GA-P31-DS3L Memory question.

Hi guys,

I have a GA-P31-DS3L motherboard and I'm looking to pick up a q6600 to breathe some life back into it. I currently have 2 x 1gb corsair twinx ram installed and I want to go up to 4gb. The gigabyte website and various forums suggest that this mobo will not take 4 x double sided ram modules as the voltage drain is too high, but the list of compatible ram has only a couple of 2gb modules listed. I am planning on picking up 4 x 1gb value ram from crucial that is guaranteed compatible, but will this limit performance compared to say 2 x 2gb quality ram off ebay? Does anyone know if this mobo will run 2 x 2gb?

Also I have recently installed a radeon 5850 and the performance kicj from my old 8800gt is great, but am I right in thinking this board has a pcie 1.x rather than 2.x slot? If so is there anything I can do about this short of a full upgrade?

Many Thanks,

You're all really lovely people.
3 answers Last reply
More about ds3l memory question
  1. It looks like your board will only handle 4gigs of system memory. It's got 4 memory slots, so I would not put more than a 1gig stick in each slot. I could be wrong but that's what I got after just skimming thru your board specs at gigabyte's web site. And make sure the memory sticks are 1.8V or less.
  2. Hi there,

The specs on your MB show it will handle 4 GB or memory, either 2 2GB sticks or 4 1GB sticks. Also specs at 800/667 MHz. I would buy 4 matched 1GB sticks as Spooky mentioned which are listed on the RAM compatability list. Kingston does make 2 GB sticks but they are at 667 MHZ, and you want to choose the faster frequency for this older MB. Buy a matched set if you can.

This MB has 1 PCI-e x16 slot and other PCI-e x1 slots. If you use 2 video cards, it will at the slowest slot speed. So the best choice would be use the 5850 and if you want to use 2 monitors, connect them both to the 5850 card.
  3. This memory will probably do nicely for your rig.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231136

And that PCI Express x16 slot, is about as good as you can get for a graphics card.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte RAM Compatibility Motherboards Product