ds Max 2012 heavily on 3bg ram and its fine. Same with the Adobe Suite. Can't speak for AutoCAD and the others though. I've just upgraded to 4gb and tbh i cant see myself needing more than that just yet. I supposed it does however depend on what kind of things you'll be doing within those programs.
June 2, 2011 11:18:07 AM

If you check the vendor websites of the programs mentioned the most that is recommended is 8gbs. Which is a pretty sweet spot as 4gb might be enough to run the programs, but with 8 you can run some browser windows behind them, maybe a couple of programs at once, and will leave you overhead for future software growth. If you need to save the money you could go with the 4gbs.

Also it seems, you'll want to make sure to have an Nvidia video card, as a few of those programs will take advantage of CUDA. You wont need the latest and greatest from Nvidia just one of the more resents with 1gb of video memory to help with the 3d and rendering.
June 12, 2011 2:13:25 PM

Thank you guys for all the answers, appreciate it! :D 
!