Vizio ultrabook upgrade

tntent02

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
I have a vizio CT14 AO ultrabook with a 128 mb ssd,. Vizio doesnt support or reccomend any upgrade. Why? Is it Possible? What types of drive would I have to have ? Any reccomendations or things to be aware of? Im looking for more storage and possibly faster performance. like 256 mb or more would be nice.

AllAboutHD

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

I think you're talking about Gigabytes (GB) and not Megabytes (MB).
I don't know much about ultrabooks, but I do know they're almost not upgradeable.

Looks like you have to stick with what you have or you should've bought a configurable Laptop or Desktop.

tntent02

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
UHHH You are correct GB NOT MB. Silly mistake. Not that long ago 128 mb hard drives existed... As far as upgrading an ultrabook goes, they are certainly not as easily upgraded as a typical notebook or desktop due to their newness and slim form factors and designs. That does not mean they are not or you should not upgrade. Thank you for responding, however I am hoping for a bit more technical answer. For example, Im fairly certain now that it is possible and have learned that the existing drive is a pci express msata. Ive even seen some pics of the drive. What I am not certain about is if Vizio is using some sort of proprietary configuration I need to be aware of. For example, this book uses a "hibernation" partition which I have learned can be utilized many ways by manufacturers as a sort of cache. typically used with Intel Rapid Start Technology to resume the pc sate quickly but may be used a variety of ways. I would still appreciate any thoughts or comments on the upgrade possibilities.

AllAboutHD

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Haha, since you said mb instead of gb I didn't want to go in depth about it. :lol:

If your ultrabook allows you to replace components, I don't think you need to worry about a proprietary config of some sort. This is just my perspective; I have no experience with ultrabooks. It's true what you said about the hibernation part, so do be careful when deciding to swap SSD's. I can't be of any further help here, good luck!