Sign in with
Your question

Need Opinions

Last response: in Systems
August 4, 2010 6:53:21 AM

I need Opinions on this. So i recently build a new computer but wasn't satisfied with results on some games so i want to add SLI or crossfire for better performance. My problem is that my motherboard only supports crossfire and i currently have an nvidia card in it GTX 460 SC, Now would you guy's recommend me changing my whole motherboard and get x2 gtx 460, or keep my current motherboard and get crossfire (problem is i don't know much about radeon products and which ones are good so helping me pick there would be awesome) , or maybe i could just get a gtx 480 and keep my motherboard also, however i read that two 460 perform better than the 480. Another question i have is, i know i'll need more power supply but i was wondering if SLI/crossfire PSU are enough for two video cards, or am i going to need to add water coolant and all that fancy stuff?

btw current comp specs:

mobo: GA-880GA-UD3H
Current card: GTX 460 SC
CPU: AMD x4 955 3.2 ghz
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
RAM: A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
and a 680w PSU

More about : opinions

a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 9:02:01 AM

Tricky situation, in order to get SLI with AMD builds you have a limited option of motherboards, I don't know how well they run . But,

ASUS M4N98TD - $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not sure which card you have, but at a guess Evga SC GTX460 - $239.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $379.98

GTX 480 approximately $489.99

So, it is cheaper to get a new mobo, another GTX 460 and SLI them than it is to buy a GTX 480. On the other hand you may be able to sell your current card for say $200 which means you essentially get the GTX 480 for $289.99 (well, actually, if you take into account the money lost from reselling your card it is actually about $329.99).

So, the GTX 480 is a cheaper option, but then you are stuck with a horribly designed card which I believe wont perform as well a two GTX 460s.

If you go the motherboard upgrade, you also have the option of SLIing cards in the future too.

If you have the money, personally I would go the SLI route, but then I am biased because I think the GTX 480 is an ugly brutish piece of crap
m
l
August 4, 2010 9:10:43 AM

I see i might just change my motherboard and get a AMD 1090T, and return my amd 955 just so my rig lasts me a while. Also if i do SLI would a SLI PSU just be enough?
m
l
Related resources
August 4, 2010 10:17:04 AM

Umm what game are you playing that your not satisfied with the performance? That cards a beast, should be able to handle just about any game really.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 4, 2010 10:25:06 AM

The 1090T wont be providing you anything that the 955 does not. 6 cores is useless for gaming.

Assuming you have not Overclocked the GTX460 yourself in addition to the factory Overclock, the card will struggle with some games at max settings (your card is running around 5850 performance) but in most situations it should cope fine.

I would be looking for about 750W quality PSU (Corsair, XFX) for SLI setup as this leaves room for OCing
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 148 V Motherboard
August 4, 2010 4:54:54 PM

What is the "680W" PSU? That wattage brings to mind a few from Aspire / Apevia, which melt under load.
Anyway...
I share cpatel's curiosity. What game isn't running well? Does it perform notably better depending on whether or not you are using AA?
m
l
August 6, 2010 7:02:38 AM

Sorry for the late response. But yea my PSU right now is from apevia. The game i was playing was just cause 2 everything at Max and i was at 20 fps which was very laggy tbh, if i'm suppose to get better FPS with that game then i don't know what's wrong. Also i was looking at Nvidia SLI motherboards also and not many have good reviews, anyone own one and worked out for you?, also What would you guy's go with i guess i could also do Crossfire and just get 2 radeon cards so i don't have to change my whole motherboard, (Altough i have always been an Nvidia fan,) but whatever's easy i guess, btw i have GTX 460 SC what's the Radeons card of that one? btw thanks everyone who has replied!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2010 7:53:00 AM

Can't help with the other questions, but the 5850 would be the equivalent of an SC GTX 460 (Probably a bit better if you have not OVerclocked it yourself in addition to the factory overclock). Thats if it is 1gb. If it is 768mb then the 5830 is its equivalent but inferior
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 148 V Motherboard
August 6, 2010 9:27:13 AM

Well, it's not related to your slowdown problem, but you should definitely replace your PSU, especially before adding more load to it. Check www.jonnyguru.com for reviews on ANY from that brand to see just how bad they are.
From looking at the benchmarks at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-gf1... though, you should be getting higher FPS. Check your temps; maybe your GPU and/or CPU are thottling due to heat.
m
l
!